??? college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
Could anyone give me some advice :) ???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Could anyone give me some advice :) ???
By Coolkida54 (Coolkida54) on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 02:06 am: Edit

Hello, I am a junior. I have decent test scores 1540 SAT (800 V, 740 M), 800 Chem, 800 Math I/II C, 790 Chinese, 690 Spanish, 730 literature, 800 writing, 5;s for the (calc ab, euro, chem APs). i have no idea what my gpa is though i have gotten straight a's and I have taken the most rigorous courses offered at my school. I am the head of the red cross club at my school and the president of the local youth red cross chapter. Apart from that I was MVP for my school tennis team and have participated in a bunch of activities, none of which really stand out. I'm somewhat good in math, though I definately am not exceptional- I was my school high scorer for the CAML and I've qualified for the AIME twice.
I feel somewhat lost in this morass of college applications. I'm torn between packaging myself for college and pursuing "intellect". I think my dream is to attend Harvard (I know that sounds pretentious or whatever)- many of my cousins went there and enjoyed it and from what I've read, it seems to be where I want to go.
I'm also kind of confused. Gradewise, I'm the top student in my class, except I'm not really considered as an exceptional motivated student. But I'm wondering, is that going to be a big problem? I'd classify myself as a normal kid in that I don't really fit under the stereotype as a "nerd". I wonder- do colleges like academically obsessed students or ones that can balance a social life with school work? (I hope i'm not sounding cocky..)
I'm wondering, does anyone have any advice about what I should do this year. I'm thinking about either pursuing political science or premed in college.
I;m especially looking for possible summer programs or research opportunities.
THanks so much!!!

By butteredcloud on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:41 am: Edit

You seem to have a pretty good grip on things, though you might just be setting yourself for disappointment with wanting to attend Harvard.

By starlette on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Colleges are looking for a balance academically and socially. i know this girl that got into an ivy league school with an 1190 on the SAT's she didn't even bother to take the SAT II's,but she got a pretty good score on the ACT.she was 3/567 and also she was a cheerleader,she did other extracurriculars but they aren't that important except for the national honor society.she had no legacy,and also she was white.the colleges want diversity. i think you got a good shot at harvard,as long as you do something that will make you stand out from all the other millions of applicants, take the hardest courses at your hs,keep up the good grades,and write a damn good essay.Then you got a good shot.also make sure u also apply to a schools that you know that you will definently get into if you don't get into harvard.

By Coolkida54 (Coolkida54) on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Thanks for the post and the encouragement! However, I just realized that I forgot to add that I'm 100% Chinese. Does that really hurt my chances? And are there any particular activities I should do?

By dxiw on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

just make sure you apply at a lot of places in case harvard grins and evily laughs DENY!!!!!

By 2cents on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I think Harvard would be very happy to have a student like you, but that's just my 2 cents. Remember, it's not where you go, it's what you make of it. Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page