Who's in the debate team?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Who's in the debate team?
By Majinjou1 (Majinjou1) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Who's in the debate team in their school and what do you think of it? I personally happen to think that it's probably the best cocurricular activity a high school or college could offer. Oh yeah, which brings me to the next question: How many of us intend on continuing with debate in college?

By Majinjou1 (Majinjou1) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Anyone?

By Rowan (Rowan) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Well... I'm involved in JSA at my school, which is about as close to a debate team as anything gets. Personally, I love it, especially conventions and Congress -- it's the most socially academic thing I've ever done. I intend to continue on with something like it in college, though I'll have to figured out what the differences between JSA and a regular debate team are.

By Baybechick (Baybechick) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:35 pm: Edit

I take debate. I really do like and i wish to be a lawyer in the future does anybody have any info for me like what high school classes I should take to get into a law school?

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

I tried debating once... I found out i lacked verbal BSing skills.

By Dree (Dree) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

I'v been doing LD all through hs and definitely plan on doing parlimentary debate at MIT, where I'm going next year. Debate is really fun. I've enjoyed it a lot.

By Kells (Kells) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

I graduated a semester early from high school so no longer debate but I can attest to the fact that debate is one of the most useful and rewarding activities available. I debated C.X. and spent long hours, early mornings, late nights, long weekends and six weeks of my summer (at debate camp) devoted to the activity and adored every minute of it. Anyone who doesn't mind hard work and gets a thrill from speaking about important issues of the day with equally minded peers should seriously consider joining the activity. The only problem is, I wish more people realized what debate is all about and more administrations supported it. I know of a lot of school teams (mine included) who have hard-working and talented debaters but who aren't given the support or resources by their administration to debate competitively beyond the local circuit. It's too bad because I know that's a large factor contributing to why so many people quit.
And no I won't be debating next year. Sarah Lawrence (where I'll be going) doesn't even have a team. I do, however, hope to judge.
P.S. A good site for debaters (novies and varsity) is www.cross-x.com

By Baybechick (Baybechick) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Thanx soo much Kells, for the advice and the website!!

By Majinjou1 (Majinjou1) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Kells(Kells) what school are you from? What camp did you go to and can you give some insight on how it was? Thanks.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Kells,

I think I may know you. Do you go to school in NY?

By Kells (Kells) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Baybechick: you're welcome! :)
Incognito: Nope-I graduated from a relatively small school in TX. It has a small team and doesn't debate outside of the state so unless you debate TFA, then you've probably never heard of it.
Majinjou: I went to D.C. 30 Round and Stanford Swing and enjoyed both tremendously. (this was the year before last) 30 round is great for novices/intermediate debaters although I don't recommend it for anyone above that. The sheer quantity of practice rounds alone (3-4 a day)makes the camp worthwhile. Your tech improves tremendously, grey areas that once seemed fuzzy become illuminated (it's highly common for the lab leaders to stop you in the middle of your speech and make you do it again over and over until it's right), and you get really fast at spreading. Stanford is another camp that I think is best for novices, intermediate, and beginning varsity unless you made it into Top Swing. (there are 3 levels) Of course, Top Varsity and Mid-Swing (my lab) had some pretty amazing debaters who seemed happy so that's not always true. It's pretty much a mixed bag. At Stanford, you will have awesome lab leaders and solid lectures and instruction. You have to be self motivated though bc no one's going to make you work (and camp is worthless if you don't) Also, the ev. will probably have to be recut (almost every page is reconned and a lot of it is hastily recycled from Berkeley and 30 Round files) For better insight on different camps than I can give, go to cross-x.com's workshops/institutes/camps section.

By Majinjou1 (Majinjou1) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Hey let's keep this thread alive with the spirit of debate. Debate rules!

By Starboard05 (Starboard05) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Debate is ridiculously fun. At my school, the debate team has a huge budget, simply because it is one of the oldest clubs on campus, with even a fancy name - the "Philomathean Society." It's pretty laid-back - we do triple-speaks sometimes and debate each other mostly. We mostly debate parliamentary and oregon-style (a little more similar to ld, but not quite the same). The one that's most fun though, is extemp. because you don't have to do any research and topics range from, "Resolved: Santa Claus should be incarcerated" to "Resolved: Round tables are clearly superior to square ones." I'm not much of a c-x fan though - huge amounts of research and c-xers talk so fast you get the feeling they're trying to slip something by you. In all the c-x debates I've been in, it also seems like it's more an argument about how to get something done rather than the moral issue at hand.

All in all though, once you get over the fact that a dozen pairs of eyes are staring at you, it's really great.

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Debate Spirit is alive! Pull our the briefs!

I'm the former Debate Team president for my school's chapter (Also in Texas-where are you from Kells?) and have enjoyed success in LD and Student Congress. On the flip side, I've competed very often in Oral Interpretation also and have gone far in those endeavors also. I certainly intend on continuing forensics at Northwestern or Brown, although I'm a bit skeptical- If the format is sheerly parliamentary then I will be much obliged...BOO CXers =)

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Debate is awesome! You combine knowledge with quick wit and crazy BSing skills. It's really fun, and you really get into it, especially when it matters the most. I remember going to nationals last year- i was scared as hell, but it turned out to be awesome!!

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 01:23 am: Edit

cool in what event?!

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Made nationals in LD; went to state for OA (Speech) But got my *ss handed to me. My speech was like child's play compared to three others. I'm really interested in Ted Turner controversy, but since you can't do LD and that, i'm doing LD instead.

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Whate state do you represent? And have you gone to Nationals in the past?

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I'm from california, and yeah i did LD in nationals in the past, but i missed the "Quals" competitions in my region...all of them! It really sux.

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

yeah that pretty much does suck =( did you manage to watch any good rounds? Do you know the girl who won nats? I'm from Texas, and the girl who won or atleast made finals (or so I hear) is also from my circuit. I missed district this year for nats and last year i was the alternate :( but i'm over it hehe. The circuits here are rough! State was fun though. You guys have OA? What exactly is that? We only have OO.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

OA is pretty different from Original Oratory. Its where you take a specific peace of legislature or a law, state whats wrong with it, and provide a solution. OO is fun, too. I chose insanity plea for my OA topic. Yeah, the girl who won was from Texas, didn't get to talk to her much, but i saw one of her rounds. She was really good, but her case was kinda weak. She more than made up for it with her CX and rebuttal though. I lost the round before finals. tears tears. jk. It was no big deal, cuz i thought i'd get out first round.

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

yeah thats quite an accomplishment. Have you already qualed this year? Karis graduated so she wont be there anymore, but I'm sure plenty of her schoolmates are going this year (they always do)- Churchill kids. In any event, OA sounds interesting, I wonder why Texas doesn't implement it. The closest I've gotten to Nats was at the qualifying tournament as the alternates for Stu.Congress, OO and Duet Acting. Never quite got there though :( oh well, State is enough for me.

By Jstarz85 (Jstarz85) on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

I LOVE DEBATE!
it is the most enriching and educating activity in high school in my opinion. I enjoyed it sooo much! But I agree, it's a huge administration problem cause our school wasn't able to attend any of the good national tournaments, and we debated more locally, but it was still fun no matter what, we went to 1 national tournament this year. I'm from Michigan.

By Annami (Annami) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

hahahha- I do Ted Turner and LD. Why can't you do both?

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Much Agreed Annami. If only Ted was my style.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Because my league- Marmonte- does not allow both to be done, only one or the other.

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Where is everyone going to College? I'm going to try college debate perhaps in the latter parts of my undergrad years.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page