Any current or past Andover students

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Any current or past Andover students
By AndoverIsCool on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 03:50 pm: Edit

I've applied to PA and I wondered how good my chances are for admission.

6th Grade GPA - 3.7
7th grade GPA - 3.5
8th Grade GPA (1st semester) - 3.8

I scored in the 95th percentile overall on the SSAT.

I attend a highly regarded public magnet school. I am in the district gifted program (50 stdents in the whole district are in the program). I started taking high school math in 7th grade. I am currently taking sophmore geometry as an 8th grader.

I play football and lacrosse and am good at both, football especially.

I had a lead role in our school musical. I was also student director and in 7th grade I wrote and directed a short film which showed at a student film festival (this is what I wrote my essay about). My essay was very good and I got fantastic reccomendations.

My family does not need financial aid, my dad's friend went there and he called and put in a good word. I am applying to be a boarder.

Any thoughts.

By mathmajor on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:52 am: Edit

If you do not need financial aid, with those qualifications, you are in.

By mathmajor on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:54 am: Edit

Are you an asian or white? If you are white you are in for sure? Asian has too much competition so I ma not so sure.

By AndoverIsCool on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

I'm white

By Max on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

How about Lawrenceville?
If I am applying to Lawrenceville as a day student, can I get in with the following?
6th grade 3.9
7th grade 3.9
8th grade 3.75

SSAT overall score: 85th percentile (I think these scores will be my downfall)
I am accelerated in 3 academic subjects. I am taking honors algebra in 8th grade. I have superior ability in French (non-native).

I am 6'1" and play basketball and 2 other sports, but excel in basketball. I am co-captain of the tennis team and I'm on the student council. I expect my letters of recommendation to be superb.
I don't need financial aid.
Do I have a chance as a day student?

By Max on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

I forgot to mention that I am also a legacy at Princeton University. Do the elite secondary schools, such as Lawrenceville, lean towards accepting Ivy legacies? These schools must need to show that their students get into the elite colleges. Therefore, doesn't legacy status at an Ivy help? Some of these schools specificaly ask where your parents attended college.

By mathmajor on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 09:17 am: Edit

Really I have no clue about legacy status in a ivy leauge and its correlation with prep school. But let me tell you 6'1 in 8th grade is impressive, the basketball will get you in. 85th perecntile is not ver competitive for a atheletic person. You have a very decent shot to be in. It is a nice school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page