Need help w/ AP Schedule Decision!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Need help w/ AP Schedule Decision!
By Nautical_2000 (Nautical_2000) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

These are the classes I'll be taking next year:

-English AP
-Government AP (political)
-Calculus AP
-Spanish AP

-Physics IH (the teacher of this class is REALLY difficult and only the "math geniuses" get A's)

-AP Study Hall (this is a regular credit class -- I'm definitely going to be needing this to study and do scholarships...)

-AP Social Studies (this is an online course that will allow me to take AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Human Geography, AP Comparative Government)

My question is, do you think it's wise to take this online course? It's a social studies class which means a lot of reading. however the benefits are that the class meets once a week and the tests are online which means open book.

My other option would be to do away w/ the online course and Study Hall and take AP Statistics offered at my school. Math is not my strong point, but I'm doing well in PreCalc this year.

I know that colleges want to see that you took advantage of all the AP classes offered at your school. But then again, I heard that colleges are also impressed by online courses bec. it shows that you went out of your way to take a class.

So should I take online AP Social Studies and AP Study Hall (which will allow me extra study time), or should I take AP Statistics?

And on top of trying to get into one of the more prestigious colleges, I'm also trying to be valedictorian. Right now I'm the only #1, but I have 2 other competitors who want it bad.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

By Nautical_2000 (Nautical_2000) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

bump

By Rowan (Rowan) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Don't kill yourself. I recommend keeping the Study Hall class; looks like you're going to need all the time you can get for your study. And while colleges may like AP, wouldn't it be better to take an 'at home' study class that lets you take four different APs than just one math AP at school where you already have Calculus AP?

And I have to wonder: how is study hall AP?

By Nautical_2000 (Nautical_2000) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 10:12 am: Edit

it's a study hall that let's you earn regular elective credit. but the thing is, you can only take it if you're in an AP class.

thanks for the advice! if anyone else has anymore advice, i'd be glad to hear it.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Credit for a free period? That is weird...! Also, your school is not using the "AP" name properly. It is a collegeboard trademark and there is no affiliation with collegeboard and "AP Study Hall."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page