Having a job instead of volunteering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Having a job instead of volunteering
By Hyun (Hyun) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

The last two summers (One between freshman-sophomore year, and the other between sophomore-junior years) I have worked at three different places. The nature of the job was tutoring middle/9th-grade students. Some of the subjects I taught were Geometry, Algebra 1-2 and 3-4. I also led a few SAT-prep classes.

The underside is that I am in only 1 club at my school, (math club) 1 out of school activity (kendo) and I have only 90 hours of community service (which is a graduation requirement).

How will this look on my application? I have a feeling that they will dismiss me as a money-hungry high schooler when the case is that all the money that I have received (accumulating about $2500) had been used for classes and its books (community college).

I come from a family which could not afford for me any extra classes that I wanted to take. Using school grades and SAT scores, I got a job as a tutor and paid for it on my own. In the end how will this situation will be viewed by the admission officers?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page