Selective public high schools in New York City

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Selective public high schools in New York City
By qudad on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Which public high school is the best in NYC? Some people told me Stuyvesant High is the best, but other people pointed to Hunter College High. Some people informed me that about one quarter of Stuy graduates go to Ivies every year, but about one third do the same for Hunter. However, Stuy is much better known than Hunter, and many Hunter students have chosen to leave for Stuy. Some people even told me that Hunter high's principal and the staff are not up to the job. So I do not know whether my child should pursue Hunter or Stuy. Would you please give me your honest opinion? Thank you very much!

By stfan on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

I think Stuy is the best public high school not only in New York City but also in US. It just got three Intel finalists, more than any other high schools.

By private on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

If you are looking for private look no further then

Collegiate (Boys)
Bearly (Girls)
Horace Mann (Co-Ed)

By public on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Are there anyone who knows about Stuyvesant High and Hunt College High? A lot people have talked about private high schools, but almost nobody has shown any interest in discussing public high schools. I wonder why. Maybe students in public high schools and their significant others are either too smart to waste any time here or too dumb to find this forum.

By A Parent on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Public, I have one child at Hunter and one at Stuyvesant (the one at Stuy didn't make the cutoff on the Hunter exam in sixth grade).

The PLUSSES for Hunter: Relatively small school, relatively small average class sizes (<25). Worth Magazine 2002 Survey of "Top Feeder High Schools" to HYP ranks Hunter #26 (the highest for any public HS in the USA). Stuy ranked #120. Excellent in the Humanities. Median SAT: 1420. 32 National Merit Semi-Finalists last year out of graduating class of 180. Diverse: 55% White, 32% Asian, 13% Black and Latino. Close to 50-50 male/female. WEAKNESSES: Small school (more limited ECs and teams), Fewer Electives, Math and Science Not As Strong As Stuy (that's why a handful of rising 9th graders go to Stuy or Bronx Science each year). Building is wholly unimpressive.

The PLUSSES for Stuyvesant: Big school, lots of electives, lots of teams, lots of potential ECs. Beautiful $100MM building. Worth Magazine ranks it #120 as Feeder HS to HYP(that's very good). Best science and math programs. Median SAT: 1400. Diverse: 45% White, 45% Asian, 10% Black and Latino. 60% male. WEAKNESSES: A Big School. Bureaucracy. Weak Humanities departments (English, Social Studies, Foreign Language).

Overall, Public, there are differences, but both schools are fabulous. I withdrew my daughter from a top private school when she got into Hunter.
NYC is blessed to have Hunter, Stuy and Bronx Science (the latter I'd rank a strong third).

By curious on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

A parent, what private did you pull your daughter out of ?

By public on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Thank you, A Parent. You have given me very good information. You have smart children. I am happy for you.

By A Parent on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Curious, it was Fieldston.

By townsend on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

if you want a public school in new york city that outranks stuy and hunter, check out towsend harris. it has highet statistics than stuyvesant and send 1/4 to the ivly league. the building is spotless and they have a dining hall instead of a cafeteria. plus there are no bells, they play classical music instead.

By stuyguy on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

www.insideschools.org this site has a review of every NYC high school. townsend out ranks most schools but stuy still rocks

By Dddaza (Dddaza) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

Stuyvesant is a horrible school in terms of diversity, which I think turns away many minority students. I chose Bronx Science over Stuyvesant because I didn't feel like being one of 90 blacks kids in a school of 3,011 and having to explain everything about black culture all the time because I'm the only black person in all of my classes. Which sometimes happens at Bronx Science anyway, cha...

Besides being much more diverse, Bronx Science attracts kids who LIVE, and aren't slaves to schoolwork.

By Upenn06 (Upenn06) on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

TOP NYC PRIVATE SCHOOLS

GIRLS: Brearley
BOYS: Collegiate
CO-ED: Horace Mann/Dalton (it's a tie)

TOP PREP SCHOOLS ( i do this in college equivs):

Harvard - Exeter
Yale - Andover
Princeton - Deerfield

any prep school that is single-sex is 2nd tier (no getting around that); they are FAR LESS selective than co-ed boarding schools.

By Ahfhc2003 (Ahfhc2003) on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

I have heard in most cases that both Hunter High School and Townsend Harris outrank Stuyvesant. Stuyvesant is still a very excellent school, even though they have had problems in the past with teachers inflating GPA's and such. They have one of the most impressive array of AP classes. Both Townsend and Hunter are very small schools, while Stuy is much larger.

In the end, I don't think it matters on whether your child goes to either HUNTER or STUY. As a parent you should investigate in other excellent NYC public schools out there. And there are plenty besides the three. What matters is your child's mindset and how they react and interact in the school.

A downside to Stuy (I'm not sure about these other schools) is that though there is a large body of students, there is a definite lack of diversity. I don't think the students are as cultured either. Do the necessary research and don't limit your child to just a couple of schools that you have heard about. Your child could be better off in a school not mentioned here.

