Exeter info

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Exeter info
By Wt94605 (Wt94605) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Hey, I just got into Phillips Exeter Academy and am concerned because I will be starting as a upper (junior). I am just about to complete my junior year at a public school but opted to go back a year to get in more advanced classes and to fully enjoy the experience. My question is will my starting so late present problems with teacher recommendations, making friends, school ranking, college admissions, and other things like that? I would love it if some one who has experienced this situation or is knowledgeable on the matter could give me some advice.
I also wanted to know how will my current junior grades ( the one done in public school) be dealt with.me some advice.

By Beasley (Beasley) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

yes, dont go there-- they have had numerous serial killers as teachers.

By 300e (300e) on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Congratulations on getting into Exeter. If you decide to matriculate, it will be an experience that will change your life. As for your case, new uppers do face different challenges because most of the returning uppers have already formed solid friendships and lifelong bonds. Do not be discouraged. Arriving as a new upper does have its advantages too.

The beauty of Exeter is that each student is more than willing to try new experiences and meet new people. If you really want to feel comfortable from the first day, try to make a fall varsity team and join as many activities as possible. More importantly, stand out and be loud. Be a leader in your dorm. Exeter is not the school for the timid and shy; join as many activities as possible, not just for college admissions, but to enrich yourself on a personal level.

As for arriving as a new upper, you have the possibility to reinvent yourself. You're past the awkward stage of 8th to 10th grade. You're pretty much a responsible adult and are able to face the challenges of prep school in a more effective manner than the preps can as 14 year olds.

You will find that Exeter students want to meet new people and do not discriminate on the basis of length of stay at school. If you're chill, are sociable, willing to hang out in the dorms, and be involved on campus, you will love it, just as I did.

For teacher recs, most students get their recs from instructors from their upper year and there is always ample opportunity in English and History clases to get individual contact with these instructors. There is no subjective rankings for prep schools as there is for college, but all agree that Exeter is very demanding and that the preparation for college is outstanding.

It's difficult to explain how happy I was to attend Exeter several years ago. I transferred from a public high school to Exeter after my freshman year and am still elated with my decision. If you decide to attend, you will attend arguably the best prep school in the nation. Exeter makes most other prep schools look like preschool.

Take advantage of this opportunity. It will be rough, but it is well worth the journey.

By Bubbles (Bubbles) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

i dont go to exeter, i go to andover. SCREW THE BIG, or rather LIITE RED. Nah, just playing, its a rivalry. Personally, i think this is a decision you need to make by yourself. Academically, it wont be to tough to adjust to, but you will have some social problems. It will be difficult to make new friends and "fit in", and you'll also face homesickness in fall term, which isn't exactly gonna help. It depends on what type of a person you are. Think about it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page