# of APs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: # of APs?
By Jollyapplepie (Jollyapplepie) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

What is a well-planned number of APs? And, which ones are the easiest? Thanks!

By Parhelia (Parhelia) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

what do you mean by "well-planned number of APs"? If you mean the best number to take, that depends on the person. Im taking 3 this year, and it isnt so bad, next year I'll take 5.

By Jollyapplepie (Jollyapplepie) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 09:58 am: Edit

Like, would 10 in Junior and Senior year seem too much?

By Premed88 (Premed88) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:46 pm: Edit

ur taking 10 total ap's??? Yeah, it seems like too much.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

How many of those 10 are you doing in your junior year?

By Jollyapplepie (Jollyapplepie) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

My school doesn't offer APs for Freshman and Sophomore students, so I feel like I need to cram. Anyway, it can't be too bad ... I'll be taking 6 Junior year, and 4 Senior year.

By Graffito1046 (Graffito1046) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

which ones? i could maybe see someone taking five or six "easy" ap classes if they worked super hard...

"easy" to me means ap stats instead of calculus, ap computer science instead of english... that type of thing... ap english and history give out tons of reading, so be careful and don't kill yourslef!

By Jollyapplepie (Jollyapplepie) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

So, AP CS is easy :)? How about AP Econ Micro and Macro?

By Bkwrm98 (Bkwrm98) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Well I know that AP Music is really easy, in my school anyway. But yeah, it depends on the class, because I'm planning to take 5 or 6 AP's senior year, depending on if I want to boost my GPA and waste time by taking AP Art History (also an extremely easy class).

It also depends on how much free time you have. If you are into sports or clubs that meet every day, don't take classes that give a lot of busywork and take up all your time.

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

I took 4 junior year and am taking 4 senior year, the way schedules work at my school only allow for 6 classes, and aps just arent offered for some subjects like junior english, I should've taken one sophomore year though...oh well, also at my school its very hard to get schedules to work out with so many aps' like that

By Abracadabra (Abracadabra) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 01:00 am: Edit

Well, i'm taking a few APs and IBs so what do u guys think of my schedule for Junior year? Please warn me before i get overwhelmed and die -_-;;

IB English HL
IB Chemistry HL
IB Business HL
IB Math Studies sl
AP Biology
AP Macroeconomics

By Kaimeluin (Kaimeluin) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Don't take a lot of AP unless you *like* them. If you like the subject then you won't mind the work. It also depends from school to school which ones are the hardest ones to take. AP Music Theory at my school is extremely hard. I would know. I had it first semester and I dropped it because I was dying. On the other hand AP US History is really easy at my school because the teacher is wonderful. It just depends. Take as many as *you* feel you can do well in. No point in taking them just for rank/because everyone else is taking it. It will look bad to take five or six and then fail all the exams. :\

By Smiley (Smiley) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I'm taking 5 exams junior year...

By Kaimeluin (Kaimeluin) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

So am I Smiley. I'm ready for all except for US History... trying to cram

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

The number of AP's is all relative to your school's curriculum. I ended up taking a great deal of AP classes but only a set number of exams due to the quality of both my study imput and the subject taught. For example, my school has a terrible math and science department, (and coincidently I am a weaker math/science student than the other subjects) therefore I took english lit and lang, spanish lit and lang, U.S. history and gov/economics throughout the years. It's all relative to how you feel you'll perform in the class, and colleges notice that.

By Chibigab (Chibigab) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

It really depends on how much of a workload you want to have. I took 7 AP tests this year (my junior year) and had 5 AP classes [Econ was Macro and Micro, Gov't was US and Comparative]. I only took 1 AP my sophomore year [US His] and plan to take 4-5 APs my senior year. It really depends on what classes your interest lay in. Don't take a class just because it's an AP if you don't think that you will enjoy or learn from the class. Take things that will help you and interest you.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

I know that the "easy" APs, or the ones that aren't given much credit in college admissions offices are AP Psychology, Geography, and Studio Art.

I'm taking two this year (junior): AP U.S. History and Environmental Science
Senior (6): Calculus AB, French, Biology, English Composition, Gov't & Politics, and Macroeconomics.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page