By Ritok (Ritok) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:21 am: Edit

I am a graduate of stuy, 2003 - In 8th grade, i turned down townsend harris to go to stuy. In terms of reputation, outside of new york city, townsend harris is not very well known - it has become a good school just recently. Stuyvesant is reaching its centennial in excellence. I have never doubted my decision beyond the fact that Townsend is 75% girls - hows that for diversity? The average SAT (not median) score at stuy is 1400. Second, if you're child is already in 7th or 8th grade, it is too late for them to enroll at Hunter (consequently, my brother is going into 8th grade at hunter high) In many ways they cannot be compared - they are just different. It depends on how your child works and what he/she prefers.
Think about this - every year more than 20,000 students take a test to get into stuyvesant high, for 750 seats - thats an acceptance rate of LESS than 4%. Harvard and Princeton's acceptance rates by comparison hover around 12%.
As for the rankings, they were unfair - citing only acceptances to Harvard, Yale and Princeton - there are many other fine schools that stuyvesant students consistently get accepted to. Almost 150 get accepted to cornell, another ivy league. The survey fails to take into account other world renowned institutions, Stanford, MIT, Brown, Dartmouth, Duke, the list goes on.
I personally believe that stuyvesant's humanities departments are VERY STRONG, almost comparable to the strength of the math and sciences.
Although Stuyvesant does not rank its students, I know that I am somewhere in the 15th percentile. I got accepted to duke, dartmouth, columbia, University of Virginia, University of Chicago, and SUNY binghamton, stony brook, albany (safety schools). As you can see, stuyvesants reputation carries ALOT of weight

By Szetom (Szetom) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 10:17 am: Edit

hey, i'm class of 2003 too.

i agree that stuy's humanities department is top notch. In fact, I find it even better than math and science.

stuy's physics department isn't that great. I didn't like all the math teachers either, not because I sucked at math, but because they didn't teach all that well. I'd say that the math and sci department were great for the math and science geniuses, but...
english, social studies, and foreign language tho, excellent. I had many great connections with my teachers, and learned how to be more open in the classroom. I also liked the fact that there was always some challenge. However, economics, govt department isn't too great, if you do regular economics.

altho stuy isn't too diverse, townsend is like 90% female, so townsend isn't too spread evenly in gender.

I think stuy is kinda diverse, just not as integrated...but you're gonna have it like that anywhere....

By Celebtracker (Celebtracker) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

. . . see www.celebrityprepschools.com for more about these schools!

By Singingbookworm (Singingbookworm) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

I'm a sophomore at Hunter, not a parent, but Hunterís a very good high school, and I feel that it is the best in the nation.

The building originally was only mediocre, and so we fondly nicknamed it the Brick Prison (its exterior was designed to look like a French armory, but recently the school has spent half a million to successfully improve its structuring and ventilating. We (the student body, the teachers, and the administration) don't feel that there is a problem anymore, though the traditional nickname will stay. ^_^

I'm not sure how Stuy is, but my friends who have left Hunter for Stuy are still missing Hunter. I don't mean to badmouth Stuy or anything, but according to one of my friends there, another student had cut class nearly every day, and the teacher never noticed.

Most of my peers in other schools hate learning, but Hunter makes me adore learning. Although Stuyvesant may be more well known, students from Stuyvesant and Hunter both agree that the typical Hunter student is much more intelligent compared to the typical Stuy student. We're not "nerds" here either, really just normal teens that care about school as well as our other interests.

I love it here at Hunter, and the teachers are more devoted to teaching us well, and they're definitely very good because Hunter only accepts teachers that pass the high qualifications. During class, we actually discuss topics, and share our opinions, rather than just merely taking notes in our classes.

I've been here for 3 years now, (because we start here at 7th grade), and I'm sorry that my time at Hunter will end in 3 more, but I know I'll never forget my time here.

Hunter is better.

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

"the typical Hunter student is much more intelligent compared to the typical Stuy student."

Thats garbage.
Hunter and Stuyvesant are about equal. Its like comparing Yale to Harvard. Theyre both great schools with great kids. (yea lets make bronx science tufts in this comparison, HAHAHA!)

By Kevin4242 (Kevin4242) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

love this topic.

By Gabriellagp (Gabriellagp) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 06:07 am: Edit

I went to Hunter. It was excellent -- so good that college was anti-climactic.
Here are some other points of comparison between Hunter and Stuyvesant:

-Hunter sits in the middle of the highest concentration of museums in New York and possibly in the world. My friends would play hooky to go to the Met. Stuyvesant, on the other hand, is a block away from the Hudson River estuary. There's a small but graceful park on the rivershore, and the view really is magnificent.

-Hunter, alone among NYC high schools, is under the Board of Higher Education, which means essentially that it's independent. It can hire people without NYS certification if they are otherwise highly qualified. Stuyvesant is under the Board of Education, which means that its administration has less leeway. Often senior teachers from other schools get promoted to Stuyvesant, and they can be terrible (so I've heard).

-After six years Hunter began to feel a bit small. But maybe that's because I didn't take the electives that would have allowed me to meet people in other grades. I met Stuyvesant students in my music school and I found them to be very nice and yes, cultivated. Sometimes I wished I had transferred to Stuyvesant just because it's bigger, on the other hand I don't know how I would have fared in classes of 34.

-The fact that a handful of Hunter students transfer to Stuyvesant shouldn't reflect badly on Hunter. Some do it because Stuyvesant has better labs (I think), and quite a few because they want a fresh start after middle school (difficult years under the best of circumstances).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page