College classes out of school- please help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: College classes out of school- please help
By Interested.. on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:53 pm: Edit

im thinking of taking one or two classes starting this january at a local college in my area (NY) does anyone know if this could potentially help me if i did well enough? would it help spell out my motivation & drive to do well? this year im taking the hardest course load possible and have about 6 clubs i'm very involved in (with officer position in two) i expect to have positions in 4 or so next year and my community service is so-so (roughly 150 hours for freshman, sophmore & part of junior year) but i plan to do more this ummer & start again over the weekends. do you think that these classes could help when applying to colleges? if so, should i take one and breeze by or take two (on top of my regular HS classes) and get (probably) a bit more stressed out? please, comments!

By anon on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:56 am: Edit

Yes it's well thought of to take college courses in high school but not totally unique, lots of people do it. (I'm using the word "lots" loosely.) Only you can determine the stressload you can bear. It's good to challenge yourself but don't burn out.

By probinson on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:31 pm: Edit

It all depends on what you personally can handle. On top of clubs and EC's, my daughter has taken college classes throughout high school. She's a junior this year, has 3 AP classes, the rest honors, and she is taking 4 classes at the college now and will again in the spring. She'll get her AA this year and will still likely take additional college classes in her senior year. She happens to love learning and it comes relatively easy to her. She started out at the end of 9th grade, taking one class that she thought sounded interesting and from then on she was hooked.
I would suggest that you take a look at your habits, how much study time you now require and figure out if you have the time to devote to additional classes. If you choose to take a course, you may want to consider taking one that will help you in a class you're already taking in high school. For example, my daughter is taking AP US History this year and she's also taking an upper level class at the college in US History. This strategy has helped her before with Calculus. It really reinforced the material and prepared her further for the AP's and SATII's. If you sign up for a class and find it's not something you enjoy or it takes time away from other things in your life, you can always drop the class, probably without any penalty at all.
Ultimately you should do what you can handle, but not so much that you don't have time to enjoy these years. College classes will likely neither make or break an application.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page