In order for you to register as a member of the College Confidential community and use the Website, we need to collect and process some information. Depending on your use of the Website, that may include:
- Information you provide – When you register as a user on the Website, we ask you to create a non-personally identifiable user name and to provide some personal information (such as your first and last name, birth date, email address, zip code, status as a high school student, college student or parent);
- Sign-in information – we ask for your user name and password details, in connection with the account sign-in process;
- User communications - When you send email or other communications to College Confidential, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Information submitted by you - information that you submit to College Confidential in the form of comments or contributions to discussions.
- Links - College Confidential may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our search functions, customized content and advertising.
We also collect information through other ways such as through a user's activities and transactions on the Website, including the following:
- Clear GIFs - We may use "clear GIFs” (a/k/a "Web beacons" or "pixel tags") or similar technologies, on the Website and/or in our communications (e.g., in our HTML-based e-mails) which enable us to know whether you have visited a web page or received or opened an e-mail. This allows us to know the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
- IP Address and Clickstream Data - We automatically collect information from your browser when you visit our Website. This information includes your IP address, your browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us and the referring website address.
We will use the personal information you provide to:
- identify you when you sign in to your account;
- enable us to provide you with access to the Website;
- administer your account with us;
- respond to your requests and inquiries, and manage your account and provide you customer service;
- maintain our internal record keeping and otherwise manage our business;
- perform research and analysis about your use of or interest in our products, services or products or services offered by others;
- provide or offer products and services that we believe may be of interest to you based on data you provide and your use of our Website;
- develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our Website and other sites;
- provide our advertisements to you when you visit other sites; and
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
We may also use your personal information to send you e-mail notices and offers and otherwise correspond with you from time to time about products, services, companies and events that we think might interest you.When We Share Your Personal Information
College Confidential only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of College Confidential in the following limited circumstances:
- If we have your consent;
- We also work with third parties, such as ad networks, analytics companies and social networking platforms, and they may collect information about your online activities over time and across the Website. We may also contribute to or participate in cooperative databases, which give other companies access to Personal Information.
- If you choose to enter a sweepstakes, contest or other promotion, your information may be disclosed to third parties who help design, administer and implement the promotion, including in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment and aggregated data analysis. Your information also may be disclosed as required by law, such as on a winners list.
- We work with third party service providers to host our data, including your Personal Information. Some of our third-party service providers may use (now or in the future) servers or operate data centers located outside the country where you live.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to: (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce the Terms of Service and/or Forum Rules, including investigation of potential violations thereof; (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of College Confidential, its users or the public as required or permitted by law; and
- College Confidential becomes involved in a merger, acquisition, or any form of sale of some or all of its assets, and information submitted by you, including your personal information, is transferred as a business asset.
- We may share such non-personal information with our parent, affiliates and/or third parties to develop and deliver targeted advertising on our websites and on websites of third parties, and to analyze and report on advertising you see.
- We may combine Website usage information we collect with other non-personal information we obtain from other sources.
You can use the Website without providing any personal information, however, certain parts of the Website, such as the forums, require that you register as a user and provide some personal information as part of the registration process.
We may allow third-parties, including advertising companies and ad networks, to display advertisements on our Website. These companies may use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to collect information about users who view or interact with their advertisements. These third parties may collect information about whether you, or others who are using your computer, saw and/or clicked on the advertisements they deliver (such as click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over, etc.), and possibly associate this information with your subsequent visits to the advertised websites. We do not authorize the collection of Personal Information on the Website by third parties.California Do Not Track Disclosures
At this time, College Confidential does not respond to Do Not Track browser settings or signals. In addition, College Confidential may use other technology that is standard to the internet, such as pixel tags, web beacons, and other similar technologies, to track visitors to the Website. Those tools may be used by us and by third parties to collect information about you and your internet activity, even if you have turned on the Do Not Track signal.Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of Personal Information we share with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties or corporate affiliates’ direct marketing purposes. That notice will identify the categories of information shared and will include a list of the third parties and affiliates with which it was shared, along with their names and addresses. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the following address:Attn: Security and Privacy Requests
1626 Placentia Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
You must include the statement "Your California Privacy Rights" in the body of the request as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code.Children's Online Privacy Protection Act
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") requires us to inform parents and legal guardians about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information from children under the age of 13. It also requires that we obtain parental consent before we allow children under the age of 13 to register as a member of the College Confidential community. The Website is primarily intended for use by high school and college aged teens and young adults and their parents, and is therefore not intended to be used by children under the age of 13. If you are a user who is under the age of 13, we must have permission from your parent or legal guardian before you can register as member of the Website.
A parent or legal guardian may ask College Confidential to provide them with the information we maintain about their child so that they may request corrections. This information will be sent via postal mail, which we believe is the most secure method of communication. Please contact College Confidential by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing at:Attn: Security and Privacy Requests
1626 Placentia Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
We will need to verify the identity of anyone requesting information about a child to ensure that the person is in fact the child’s parent or legal guardian.
A parent or legal guardian may revoke consent to collect their child's personal information at any time, and they may also request to have their child's personal information deleted and refuse to permit further collection of such information by College Confidential. Please contact us using the process described above if you wish to have your child's information deleted. However, please understand that, even after removal, your child's content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or by others if a user has copied or stored such content.Email Communications
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. For this reason, we try to keep emails to a minimum. We will send you email relating to your personal transactions, and we may send you service-related announcements on the rare occasions when it is necessary to do so. You may also receive certain marketing email communications from time to time, in accordance with your preferences, however, we will give you the ability to opt out of such email communications at any time.
Please understand that if you opt-out of receiving promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with College Confidential.Third Party Websites
We may disclose user information when compelled to do so by government authorities or otherwise as required or permitted by law, such as to respond to court orders and subpoenas. We also may disclose user information when we have reason to believe that someone is causing injury to or interfering with our rights or property, other customers or users of the Website, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities.Security
When you contribute to a public area or feature of our Website, such as the forums, the information that you submit will be made available to the general public. Therefore, we recommend that you do not submit any sensitive information to such areas of our Website, including your full name, home address, phone number, financial information or any other information that would enable other users to locate you or contact you.
Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure email, SMS messaging or similar communications.Enforcement
1626 Placentia Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
When we receive formal written complaints at this address, it is our policy to contact the complaining user regarding his or her concerns. We will cooperate with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that cannot be resolved between College Confidential and an individual.Updating Personal Information
Requests to change your user name or edit or delete posts will not be considered. A user’s email address can be updated at any time by emailing email@example.com with your user name, email address on file and new email address. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that require extraordinary technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical.
User accounts are personal to the registered user. In the event of the death of a user, the user’s account will be deactivated, however, existing content will not be removed from the forums. College Confidential cannot provide any personal information regarding the user or the account (including user name and password) to any family member, next of kin or legal representative without an order from a court of competent jurisdiction compelling College Confidential to do so.Changes to this Policy
1626 Placentia Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Updated February 1, 2018