Pros and Cons of an Online Degree
People will debate endlessly whether an online degree is "just as good" as a traditional degree, but here's a quick summary of the pros and cons one often hears about online degrees. Please note that these points aren't necessarily statements of fact, but rather commonly encountered opinions about online learnings and distance degree programs.
Online Degree Pros
- Lower cost to student than most traditional college programs
- Flexible scheduling accommodates full time work, odd shifts, etc.
- Courses and programs of study offered which may not be available locally
Online Degree Cons
- Lack of in-person interaction with fellow students
- Lack of in-person interaction with professors
- Degree may not be perceived as the equivalent of a traditional degree by some individuals/employers
- Cheating may be easier, leading to doubts about the degree
- Difficulty of sorting out quality programs from less rigorous ones
Online Degrees vs. Traditional