Small high school

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Small high school
By bobo on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

My high school is really small (there are only about 20 other freshmen in the whole school, and we are the biggest class), so they don't offer any AP classes or anything close. I know I could take those classes and I really want to but I can't. Is that really going to hurt my college application?

By MaritimeEnthusiast on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 08:05 am: Edit

If you want to take advanced classes, take one at your local CC. This will look great on your application, because even though your school doesn't offer any advanced classes, you did all you can to find them.

By Jenniferelaine (Jenniferelaine) on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Hi there, small school senior here! Here's what I did to get ahead:

-Took the toughest course load possible Fr.- So. yrs (including taking French sophomore year when typically we can't start taking a forgein language until we're juniors, and took several courses independent study)

-Repeat that Jr. year and add on CC college courses (1-2)

-Sr. year I petitioned the school board to let me out in the afternoon to go to 2 local LACs and take classes there. Plus, I still took classes at the CC at night first semester (didn't work out this semester w/ play practice).
It didn't hurt my applications, though I found out in the end it didn't help me either ( most colleges don't look at college credit when looking at freshman admissions). But, I'm not Ivy-bound, and maybe the Ivys do look at it. The credit will help in the long run, I should earn my BA in three years.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page