Creatin' new clubs at school

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Creatin' new clubs at school
By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm lookin' up ways to give my college applications a boost so that in the fall I can add more to them. I'm thinking about gettin' a club started in school that joins Science with Engineering. Does anyone know of any joint Science/Eng clubs that I could look at online? Thanks.

By Sir_Denster (Sir_Denster) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

To be quite honest, you should not just create clubs so it looks great on applications. You should do it because you want to--because you are trying to act upon a passion.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Sorry if I made my question sound so unclear. I've been trying to get a joint SEA club since November when our bio teacher left and took the program with him. My friend and I are trying to bring it back and are looking for new ideas, which is why i thought of bringing engineering into the equation. So if i made it sound like I was only doing this for the sole purpose of making it look good on apps I apologize. So does anyone know of any Science/Engineering clubs that I could find online to get more info? Again sorry about that and I hope someone can help me out.

By Sir_Denster (Sir_Denster) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

That's a much better question--clearer, too. I know of one very good science club, which is called the Science Olympiad. I am not sure if your school already has it, but it is definitely something to look into--try: http://www.scioly.org. Another club our school has is called the Rocket Club. I don't have details on that one, because I am not a member, but I could if you wanted me to find out some more information. Good luck!

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Thank you very much! I'll look into it.

By lawyer on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

Does anyone know of any law clubs?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 02:23 am: Edit

I think if you're doing it to look good, good then, cuz dont give me that only if you truly want to crap, how the hell else do you get in these days, im a selfish person, i hate volunteering, sucks major ass, but i signed up for crap i dont even like, i just need hours and something to put down, good job dude, i'm trying to get an engineering physics club started, that's actually outta passion for it, but hey, there's a side of me that's saying, hey, u can write that down on your app!

By loren on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

lawyer- I started a mock trial club at my high school
you have 6 lawyers and 6 witnesses, 3 for each side (prosecution and defense) and you get a case from the state.. you prepare your side with direc/cross/closing and opening statements and you compete against other schools
its really fun
if you live in MD go to the MD state bar website.. i forgot what it is
hope this helps

By Sir_Denster (Sir_Denster) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

College padding is not to your benefit. When it comes down to it, test scores, GPA, etc. weigh so much more than extracurriculars; you should reprioritize your life, Mitwannabe.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page