Taking the SAT twice with over a 1500

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Taking the SAT twice with over a 1500
By Nyugrad (Nyugrad) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:39 pm: Edit

I'm not trying to be wise, but do you think it is important to take the SAT twice even with a good score? This way the colleges know that the score is genuine and that you are looking to improve?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

A quote I've heard: "If you keep taking the SAT, they wonder if you don't have anything better to do on Saturday mornings."

I think it's a question of what your score is and how much you think you can improve it. 10-20 points probably isn't worth it if you're already at 1400 or above; 40-50 points probably is.

My guess--and it's only a guess--is that if you're at 1500+, find something else to do. You have a fine score and are going to look like a score-grubber by taking it again.

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Aww, shucks. I'm a score-grubber. At least I improved 50 points...

By Nyugrad (Nyugrad) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:55 pm: Edit

thanks for the advice,thedad, but I've heard that the colleges want to see that you're always trying to improve and not be smug about a good grade. I'm curious to know your opinion on that. It's a tough call, but one that I'm hoping my child will have to make!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

NYUgrad, which is why I qualified the last part of my answer with "My guess."

Fwiw, my daughter improved the equivalent of 150 points from sophomore PSAT to Fall junior SAT...and she's going to take the SAT one more time, Fall of senior year. She got the score I was hoping for junior year but then I started doing research and finding out just how competitive it is these days...now, I hope she adds another 50-100 points.

Her PSAT's improved only 3 points from freshman to sophomore but 34 points from sophomore to junior.

So you see, I'm not against re-taking. Something from your original post made me assume a score in the 1500-1550 range...could be I'm entirely wrong.

Despite all the score-grubbers, I think a score in that range is good enough for anywhere as long as the other blanks are filled in correctly and if the other blanks aren't filled in correctly even a 1600 isn't going to help.

:) Good for you, Mrowry.

By Smilester (Smilester) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

I don't know what colleges would think, but I know that, if I get close to 1500, I'm done. I'd really rather go out and do stuff Friday night and sleep in Saturday morning. ;-) I know I must sound horribly lazy, but SATs aren't everything...

By Nyugrad (Nyugrad) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

thanks, thedad, I tend to agree with you. What happens if the score is lower the second time? It is a gamble.

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I think scores naturally increase over time, so as long as there's enough room in your score, just wait a few months and sit through it again... at least, that's what I did. You don't HAVE to "study" for it.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

Mrowry, you're right but with one important caveat: I think this is true in the more "normal" range of SAT scores. I.e., it's a lot more likely to improve from 1200 to 1250 than from 1500 to 1550.

I guess my intutive response is: if you got 1500 or more, play the cards as dealt.

If you got less than 1300, take it again.

Between 1300 and 1500, judgement call: on what basis do you think you can improve?

G's Princeton Review tutor told her to take one practice test a couple of weeks before and then to get a good night's sleep before the test and not stress. She got a 1400 as a Fall junior score, now aiming for a 1500. Part of it is, she has the potential to get a higher score if she just stays focused and avoids the dumb mistake...this based on reviewing answers to her practice tests. Also, the PSAT scores (77 verbal, 80 writing) indicate a higher score than she got on the SAT (690).

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Sleep definitely works! The only difference I could tell between the two administrations I sat through was increased concentration.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page