ic S/general/checkmark circled Thanks for subscribing! Be on the lookout for our next newsletter.
ic S/general/checkmark circled
Saved to My Favorites. View My Favorites
Articles / Applying to College / In-State Tuition for Son of FL Military Parent Posted in Another State?

In-State Tuition for Son of FL Military Parent Posted in Another State?

Sally Rubenstone
Written by Sally Rubenstone | Sept. 26, 2012

Question: I am active duty military. My home of record is in the state of Florida. I am currently stationed in the state of Virginia. If my son would like to attend a school in FL, will he have to pay out of state tuition?

One of the most complex aspects of the college search and application process can be determining which students qualify for in-state status. “The Dean's" eyes have glazed over many times trying to decipher all the legalese! Thus, I contacted the Florida Department of Education before responding. I wanted to make sure that the news I gave you was not only good but also accurate.

Here's what I found out:

If you go to this Web site, http://files.flvc.org/pdfDocuments/manuals/Residency_Guidelines_October_2010.pdf#1.0-Introduction, you will see these provisions that WILL allow your son to claim residency in Florida for tuition purposes, assuming you have the documentation in bold below:

6.2 Residency Protections and Exceptions/Qualifications for Military Personnel

Active duty military personnel and their spouses/dependents are afforded some residency protections due to their unique circumstances. The following military personnel are classified as residents for tuition purposes:

- Active duty members of the Armed Services of the United States residing or stationed in Florida (and spouse/dependent children) and active drilling members of the Florida National Guard. [s. 1009.21(10)(a), FS]

- Military personnel (and spouse/dependent children) not stationed in Florida whose home of record or state of legal residence certificate is Florida (as noted on an approved DD Form 2058, State of Legal Residence Certificate, or a Leave and Earning Statement, also called an LES or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Form 702).

An individual shall not lose his or her resident status solely by reason of his/her service or, if the individual is a dependent child, his/her parent's service in the Armed Forces outside this state. [s. 1009.21(7), FS]

-Active duty members of the Armed Services of the United States and their spouses/dependent children attending a public community college or university within 50 miles of the military establishment where they are stationed, if such military establishment is within a county contiguous to Florida, shall be classified as residents. [s. 1009.21(10)(b), FS]

Thus your son can apply to Florida institutions as an in-state resident. :)

(posted 9/26/2012)

Written by

Sally Rubenstone

Sally Rubenstone

Sally Rubenstone knows the competitive and often convoluted college admission process inside out: From the first time the topic of college comes up at the dinner table until the last duffel bag is unloaded on a dorm room floor. She is the co-author of Panicked Parents' Guide to College Admissions; The Transfer Student's Guide to Changing Colleges and The International Student's Guide to Going to College in America. Sally has appeared on NBC's Today program and has been quoted in countless publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Weekend, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek, People and Seventeen. Sally has viewed the admissions world from many angles: As a Smith College admission counselor for 15 years, an independent college counselor serving students from a wide range of backgrounds and the author of College Confidential's "Ask the Dean" column. She also taught language arts, social studies, study skills and test preparation in 10 schools, including American international schools in London, Paris, Geneva, Athens and Tel Aviv. As senior advisor to College Confidential since 2002, Sally has helped hundreds of students and parents navigate the college admissions maze. In 2008, she co-founded College Karma, a private college consulting firm, with her College Confidential colleague Dave Berry, and she continues to serve as a College Confidential advisor. Sally and her husband, Chris Petrides, became first-time parents in 1997 at the ripe-old age of 45. So Sally was nearly an official senior citizen when her son Jack began the college selection process, and when she was finally able to practice what she had preached for more than three decades.

More on Applying to College

See all
typing at computer- karolina-grabowska-6958506-resized

Authentic Voice in College Essays

That’s why you want to use your authentic voice when writing any college essay.

So what’s the problem? A student has shared an ess…


College Interview Prep Tips: Brainstorm, Research, Analyze, Generalize

I recently visited Washington University in Saint Louis and was lucky enough to set up an interview. By speaking with peers of mi…

campus gates

Academic Index Scores: Why They Matter and How They're Calculated

Note: Click here for 10 Summer Programs You Can Still Apply For or keep reading to learn more about academic index scores.

8 Podcasts for Students Going Through the Admissions Process

7 Podcasts for Students Going Through the Admissions Process

Podcasts can offer a wealth of information to busy students, particularly when it comes to the college admissions process. We…


Avoid College Application Regrets: Tips For Getting It Right the First Time

Decision Day occurs each year on May 1st and is the deadline for students to inform the college of their choice of their intent t…

Get a student loan that goes beyond tuition.

Ascent offers cosigned and non-cosigned student loans with exclusive benefits that set students up for success.

Explore Now!
Find Your Scholarship

Want to find money for school that doesn’t need to be paid back? Access insights and advice on how to search and apply for scholarships!

Search for Scholarship