Andover or Exeter

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: March 2004 - April 2004 Archive: Andover or Exeter
By Weezy1607 (Weezy1607) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I am having great trouble deciding whether to go to Andover or Exeter, does anyone have any advice?? Thanks!

By Adadamongdads (Adadamongdads) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Those are very different schools. Did you do a revisit? What did your heart tell you about where you would feel most comfortable?

Good luck - my daughter decided after her final revisit and is very very peaceful now.

Trust your instincts and go for it.

By Calidad (Calidad) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Over 40 percent of students at Andover are from Massachusetts. But both are great schools.

By Bigblue04 (Bigblue04) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

Are you looking for a more urban or more rural location? Do you prefer a more liberal or a more conservative school (in rules, not politics)? What emphasis are you looking for in terms of academics, athletics, and extracurrics? What activities do you plan on starting/continuing? Which student body do you feel more comfortable with? What kind of social life are you looking for? Have you spoken to any faculty or present students? Which is more convenient for you and your family?

These are the types of questions you have to ask yourself to decide- both are excellent places to go to high school. Feel free to email me with any other questions.

By Weezy1607 (Weezy1607) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

I was unable to revisit the schools, so I must base my decision on what i have here. So far, my "instinct" is pointing me to Andover. I really like the liberal and more independent enviroment that it seems to provide. From my tour and interview, I liked the way Andover way organized, and everyone was helpful, friendly and interesting to talk to.The diversity and rich history of the school also intrigues me. However, I am fascinated my Exeter's HArkness table. They also have a better math program, higher percent of faculty with advanced degrees, and higher SAT average scores.
My main interets include English, writing, playing the piano, dancing, and debate.
Would anyone know which school is stronger in these areas?
Thank you all for the help. Those questions really helped me, BigBlue, and what school did you daughter choose, adadamongdads? Calidad, I did not know that that many students from Mass attended Andover. It seems ironic almost that such a diverse school accepts so many kids in a more concentrated area. Still, I really like both schools.

By Calidad (Calidad) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Lots of writers have gone to Exeter. The English department is excellent. I think that Bigblue's comment on the rule differences between the two schools is important. For instance, Exeter has a mandatory lights out policy for 9th and 10th graders, and a dress code. But you really can't go wrong with either one.

By Adadamongdads (Adadamongdads) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

My daughter was accepted to both Andover and Exeter, but chose St. Paul's instead. However, Andover was a VERY close second. (She did not like the way Exeter teaches math.)

In the end, you have to just go with your instincts. She did and is very happy.

Good luck.

By Luigi (Luigi) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

When our son applied to boarding schools, he was admitted to St. Paul's, Groton, Milton, Lawrenceville, Exeter and Andover. He chose Andover because he thought the school was a better fit for him and had more diversity and a liberal bent, when compared to the others. Andover had no dress code, no mandatory sit down dinners, no zero-tolerance disciplinary policy, and no mandatory Chapel attendance for 5 days a week. All and all, it was less constrictive and restrictive, and less physically confining, especially when you can walk to the town of Andover and even take the "T" to Boston in about a half hour after your parents gives written standing permission.

For our son, his Andover experience has been a fabulous and wonderful one with no regrets. This is not to say that he would not have had a similar experience at the other 5 preps he was admitted to. He visited the 6 preps he applied to at least 3 to 4 times, even before he made his decision to apply. After admission, it was between Exeter and Andover, mainly for their size, diversity, breath of course offerings by a distiquished faculty, and its offerings of the Chinese language as a course of study and a top-notch music department.

Adadamongdads said his daughter "did not like the way Exeter teaches math". I really don't know why, but Exeter is known to have one of the best Math Departments of all the big preps, and some of its students compete in American Math Olympiads and the International Math Olympiads, which is no small feat to have this type of recognition.

Click on the following for some insights about Exeter's Math Department,

http://www.exeter.edu/publications/exeter/summer_03/oncampus.html

"The Exeter Olympic Team"

[Tony Zhang ’04, Tiankai Liu ’04 and Matthew Tang ’03 are competing with the top math students in the country to represent the United States at the International Mathematical Olympiad, to be held this month in Tokyo. Helping coach the U.S. team will be PEA math instructor Zuming Feng. When it comes to math, the Exeter bench is deep—very deep.]

[Three Academy students—Tiankai Liu ’04 of Saratoga, CA; Matthew Tang ’03 of Hong Kong; and Tony Zhang ’04 of Houston, TX—were among the top 12 scorers in the nation on the USA Mathematical Olympiad (USAMO) exam, a grueling, two-day test held this spring. Later this month, the best of that select group will travel to Japan to compete in the 44th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO), which draws math students from more than 80 nations.]

[Tiankai Liu, who had a perfect score and a first-place finish in this year’s USAMO exam, is likely to be on that flight to Tokyo. “It is thrilling to solve problems and it’s thrilling to be stuck on them,” says Liu. “It’s even more thrilling to meet other people. Having been to two IMO’s, I know what an exciting experience it is to be able to meet students from so many different countries.”]

By Batesmom (Batesmom) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:12 am: Edit

When my daughter was applying to Andover (she graduated last year) I remember a comment made by a faculty member when asked "the difference" between Andover and Exeter. He replied: "Andover is friendler and more flexible." That continues to be my impression. Andover's location also can't be beat, with a nice downtown an easy walk away and Boston nearby. For some of my daughter's classes they would go in to Boston for a special movie or event. Great schools, good luck!

By Batesmom (Batesmom) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:14 am: Edit

Another thing re 40% being from Massachusetts... Andover has a solid but not gigantic number of day students (I seem to recall around 20%) and they are obviously mostly from Massachusetts (a few may be NH), thus skewing the numbers....

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page