Should I take a math class senior year?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Should I take a math class senior year?
By Benjicolo (Benjicolo) on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I'm registering for senior year classes and I'm wondering whether or not I should take a math class. I am almost finished with Precalculus/Trigonometry as a junior. Most colleges that I am looking at require only 3 years of math (Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II) I have completed all three of these courses but Algebra I I completed in 8th grade. The only math course offered beyond Precalc/Trig is AP Calculus. I am terrible at math and although I recieve Bs and Cs, it is a major struggle for me. Should I continue with math and struggle through AP Calc and hurt my GPA or forget about taking a math course?

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

depends on your major and the schools you intend to apply to. colleges dont care which classes you took within reason, as long as you followed your passions

By Apguy (Apguy) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

AP Calculus is arguably one of the hardest course a school can offer. If you get Bs and Cs in math there is a good chance you might get killed in a class like this. I recommend picking up a Kaplan or PR book for the AP Calc exam and seeing if you can understand the stuff. If you can't, drop math. If you can, go for it.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Someone in my school took precalc in 11th grade and then didnt take any math in 12th. He was accepted ea at U of chicago but rejected ed at penn.

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Are you certain that the Alegebra I you completed in 8th grade will not appear on your transcript? The reason I ask is that in our school district high school classes taken in middle school are on the transcript, although they obviously don't get used for GPA calculations. My daughter took Integrated 1, 2 and 3 in middle school (we don't do algebra etc in this district) then pre-calc and calculus in high school, so she currently has 5 years of math on her transcript. I would check with your school.

By Benjicolo (Benjicolo) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

I don't believe that any courses taken in middle school show up on our transcripts. I also took Spanish 1 and 2 in middle school and Spanish 3 in high school and am wondering if colleges will acknowledge that I completed 3 years of Spanish or only recognize that single year in 9th grade? But about taking Calculus, schools that do require 4 years of math start with Algebra 1 and expect you to have completed Geometry, Algebra II and Trig/Precalc in that sequence, right?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page