Help with Carrer/major choice - please help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Help with Carrer/major choice - please help
By noclue on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

I am a Junior in HS and have no idea what I want to do "when I grow up". I like everything to some degree and dislike only a few things. I like the natural sciences the most, then math, the social sciences ...

Is there a web site that can help me decide on a profession? Also I need to know what people in the various professions do. For example what does an ingeneer do?

By Ricegal (Ricegal) on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Engineers do everything from selling software products to building tools that can dig oil wells 50 horizontal miles. You can be as technical or as nontechnical as you want to be. Describing what an engineer does is like describing what a business person does. A stockbroker has a very different job than a marketing person at a Fortune 500 company - just to mention two examples. The key difference between engineers and scientists is that engineers are product oriented and scientists are research oriented. That said, some engineers do research and some scientists make products. If you like math and science it would not be a bad thing to major in engineering. You will find out at college which branch you prefer and even whether or not you like it. If you don't like it you will find it pretty easy to switch from engineering to any number of majors, or to go to graduate school in law or business.

www.princetonreview.com has a lot of material to help you understand different careers.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page