Summer programs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Summer programs
By jamie on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I'm a freshmen in high school and can anyone recommend any good summer programs?

By Wade Leahy on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 03:35 am: Edit

That depends on what youre aiming for, and your interests. If by "good" you mean "prestigious", there're all the Ivy summer programs, JHU, etc.

By jamu86 on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 07:10 am: Edit

Here are a couple of good summer programs that I did:
National Youth Leadership Forum in Medicine, and I also went to CTD's Equinox Program, at the Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University. Almost all universities have sometime of Summer Program. It all depends on what your interests are (athletic or academic). Many require applications so start your search early and good luck!

By info on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

If you are considering an academic program and cost is an issue you might consider the Joseph Baldwin Academy at Truman State University in Missouri. It is an excellent three week program similar in structure to the Duke, CTD, JHU programs but the cost is under $1,000. Last summer our daughter attended the Hughes Life Science Program at the University of Iowa for which all expenses were free including tuition, room and board for three weeks, and a plane ticket. As the previous poster said many universities have a wide variety of summer programs ranging from free to nearly $10,000. Investigate now since many of the programs have early deadlines and require teacher recommendations.

By Yuwynn (Yuwynn) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

I recommend the Junior Statesmen of America Summer Program if you are into history and goverment, even debating and economics, foreign policy, etc. E-mail me if you want more details. I did it back in 1995 and it was the best experience of my life.

By jamie on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Could you leave me your email Yuwynn? Junior Statesman is one of the programs i'm looking at. Is admission competitive?

By logic on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

http://www .exeter.edu/summer/index.htm >>> I stuck this in another thread too...

By jez on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

About the exeter summer programs...do you need to be a student at the school to attend? and does it give you school credit?

By logic on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 04:49 pm: Edit

You do not need to be a student to attend the summer programs...in fact i don't think students are allowed to.

"Courses are for enrichment and are not intended to be taken for high school credit." -- from the Exeter Summer School website.

By jez on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Thanks a bunch logic!
Just one more question...I'm especially interested in the summer abroad programs. Can you tell me anything about them? For example cost and admission info? Financial aid?

By logic on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

I would go to the website, then find the program your interested in and contact the faculty member in charge of that particular trip.

By Victor on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

I know this sounds really stupid but im going to type it ank way . does any one have the NYLF e-mail address

By maggie on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

has anyone done or know anything about the Penn summer program?

By ariel s. on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

i went to the UPenn Summer program last year. it was a great experience for me. what questions do you have?

By maggie on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

ariel- i was just wondering about what a typical day was like and how the work load was? If it was organized? How is the program run? Also how were the people were and really anything else that you think i should i know about the program before i enroll?

By ariel s. on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

maggie-
a typical day depended on how many courses you take. you can take up to 2 at most. i only took one though. (each course is about $2000) your day really gives you a taste of college life because you take classes with other Penn students, although there aren't as many high school students attending in the summer. depending on the class, you could meet two to four or five days a week, for any time between 1.5 to 3 hours i believe. after that, you have the whole day free to yourself! so like any college student, you can chill in the dorms, explore philly, hang out wherever.. as long as you're back by curfew.
on the weekends the program plans trips to places like Six Flags, NYC, Washington DC, the beach, and other things. there are also trips to see local concerts or museums, or, you could go there on your own too if you wanted.
it was really awesome to meet all these new people. there were about 300 other students. they came from all over as far as california, and there were even some international students, like Jamaica and France!
There's so much more to tell! If you have any other questions send me an email at iiazureskyeii@aol.com
hope this helps!

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 09:37 am: Edit

Hey, I don't know much about summer programs, but does your school help pay for them?

By Dirter on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Whatever you do do not go to the JHU summer program - it is terrible. I go to Hopkins and a friend of mine ran it - it sucks go to a better one like Yale. UPENN is good also I went there. Nothing special but it was good for me.

