May 19, 2020
Toh-GA! Toh-GA! Toh-GA!
Another year. Another Top-10 party school list. Time to dust off that Animal House DVD for another viewing.
In my view 99% of colleges are party schools. I can't quote a source on that opinionated statistic, but I'm probably in the ballpark. Take a quick look at the storied histories of American colleges, or colleges anywhere for that matter, and you're going to find a long tradition of getting wasted on weekends (or even during the week).
1. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
2. University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
3. University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.
4. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
5. University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
6. West Virginia University, Morgantown, W. Va.
7. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
8. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
9. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
10. University of Texas, Austin, Texas
As an added bonus, here are the second 10:
11. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
12. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
13. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.
14. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
15. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.
16. Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.
17. Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.
18. University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
19. University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.
20. University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C.
Are you applying to any of these august institutions? If so, better not let Mom or Dad see the list. :-)
Be sure to check out all my admissions-related articles and book reviews at College Confidential.