Summer Research opportunities in Computer Science

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Summer Research opportunities in Computer Science
By KAS on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:43 am: Edit

I am a High School Junior and one of the World's Youngest:
MCSD (Microsoft certified Systems Developer)
MSDBA(Microsoft certified Database Administrator)
MCSE(Microsoft certified System Engineer)
SCJP (Sun Certified Java Programmer)

In addition I am e-certified in a number of software languages including SQL,Java,VB etc.

I am interested in working in summer on some research projectin computer science with faculty at a University where I am able to apply my skills and learn at the same time.
I would highly appreciate any assisstance in this respect.

By goCS on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:11 am: Edit

Hey.. I can't help you out with the research idea, but I was just wondering, how would a fellow junior go about pursuing those certifications? What did you do to learn the necessary information? People consider me a "computer whiz" and I am considering computer engineering or computer programming as a major, but my only programming experience has been taking an introductory Java class this year, and beginning to teach myself some PHP and mySQL for web development. Just interested in how you did all this, thanks.

By KAS on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:08 pm: Edit

I did it by self studying and practice. I have never attended any tutoring center for computer / certification study. I obtained my Microsoft certifications when I was 13 years and Sun Java certificate when I was 14 years. In addition my other computer skills are:
Languages: Visual Basic, Java, HTML, SQL, Visual FoxPro, ASP, VB Script, Java Script, MS Access, XML, VB.NET, ASP.NET, Pascal, C++
Interfaces: ADO, OLE DB, COM/DCOM, Active X
Server Administration: MS SQL Server, MS IIS, MS Windows NT/2000/XP

My humble suggestion is study through books,study guides and join few discussion groups on net.And practice.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.I am ready to give you my e-mail:karim.s@rocketmail.com
Can you spread my request to people you know.Thanks

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

You computer whizzes should check out the USA Computing Olympiad. They have training materials on the web, as well as internet contests throught the year to select 16 students for a special (free)summer training program to prepare for the Int'l competition. Go to www.usaco.org

By Wesdillingham (Wesdillingham) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:03 pm: Edit

KAS i seriously doubt that you are capable of all of these:
Visual Basic, Java, HTML, SQL, Visual FoxPro, ASP, VB Script, Java Script, MS Access, XML, VB.NET, ASP.NET, Pascal, C++
granted you may be familiar with them, delving deep into java, c++, pascal, anf vfp would take longer than you have been capable of comprehension. and if you are certified and good in all of these, screw college go get a job now!

By Adela (Adela) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 02:26 am: Edit

kas im very curious: do u still remmeber most of different fomats/commands 4 these languages? i see that u got a certificate one after another in diff. years, do u just look at old programs to review codes adn cmds?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page