ic S/general/checkmark circled Thanks for subscribing! Be on the lookout for our next newsletter.
ic S/general/checkmark circled
Saved to My Favorites. View My Favorites
Articles / Applying to College / Can I Pay In-State Tuition After One Year in Another State?

Can I Pay In-State Tuition After One Year in Another State?

Sally Rubenstone
Written by Sally Rubenstone | July 29, 2017

Question: I'm about to be a high school senior and would like to go to a public university in a state far from home, but paying out-of-state tuition won't be affordable for me. I've heard that, in most places, you only have to live in a state for one year in order to apply for residency. So, if I pay the out-of-state costs for my first year and then stay in that state all summer to work (so I will have been there for a full year when school starts again), can I qualify as a resident in my sophomore year? Or what if I take a gap year and then start as a freshman the following fall? Can I earn state residency if I have lived in the state of my college for my gap year? Thank you!

Sadly, the answers are “No" and “No." (Not what you wanted to hear, eh?) Although many states do award residency to those who have lived there for just 12 consecutive months (and who can prove this residency ... and the intent to remain ... via various types of documentation), the 12-month rule does not apply to students who have moved to the state for the primary purpose of attending college. So that's the first “No." In other words, if you show up as a freshman next fall and stay through the summer, the main reason behind your relocation was your matriculation, so you won't qualify as an in-state resident.

And even if your initial year in the state is spent working, if you are under the age of 24 your official residency will still be determined by your parents' residency. An exception is made for “Emancipated Students" but emancipation is rarely granted. If you are a ward of the court, an orphan or in foster care, or if you are a military veteran or are married, have a child or are in graduate school, then you can petition for emancipation. Occasionally, there are more subjective reasons for an emancipation petition to be okayed (e.g., if there is physical or sexual abuse in your household). But even if you are paying all your own expenses and your parents give you nothing, you will not be viewed as Emancipated for residency and tuition purposes unless one of the above criteria is met.

You don't say which university you hope to attend, but some states have reciprocity with other states that offer in-state tuition to applicants who reside in another participating state. Usually these arrangements involve states that are close to one another, and you have said that you want to go “far from home," so you may not be able to benefit from this policy. But it's certainly worth looking into. If your heart isn't set on a specific out-of-state school just yet, you might consider one that would grant you in-state tuition. That way, you could enjoy the experience of living in a state other than your own but without the hefty price tag.

In addition, many public colleges have some great “merit scholarships" for out-of-state students. In order to land one, your GPA and test scores will have to be higher than those of the typical admitted freshman. The University of Alabama, for instance, publishes its out-of-state merit scholarship guidelines right on its Web site. See: https://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.php . This transparency is very handy! Sometimes the terms of a merit scholarship include granting in-state tuition to non-residents.

But if you're not swimming at the top of your favorite university's applicant pool, you might also consider paying full freight your first year and then applying to be a Resident Advisor in your second. An R.A. typically receives a free on-campus single room and often meals and other perks. It can be risky to go to a pricey college with the expectation that you'll become an R.A. because competition for these positions can be stiff. But if you set your sights on an R.A. job from the get-go, and if you earn good grades and involve yourself in campus life as a freshman, you'll increase your odds. (Warning: Some colleges only allow juniors and seniors to serve as R.A.'s, so check that out before you enroll if you're hoping for a sophomore-year appointment.)

While residency requirements do vary from state-to-state (and sometimes even from college-to-college within a state), it is universally pretty impossible to pay in-state tuition anywhere simply because you've spent a year (or more) in college in that state or have worked there for a year before enrolling (unless you're Emancipated, over 24, or in graduate school). But don't give up on your dreams without exploring the other avenues noted above that might help to keep your costs affordable.

Written by

Sally Rubenstone

Sally Rubenstone

Sally Rubenstone knows the competitive and often convoluted college admission process inside out: From the first time the topic of college comes up at the dinner table until the last duffel bag is unloaded on a dorm room floor. She is the co-author of Panicked Parents' Guide to College Admissions; The Transfer Student's Guide to Changing Colleges and The International Student's Guide to Going to College in America. Sally has appeared on NBC's Today program and has been quoted in countless publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Weekend, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek, People and Seventeen. Sally has viewed the admissions world from many angles: As a Smith College admission counselor for 15 years, an independent college counselor serving students from a wide range of backgrounds and the author of College Confidential's "Ask the Dean" column. She also taught language arts, social studies, study skills and test preparation in 10 schools, including American international schools in London, Paris, Geneva, Athens and Tel Aviv. As senior advisor to College Confidential since 2002, Sally has helped hundreds of students and parents navigate the college admissions maze. In 2008, she co-founded College Karma, a private college consulting firm, with her College Confidential colleague Dave Berry, and she continues to serve as a College Confidential advisor. Sally and her husband, Chris Petrides, became first-time parents in 1997 at the ripe-old age of 45. So Sally was nearly an official senior citizen when her son Jack began the college selection process, and when she was finally able to practice what she had preached for more than three decades.

More on Applying to College

See all
typing at computer- karolina-grabowska-6958506-resized

Authentic Voice in College Essays

That’s why you want to use your authentic voice when writing any college essay.

So what’s the problem? A student has shared an ess…


College Interview Prep Tips: Brainstorm, Research, Analyze, Generalize

I recently visited Washington University in Saint Louis and was lucky enough to set up an interview. By speaking with peers of mi…

campus gates

Academic Index Scores: Why They Matter and How They're Calculated

Note: Click here for 10 Summer Programs You Can Still Apply For or keep reading to learn more about academic index scores.

8 Podcasts for Students Going Through the Admissions Process

7 Podcasts for Students Going Through the Admissions Process

Podcasts can offer a wealth of information to busy students, particularly when it comes to the college admissions process. We…


Avoid College Application Regrets: Tips For Getting It Right the First Time

Decision Day occurs each year on May 1st and is the deadline for students to inform the college of their choice of their intent t…

Get a student loan that goes beyond tuition.

Ascent offers cosigned and non-cosigned student loans with exclusive benefits that set students up for success.

Explore Now!
Find Your Scholarship

Want to find money for school that doesn’t need to be paid back? Access insights and advice on how to search and apply for scholarships!

Search for Scholarship