WHAT ARE WEIGHTED GRADES?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: WHAT ARE WEIGHTED GRADES?
By Mrpancake2000 (Mrpancake2000) on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

I know they are when grades are given higher values for higher level courses, but how many points are given. I know our school does not weight grades, but on our transcript we are given what we *would* have with weighted grades. It is only fractions of a point for Honors/AP classes. Is this the normal method? I always thought it was 5 for an A in AP, 4 for a B, but anyone who knows how it really works?

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

It is, but when you average it with other classes, it becomes a fraction. For example, if you had one AP and the rest regular, with straight A's, you would have

Weighted- 4.17
Unweighted- 4.0

By Mrpancake2000 (Mrpancake2000) on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

thanks...but they actually do give only fractions of points...like, an a in an H/AP class is only 4.2 or 3, instead of 5... but iguess it doesnt really matter because once you apply to college, they have specific directions on what to do with your grades.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page