Skipping from Alg2/Trig Honors to AP Calc?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May 2004 Archive: Skipping from Alg2/Trig Honors to AP Calc?
By Fea (Fea) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

I'm a 10th grader and I've done great in Algebra 2/Trig Honors this year. I want to take Pre-Calc over the summer and take calculus next year. What is the best way of doing this? Should I just ask my school to let me take the final and read the book over the summer, or should I do something like take the course over EPGY (something cheaper?)?

By Pippin1 (Pippin1) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

my best advice.... don't do it, if you are to take Precal in some $hitty 6 week course you will do HORRIBLE, if you do very hard precal over the year you can take ab next summer and skip to BC ,I would not reccomend what you are doing, of course unless you want a hole in your transcript

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Will your school allow you to take the course at a local community college and give you credit for it?

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

i was goin to do that, but...i didnt after i gave the calc class a 7 day trial period...it was too confusing...

By Fea (Fea) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

I'm sure I can do fine in the class or out of the book...I'm fine with teaching myself and I'm not planning on doing horribly...nor do I overly care about my transcript. I'm set to take Calc BC in 12th grade anyway...what would be the point of taking AB next summer?

By Vision (Vision) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

fea, at my school if you take algeb2/trig honors, you take calc automatically next year, depending on how you do in algeb2/trig honors, you are put in calc honors or calc ab ap. pre-cal is pretty much in algeb2/trig honors isnt it? my school doesnt allow people who take algeb2/trig honors to take precal unless they did really bad/near failing

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

OHHH you wanted to take precalc over the summer! lol...i misread

i was goin to skip from alg 2 to Calc AB...so that was a big jump for me...

i say go right into calc...you can handle it without precalc...just read about the stuff covered in precalc over the summer...there's not too many topics

By Haithman (Haithman) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

Im doing the same thing as you Fea! I was rather bored in my Alg 2 class (still am) and KNEW that I was gonna be really bored in GT Pre-Calc next year, so I decided to take Pre-Calc this summer so I can take AP Calc my Junior Year. I will be doing so at the local CC.
Pre-Calc is boring, and I've already self studied most of the AP Calc book so it looks like the rest of HS math is gonna be boring...

By Oasis (Oasis) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 02:45 am: Edit

Different school systems have their own basis of judgement in class placement, so you should probably do what you want to do. For me, Alg 2/Trig is quite easy, I have a 99.9 average with the course average being 66.0. In some school systems, I should be able to jump to Calc AB, but then our school has this really pointless policy that no Calc without Precalc so I guess math would be a waste of time for me next year.

By Dotcommie (Dotcommie) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 02:47 am: Edit

My advice:

Don't do it. BC is hard.

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

fea,
I think that you should definitly do go from Alg2/Trig. honors to AP Calc. AB. Many people at my high school do this and they do fine(they get A's) in Calc. It is actually customary at my school. Plus, the precalc over the summer should extra hone your math skills. I say go for it. Buen suerte. :)

By Glowingamy (Glowingamy) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I think you should do it, if you think you can pass the final and LIKE MATH enough to actually do everything. I'm skipping Latin II and I'm not worried, becuase I know I like Latin enough to prepare myself well

By Mimi (Mimi) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Yeah... I heard Pre-Cal isn't even really a pre of cal. LOL. I hate Pre-Cal. I wish I took it in the summer.

By Ruku320 (Ruku320) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Do it, I did pre-calc self study over the summer. I personally haven't had any troubles in AP Calc, usually getting 95% or better every quarter.

By Alisone05 (Alisone05) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

yeah, do it. Precalcs a waste of time, the only thing you really need in precalc for calc is the trig stuff, which is only a very small part. good luck

By Fea (Fea) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

We did a bunch of trig this year, what's new next year?
Thanks for your comments, I'll definitely take it over the summer.

By Brian216 (Brian216) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

the new stuff would be polar and parametric eqns and vectors and if its a good course itll have de moivres theorem. But I definitely recommend that u skip it by taking over the summer. I tried last year to do that by studying the book and taking the final. I knew all the stuff perfectly, but the the calc teacher wouldnt let me in his class anyway so i had to take it in school. Hes kind of stubborn and arrogant.
Anyway, just take it over the summer, its extremely easy in my opinion, and so is calc bc.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page