ic S/general/checkmark circled Thanks for subscribing! Be on the lookout for our next newsletter.
ic S/general/checkmark circled
Saved to My Favorites. View My Favorites
Articles / Applying to College / Help! My College Closed and My Diploma Has My Old Name On It!

Help! My College Closed and My Diploma Has My Old Name On It!

Sally Rubenstone
Written by Sally Rubenstone | Oct. 7, 2016

Question: I graduated from Heald College (unfortunately), just before they lost their accreditation. And I did acquire a degree. However I have since changed my name. I was wondering if I am fully out of luck here in getting my corrected name on my Degree. Because I cannot get a position with the name ON my degree. If so, are there any other suggestions?

There are two separate but intersecting issues here. The first is the name change, and you are far from alone. A lot of former college students ... mostly women but also men ... will spend much of their adult lives using a different name than the one on their transcript and diploma. Most commonly this change is made due to marriage, sometimes due to divorce, and occasionally for a range of other reasons. From Cassius Clay to Caitlyn Jenner, there are many folks who have altered or abandoned the name they used in their teens and twenties.

So at a typical college, there is usually a straightforward name-change process in place, although some schools make it far easier than others. Alumni who want a new name on their records usually must submit documents that might include a drivers' or marriage license, a passport, divorce decree, etc. to the registrar. Colleges can sometimes be persnickety when the name amendment was made for non-traditional reasons, such as a gender change, and they might demand documentation from a court. Yet ordinarily there are minimal hoops that any registrar will expect ex-students to jump through.

BUT ... that's when there IS a registrar in the first place. When a college has closed, as yours has, you're not completely out of luck but the name-change process can be trickier. Graduates of Heald College, like you, can request a transcript through the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education by submitting the form that you'll find here. http://www.bppe.ca.gov/schools/records_update.shtml. If you have official confirmation of your new name (such as the documents named above ... marriage license, divorce decree, etc.), you can try submitting a copy of it along with the transcript request form and ask the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education to update your records.

If that doesn't work, you can simply submit the documents that show the name on your college records (transcript, diploma) to your prospective employers along with proof that the you with the old name is the same person as the you with the new one. If you didn't change your name because of marriage or divorce and have no official legal proof of the change, you may have to go through your local courts to validate your new identity. You can almost always locate the appropriate forms online if you look under your home state's government Web site. For instance, if you live in California, you will probably find all the information and materials you need right here: http://www.courts.ca.gov/1053.htm If you did not change your name to avoid debt or criminal charges, it's a pretty straightforward process to make the change legal.

You can also try asking a Notary Public to notarize a document that says something like, “Jane Smith is also known as Janet Jones." The Notary may ask for corroboration that's as simple as a letter from two people who know you well (e.g., a parent and a sibling ... not a senator and a judge!) affirming that you have used both names. Talk to the handiest Notary (perhaps at your bank?) to see if that's something that he or she can do.

Finally, if you have any official document with your new name and Social Security number on it as well as an official document with your old college name and the identical SS number on it, most employers will accept this as proof that you are the same person whose name is on your school records.

Bottom line: Employers are accustomed to reviewing applications from candidates whose current names don't match their college names. Thus, although your college no longer exists, you shouldn't have to worry that you can't land a job because of the discrepancy between your former name and your present one; you just may have to work a little harder to verify it.

If this doesn't answer your question, write back and tell me more about your name change. If there are extenuating circumstances (e.g., you are a victim of domestic violence and are wary of a public, formal name change), we'll keep navigating this moniker maze.

Written by

Sally Rubenstone

Sally Rubenstone

Sally Rubenstone knows the competitive and often convoluted college admission process inside out: From the first time the topic of college comes up at the dinner table until the last duffel bag is unloaded on a dorm room floor. She is the co-author of Panicked Parents' Guide to College Admissions; The Transfer Student's Guide to Changing Colleges and The International Student's Guide to Going to College in America. Sally has appeared on NBC's Today program and has been quoted in countless publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Weekend, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek, People and Seventeen. Sally has viewed the admissions world from many angles: As a Smith College admission counselor for 15 years, an independent college counselor serving students from a wide range of backgrounds and the author of College Confidential's "Ask the Dean" column. She also taught language arts, social studies, study skills and test preparation in 10 schools, including American international schools in London, Paris, Geneva, Athens and Tel Aviv. As senior advisor to College Confidential since 2002, Sally has helped hundreds of students and parents navigate the college admissions maze. In 2008, she co-founded College Karma, a private college consulting firm, with her College Confidential colleague Dave Berry, and she continues to serve as a College Confidential advisor. Sally and her husband, Chris Petrides, became first-time parents in 1997 at the ripe-old age of 45. So Sally was nearly an official senior citizen when her son Jack began the college selection process, and when she was finally able to practice what she had preached for more than three decades.

More on Applying to College

See all
typing at computer- karolina-grabowska-6958506-resized

Authentic Voice in College Essays

That’s why you want to use your authentic voice when writing any college essay.

So what’s the problem? A student has shared an ess…


College Interview Prep Tips: Brainstorm, Research, Analyze, Generalize

I recently visited Washington University in Saint Louis and was lucky enough to set up an interview. By speaking with peers of mi…

campus gates

Academic Index Scores: Why They Matter and How They're Calculated

Note: Click here for 10 Summer Programs You Can Still Apply For or keep reading to learn more about academic index scores.

8 Podcasts for Students Going Through the Admissions Process

7 Podcasts for Students Going Through the Admissions Process

Podcasts can offer a wealth of information to busy students, particularly when it comes to the college admissions process. We…


Avoid College Application Regrets: Tips For Getting It Right the First Time

Decision Day occurs each year on May 1st and is the deadline for students to inform the college of their choice of their intent t…

Get a student loan that goes beyond tuition.

Ascent offers cosigned and non-cosigned student loans with exclusive benefits that set students up for success.

Explore Now!
Find Your Scholarship

Want to find money for school that doesn’t need to be paid back? Access insights and advice on how to search and apply for scholarships!

Search for Scholarship