Since your daughter seems to have cold feet, it's wise to move her application into the Regular-Decision pool. However, as you and your daughter probably realize, there is usually an admissions-odds boost that comes with an Early Decision application. So your daughter will forfeit this advantage if she decides against applying ED. But she will not be otherwise penalized for this last-minute change of heart. In the past, I've seen families in a similar situation who have worried that there will be some sort of "black mark" stamped on the application folder that says "Fickle!" But there won't be, and I do agree that, if your daughter is concerned that she may not be making the right choice, it's smart to reconsider now.
The only other suggestion I can offer is that your daughter should make the call herself, and she should be sure to get the name of the person she spoke with. She will probably be told to follow up in writing and may be asked to have her school counselor do the same. While she will most likely speak with a secretary, and it might not make a difference that she she made the call--not you, it's still prudent for her to take charge of this sticky situation on her own. There's always a chance that she will be connected with the staff member who oversees her high school, so she should be steeled for that possibility as she dials. (Does anyone say "Dial" anymore?)
Good luck to her ... and to you ... whatever she decides.
Question: If I apply to a college through Early Decision or Early Action, but I am not accepted, can I apply again through Regula…
I am applying Early Decision to Rice. Can I apply Early Action to other colleges?
From the Dean:
College admission regulat…
Do all the other schools know what your early decision/early action school was? Does this play a role in whether to admi…