By Ltj929 (Ltj929) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:53 am: Edit

heyy..yea im considering the penn summer program also..i was wondering if it looks good on trnascripts? I mean..my freshman summer i had a job..my sophmore summer i went to japan for 3 weeks as a homestay (not through my school or anything)..and now im looking for soemthing else to do..soo im just wonderng if its worth it..or if i should just stay home...and work on my volunteer hours..and just take a couple classes at the community college...just to do soemthing..well..any input would help..thanks..

By roller on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 04:53 pm: Edit

what can i do now as a junior, i thought about the gtown JSA summer school, but it's $3000+, and my parents don't have that for summer program, they already pay quite a bit for regular tuition.

i'm basically looking for a good one. a competitive one that's free, or a prestigeous one with low costs. help!

please please help.

By roller on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 04:53 pm: Edit

what can i do now as a junior, i thought about the gtown JSA summer school, but it's $3000+, and my parents don't have that for summer program, they already pay quite a bit for regular tuition.

i'm basically looking for a good one. a competitive one that's free, or a prestigeous one with low costs. help!

please please help.

By bumper on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 05:58 pm: Edit

bump

By bump on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

bumpity bump

By b.u_mp! on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

bump

By Yuwynn (Yuwynn) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Jamie, sorry I never posted my e-mail info. It is yuwynnho@iqmail.net
I attended back in 1995, but I returned last summer to work as a counselor at the Georgetown program. I had a blast back in 1995, and thought I would get in touch with the days when I was 16 years old.
The admissions are fairly competitive. Last summer, they had to turn away hundreds of people who wanted the G-town program and refer them to the JSA programs at other schools. They could only take 380 people (which is the capacity at the dorm). We took up the entire building, and it was a nightmare dealing with so many people at once. This year, they are splitting the program into 2 sessions, to accommodate more people. This doesn't mean it won't be competitive as they will still consider your academic records. They don't want people to go there thinking it is a summer vacation away from their parents. It is intense, you will work your butt off studying for a midterm, final, 10-12 page term paper, and preparing for the nightly debates which you are required to participate. You don't have to be a nut about politics, but a little enthusiasm will bring you a lot of fun.
If you are goign to apply, apply for the 1st session when the staff is still fresh, and Congress is still in session. The second session is going to take place in August, which is during Congressional Recess, and all of Washinton is pretty much somewhere else. That is where the excitement is, meeting those big name people at the White House & Capitol.

By DUKE on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

anyone done the DUKE TIP precollege program?>=

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

I did Concordia Language Villages in 1999 and really enjoyed it. I went to Waldsee, the German camp and made it with no German experience prior to, at all. I also did the Georgetown Summer International Relations Camp which was cool. Last summer I did an AFS exchange to France on merit scholarship, which was amazing. For those of you who are interested in merit scholarships from AFS...learn about the Awards for Excellence. Thats what I got, and I spent 6 weeks in France for free.

By olive oil on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Has anyone attended or know anything about the CTY programs?

By Input on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 07:33 am: Edit

I know several kids who did Duke and liked it. They have different kinds of programs - classroom, field study, etc. Check the website.

CTY is affiliated with JHU. Both are prestigious, as summer programs go.

By Atujur on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

does the NYLF really help? what about national student leadership conference? I was thinking about attending the programs but i dont know whether it will really make a difference in applications. Also, is it really hard to get into the NYLF? i got reccomendations two years in a row.. but im only a sophomore and so i might go next summer between junior/senior year. Is it worth it?
Thanks

By ctyteacherandmom on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Hi Olive Oil. I've taught for CTY at JHU for fifteen years, and my son has been doing their distance ed and summer programs since seventh grade. What do you want to know? You can get a feel for the kind of loyalty CTY ispires at the thread with CTY in the title on the Parents Forum, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
CTY mom and teacher

By Username on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Atujur, the NYLF might help with unselective colleges but not with really competitive ones.
The same goes for national student leadership conference, it won't make a difference in applications. If you can pay, it is not hard to get into the NYLF.

By atujur on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

username-
then whats good for competitive ones?

By Eileennp (Eileennp) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 07:51 am: Edit

Does anyone know anything about the Ivy Scholars debate summer program at Yale?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page