Prep school choice

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Prep school choice
By Mathmajor (Mathmajor) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

I have applied to top five high schools. Andover, Exeter, Groton, Deerfield and Milton. Prep school kids can you comment on these chools. My priority is based on these factors:

1. Financial aid : The single most important factor for me. Even though based on merit I have been funded by private foundations for more than 10,000 per year during high school.

2. College placement restrictions as I need financial aid again in college placement. I am sure my foundation will keep funding me.

3. Music and Orchestras (math and music are equally important to me). I am a accomplished singer as well as orchestra player in my grade level in my big regional program. I would like to tour the world with school orchestra provided funds are avialable.

4. Developing friendship and contacts

By Harkness (Harkness) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:47 am: Edit

>Exeter has an excellent music program and around 30% of the kids get financial aid each year.
>The school has a touring choir of some kind, but I'm not sure when, for how long, etc. (You could call the music department.)
>In terms of friendships, in the dorm you WILL develop life-long friends, its just a function of living together with them for four years.
>I have been impressed with the math faculty, though the style of teaching is more discussion-based.
>The college office has been, so far, excellent.

I really love this place, and i think you will too. If you have any more questions just post them below...talk to you later.

By Joefriend (Joefriend) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:40 am: Edit

Will exeter infrom decisions by email? Thanks

By Starboard05 (Starboard05) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Most prep schools send decisions through the mail in a nice big acceptance package. Email is usually reserved for propoganda and information about the school. For instance, I was on the Deerfield email list for the longest time until I unsubscribed. I do know one kid that applied to Andover in July though, and they phoned him to tell him he was accepted.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

To MATHMAJOR
Hi, I saw your message dated Feb. 27, and I just wanted to share my comments. I applied to three of the schools you are considering. My status? Andover- denied, Exeter- wait listed, Milton- accepted. I believe the average SSAT score for Andover is 93, 87 for Exeter, and 91 for Milton. I was perusing the Milton catalog and read that some magazine rated Milton's jazz program as best in the country among all secondary schools. You may have a copy of Milton's brochure...I'm sure it's somewhere there. So if you're really big on music, I guess Milton has an excellent program for you (although I'm sure Andover, Exeter, and other schools to which you applied may also offer good music programs).

I was curious as to where you were offered admission- that is, if you are willing to share that info. I received 4 other acceptances, but I'm keeping my eyes on Milton! hehe. I hope you'll respond to this message. You can also send me an email at gianscolere@aol.com . Thanks.

-Gian

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

if you are looking for a great music program, try Concord Academy...a smaller prestigious prep school in massachusetts. A number of those kids get into Juiliard..which is saying quite a bit.

By Mathmajor (Mathmajor) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Well I got in all the schools. I am not sure where I will be matriculating. It is a tough choice (and a very personal one). It is tough to decide. Damn it I did not think that this will be such a complicated matter. I would be visiting few schools. Hey milton is a very fine school. I like it a lot. Good luck to you.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I'm guessing you'd either attend Andover or Exeter. Whatever your choice, GOOD LUCK and CONGRATULATIONS!!! I truly am happy for you.

By the way, what's your first name? Mine is Gian (as mentioned on my screen name). I'll be visiting Milton on April 3. Which schools are you planning to visit?

By Wealthyivygirl (Wealthyivygirl) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 06:55 am: Edit

Gianscolere: maybe their reasons for not accepting you were legit, considering you spell 'pursue' with an e: "perusing"

food for thought...spelling is usually a pretty fair indicator of someone's verbal intelligence.

By Starboard05 (Starboard05) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

....or maybe gianscolere was actually using the very legitimate word "perusing," which means to flip through, or read through in a casual or cursory manner, according to the merriam-webster dictionary. "Pursue" would be in the wrong context anyways so you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

and also, your name is one of the most specious, pretentious names i've seen on the message board. do you even go to an ivy?

food for thought... knowing what word you want to use is usually a pretty fair indicator of someone's general intelligence... oh well... looks like we know your results for that one.

By Kid13 (Kid13) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

peruse is misused more often than it is used correctly.
peruse means "to read carefully with great care"
. It does not mean to skim or read quickly as many people think..

By Starboard05 (Starboard05) on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

http://www.m-w.com/

One entry found for peruse.

Main Entry: pe·ruse
Pronunciation: p&-'rüz
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): pe·rused; pe·rus·ing
Etymology: Middle English, to use up, deal with in sequence, from Latin per- thoroughly + Middle English usen to use
Date: 1532
1 a : to examine or consider with attention and in detail : STUDY b : to look over or through in a casual or cursory manner
2 : READ; especially : to read over in an attentive or leisurely manner
- pe·rus·al /-'rü-z&l/ noun
- pe·rus·er noun

both are correct

By Upenn06 (Upenn06) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

DEERFIELD ACADEMY = best school on the face of the earth.

NOTHING COMPARES TO IT.

GO BIG GREEN!!!

d.a.'02

By Pilotman (Pilotman) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Just for the sake of getting it right, the name of the school is Philips Academy not Andover. Andover is the name of the town the school. For some reason these rich preppies think they own the town. They're all very arrogant and think just because they go there they are some how going to get into am ivy. No, the schools don't guarantee that, sorry. Phillips even has Andover plastered over their sports teams shirts, which looks ridiculous since the jersey look very similar to the local high school. You are doing a disservice to the town by calling it Andover because you're totally ignoring the normal folk that live there and don't happen do be as privileged.

By Upenn06 (Upenn06) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

pilotman,

i'd stop trying to deny the obvious, which is that 'PHILIPS ACADEMY' owns the town. I went to Deerfield and it's the same deal. Deerfield Academy is our name but who the hell calls it that? Our uniforms say 'Deerfield' because when something's green and white and says 'Deerfield' EVERYONE knows we're Deerfield Academy or 'the big green.'

Same goes for ANDOVER. blue and white and it says "andover" means it's ANDOVER, not some local public high school.

if you're so bitter about andover kids (whom i have a lot of respect for because they work as hard as us deerfield kids), why don't you apply as a day student and try to get something out of it?

By Pilotman (Pilotman) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

if i dont like them and am so bitter then why would i ever apply??????

By Upenn06 (Upenn06) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

cuz ur bitter because u dont attend

By Andover05 (Andover05) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

To pilotman, first off, there are not a lot of people who live in Andover who "aren't as priveleged" and secondly, Phillips Academy is called Andover because of Phillips Exeter Academy. The name Andover is given to the school because there are 2 Phillips Academies, and Andover and Exeter are easier to differentiate. Phillips Exeter has Exeter in their name because they were founded after Andover was. Oh, and also, the sports jerseys are not modeled after the town's schools, they modeled theirs after us. Which school was established first? And my last point, the town is wrapped up in our sports because we happen not to be horrible, and because us being here boosts the sales and helps the businesses around here to stay open. So next time, think before you write, and then think again, because by the ignorance you show, it would not hurt to think through more than 1 time.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page