4 AP's in one year?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: 4 AP's in one year?
By Maritimee (Maritimee) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:44 pm: Edit

I got some more info from my top choice college about this program I'm interested in. It's a 5-year program, and I've been trying to find some info about ways in which I could graduate in 4 years. They gave me this chart that includes AP subjects, grades, and the course(s) a person achieving the prescribed grade is allowed to skip.
So, my conclusions were that if I pass the AP US History exam and two other "humanities" exams, I will be able to graduate with the rest of the class there.
I have been planning to take AP Calculus and Physics C next year (because it's fun), and I will need to add the US History course. I will also take Spanish Lang, and study on my own for the Music Theory exam.

So, here are my questions:
1. How tough is the APUSH course/exam?
2. Same for Spanish Lang.
2. Did anyone here studied on their own for the Music Theory exam? How tough was is?

I'm not even sure I'll be able to pull this off, but I sure am going to try... any tips/advice will be appreciated.

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

i took AP harmony, easy •••• -- AP us history, also easy •••• -- but i go to good school -- so i dont know about you.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

US History was pretty easy. I barely read the text last year, and didn't study at all and I got a 4 on the exam. Now, this isn't good for me, because it's the only 4 I've ever gotten, but most colleges will still accept it for pass-out credit.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

My school gives a **** load of work for APUSH!! About 3-4 hrs/night

By Smiley (Smiley) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

What can you do for 3-4 hours/night, Incognito? I'm in APUSH, and we have reading (from our text America's History, 4th edition). If I have time, I sometimes do the reading, but even then it doesn't take more than an hour or so...

By Incognito (Incognito) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Smiley --
What text book do you guys use? In my school, for half the yr we used Bailey/Kennedy, and the other half we used Schlesinger/Blum...

By Chen (Chen) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

I'm taking AP US hist now and it's pretty difficult. During class, we just have discussion. We get an average of 6 pages to take notes on a night, and they take 2 hours (I estimate...if I go at a steady pace and do nothing else, but I spend a lot more time because I multi-task). It really depends what your teacher expects from you. 3-4 hours a night could be caused by extremely detailed quizzes and/or tests. The teacher has said that most people get 4s, some 5s, some 3s.

Spanish is easy. No sweat at all, but i haven't taken it. I know one part of the test is when you have some pictures depicting a story, sort of like a comic, and you have to tell it in Spanish for a few minutes. My teacher says they grade easily.

By Maritimee (Maritimee) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Thanks people. That doesn't sound too bad... I'm not aiming high (I'll be happy with a 3). I just hope I'll be able to fit all those hours of work into my schedule...

By Smiley (Smiley) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Incognito--We use America's History 4th Edition by Henrettta/Broody/Ware/Johnson. We often have 10-15 pages/night...Notetaking helps, but I usually don't have time w/ 3 other APs, sports, many other ECs... Hope not taking notes doesn't keep me from a 5 :-(

By Wisconsinguy (Wisconsinguy) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:33 am: Edit

Just put it this way--last year in my class, we had four 5s, three 4s, one 3, and one 2. Considering none of us really did much outside of class, I think that's pretty good. If you are a sentient being, who knows basic facts about American history, you can pass it.

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

incognito, we're using Norton/Kennedy -- i've seen Bailey from last year..we get about 20 pages of reading everynight, pop quizzes every week...i'd say it takes aboutan hour.

how the •••• does it take u 3-4 hours?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Each night, we'd read a chapter from Bailey/Kennedy for the first half of the year, and then a chapter from Schlesinger/Blum for the second half. Each chapter was about 35 pages in length. For each chapter, we had to write notes (BTW, in case anybody wants them, I saved a lot of my "good" notes on my comp...If anybody wants them, I'll post them here). But the twist is that we had more than just text book work. We also had to read books by certain people (like "The Writings of W.E.B. DuBois" and "The Rights of Man" and "The Federalist Papers"). Some nights (maybe like 1 out of 3 or 4), we had to write 3-page essays (but that wasnt so bad, because the topics were usually very interesting IMO). We didnt have many tests. My teacher knew that most people in my class (about 70-80% or so) didnt take many AP courses, so I guess that he may have figured that we could handle it. I'm a relatively slow reader (180 - 200 wpm). My teacher was like 60 something, and he had been teaching in our school for decades. Not to stereotype or anything, but in my school, most of the teachers who have been around longer tend to offer more strenuous courses. I dont know why. Anyway, my advice to anybody considering taking the course would be to speak to the kids in your school who have already taken it and who know what the teacher was like. My teacher (although we all felt that the workload was excessive most of the time) was fantastic.

By Chen (Chen) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

lol, Incognito, it might be beacuse younger teachers can sympathize with us more about having too much homework, or they don't realize the low scores on AP tests yet.

Knwoing basic facts is fine, but I usually find that in our class tests, I do fine on the factual, but for the essay part, I suck. You really need to know if you can apply those facts and find them in your head, not just have them surface because your mind is provoked by a question. Essays is 50% of the AP test, no?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:38 pm: Edit

To Chen :
Your theory on younger teachers sounds reasonable. I'll accept that.

To any person in general taking to AP test soon :
As for the AP test, memorizing a bunch of facts is good enough for the MCQs. As for the essays, you'll need to know about how to incorporate these facts into a well-developed, organized, and intelligent essay that will impress the readers. How can you learn about writing a good essay for the AP test?...Honestly, I really dont know, because I suck at writing essays.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Learning to write good essays: Practice a lot and get graded....kinda difficult cuz my AP lit teacher gives everyone 8's.....and read a lot of examples of 8-9 essays......try not to make up wars and battles...if you aren't sure, don't use their name...describe instead...not Churchill, British prime minister....detail where you're absolutely sure, correct facts always

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Incognito, your reading rate is probably holding you back in your verbal section of SAT as well. Try to find a speedreading course.
Taking less time to read a selection leaves you more time to analyze the content for meaning--critical reading. Good luck!

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

I already read 4 different books on speed reading:

Super Reading Secrets (by Howard S. Berg)
Speed Reading (by Tony Buzan)
The Evelyn Wood 7-Day Speed Reading & Learning Program (by S. D. Frank)
and
Speed Reading Made Easy(by Nila B. Smith)

They helped to some degree, but not as much as I was hoping for. I'm reading faster now (which is at about the average rate for my age)...

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

bump

By Bkwrm98 (Bkwrm98) on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

I'm taking AP Music in school right now. Get the book Music in Theory and Practice (site is http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/art/benward_white/) and try to get a LOT of listening/dictation examples to practice chord progressions, sightsinging, dictation, cadence ID, etc. I don't think it should be too hard to study on your own, depends on how much you know and how comfortable you are with singing and dictation.

By Kaimeluin (Kaimeluin) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Last year I was so afraid of AP US because of what the previous students told me but they were so lying. My AP US History class is my easiest AP! I've made a 95 average the first semester. I'm making 100's right now. It's probably my teacher, he rocks! History isn't even my subject.

Music Theory is deaaaaaaath. I had piano lessons for 8 years and she taught quite a bit of theory in that time and it will still really hard for me. I didn't take the AP exam.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

The music test isn't too difficult; i got a 5 with independent studying. The book Bkwrm mentioned is what i used. Chord progressions is a major part of the test! But overall, it's relatively simple.

By Mreeves (Mreeves) on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Incognito, can you post your notes for AP U.S History on this website? I could use all the information I can get for the AP exam coming up...I have terms, and that's about it. Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page