JETS and Science Bowl

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: JETS and Science Bowl
By Utop114 (Utop114) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

How do i prepare for the TEAMS competition in JETS and for Science Bowl. Is there a good book or website that is paticularly helpful.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Here's a site with a bunch of sample Science Bowl questions:
http://www.scied.science.doe.gov/nsb/samplqs.htm

By Utop114 (Utop114) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Are these questions from the national or regional competitions?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

At least some of them are national.If you click on one it says what it is on the top of the page.

By Utop114 (Utop114) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

These things questions are testing obscure and weird facts. Is there any book or website I should go to prepare for it.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

I'm only familiar with Science Bowl, and I've only been to the regionals. The questions were much more general in the early rounds, and got much more obscure and weird as teams got eliminated at it got closer to finals. I think Nat'ls is even more so. The team that won our region specifically prepares and has won each of the past few years. Their coach probably has a big file of material accumulated over a long time. Other teams clearly just went based on what the kids had learned in their various classes without any special preparation. You want to balance the team members. The team I was with had way too much physics and math power and zip for biology and earth science. A more balanced team would be stronger.

I think questions from SAT II review books would be good for practice. I don't know of any books specifically to prepare for sci bowl. Interestingly, during team selection, there were people who are very good at math/science on paper and pencil tests who were really bad at science bowl and disliked doing it. The being on stage, hitting the buzzer, rapid pace of it turned them off.

By Utop114 (Utop114) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

Thanks, that should help. Preparing for earth science and astronomy would be pretty hard.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page