What high school classes are most important?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: What high school classes are most important?
By liltre on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

I'm planning my sophomore high school year. I understand colleges like to see foreign languages, math, and science classes.

Which is really more important-I would rather pursue advanced science classes(my school offers numerous courses)and limit the foreign language experiences.

How will this affect my chances at schools like Berkely and Chapel Hill(I've already visited the web sites)? If 2 yrs are required and 3 recommended, would advanced science overrule the preference?

Thinking of pre-med

By runningdan on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

If you present a cohesive directed convincing application, considering you want to pursue a science related career and do well in those advanced science classes you should be fine not taking more foreign languages to get into those schools, although checking with an admission officer is your best bet.

By Dori on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

take 3 years of a language....my suggestion is to take the 3rd in summer school so it'll free up a period for something else during the school year.

make sure u have all the basics, math history science english, then electives: foreign language, PE(if required...good in summer school), and whatever other colllege prep class u can take (i.e. computers, etc)

talk to ur couselor. that what s/he's there for

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page