MIT/RSI chances (IB American citizen)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: MIT/RSI chances (IB American citizen)
By Omkar on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 10:18 am: Edit

Do you think I can get into MIT? Its summer program, RSI (www.cee.org/rsi)? I'm in 11th grade.

Academics:

International Baccalaureate Diploma (graded 1 - 7)

Current Grades

Math HL 7
Physics HL 7
Chem HL 7
Business HL 7
French B SL 7
English SL 6
TOK/Extended Essay - (probably a 3 / 3)

SAT Scores (somewhat speculative)

PSAT 240 (2 practice tests)
SAT I 1600 (most recent 5 practice tests all 1600; others >1550)

SAT II Math IIC 800 (2 practice tests; Math HL grade)

Writing: 750 (5 practice tests, but could improve)

I'm planning to take Physics, but don't have enought information to predict.

Other academics:

Self Taught additional calculus (for CAS credit)- I just finished almost all of the IB Math HL (= AP Calc BC) curriculum and am moving on to basic multivariable calc.

Extended Essay: Usually started in January, but I've got some results. I'm studying sandpiles.

Extracurriculars:

Origami (beginning to fold 'complex' models ex: Kirschenbaum's Fluffy)

Tae Kwon Do (black, but unrecognised. Am training for WTF certicifation)

Debate

I'll probably be made a prefect in a couple months.

What do you think?

By Joe Smith on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 05:57 pm: Edit

You got a lot of things on your plate but you seem more than a little conceited.

By Collegeguy on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Well, sometimes when you work hard it's OK to boast once in a while.

Great stats!

By yce on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 04:44 am: Edit

I don't mean to pop bubbles etc etc but you're an American citizen and have a 6 in English SL?

I'm in the last year of the IGCSE program (10th grade), and making my IB selections - so that's a little scary.

Is there an explanation for that? I only ask because your other grades are so good.

While we're on the subject of IB - you think these required CAS hours actually harm our chances of admission, since the 150 hours aren't truly voluntary and of our own desire to ..um...change the world for the better, self-enrichment..er..yea..?

How much emphasis do you think colleges place on the actual subjects you choose, whether you take them at HL or SL, versus the actual total score you receive at the end?
More personally, I'd like to shoot for the IB Bilingual diploma but i think my score for Chinese A2 Standard would be a 5 (or possibly a 6), as opposed to the 7 I'm sure i could get if I aimed a little lower.
I'm also weighing Economics against History - will such a choice in humanities affect my chances to go to a US college? I'm thinking about pursuing medicine in the future.

By rsi2002 on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 08:55 am: Edit

Omkar,

Your "stats" are great-if you can pull them off. But the numbers are more of a filter than anything else. There are plenty of 1600s, 240s, with much better resumes than what you have, that don't get into RSI. Honestly, the people that do the selection for RSI won't care about your IB grades. Your e/c's look good for college, but how are they relevant to doing a research project at MIT??? And why do you want to go to RSI...to get into college?

By Omkar on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:16 am: Edit

Ok, update on stats:

Recieved 1600 SAT I (Nov.2 test)
19th in Indian National Science Olympiad (1st in state; around 15000 participants in my division)
Research project is coming along very well.
Recieved stated IB grades as pre-exam predictives.

RSI2002:

1. Did you go to RSI? If so, what was your paper on? If not, could you please tell me where you got your info? I'd like to know how to increase my chances of getting in.

2. I think my extra academics show my ability to do research and learn on my own. I believe this is what RSI looks for; that's the impression I got from the 2002 app.

3. I want to go to RSI because the program looks amazing. Doing actual research in 11th grade is very cool.

YCE:

1. My English grade sucks because this is the first time I'm doing any literary criticism. IB Eng is all lit. - linguistic ability is assumed.

2. CAS, I don't know. I already have around 70 hours, so I should exceed the required 150. Perhaps this would carry weight with colleges. Also, I seem to get CAS hours for many more activities than I thought. My hunch is that colleges don't look at CAS at all.

3. CalTech and MIT say that most people they admit can take tough courses and get A's, so I think they want to see people challenging themselves. I thought I would have a 4 in French, but I ended up with a 7 - you may do similarly well in Chinese A2, so give it a thought. No idea on the humanities question. Do what you enjoy and can score in.

By LIZ on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 09:39 am: Edit

You're still in 11th grade.... and when you posted this you hadn't taken any exams,,,,
that should change a lot about your grades...wait until then until you are too sure of yourself

By w00t on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:13 pm: Edit

http://discuss.princetonreview. com/forums/Thread.cfm?CFApp=3&Thread_ID=424594&mc=76

a lot of RSI alum hang out there

By Adam G. on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Hey there. I personally know a couple of people that went to RSI. You will probably get in because I think they only ask for your PSAT score. It would have been nice if you had science fair/ISEF experience because the people I know who went had prior ISEF experience. If you get into RSI you have nearly a 100% chance of being a STS semifinalist. So good luck!

By Omkar on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 03:07 am: Edit

Thanks for the help. My PSAT scores are slightly lower than expected, but my SAT I and II (Writing) scores are perfect, so I hope that will help.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

So -decisions on monday, huh?

By Hehe (Hehe) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

hey, i would first like to say that all of you are pretty awesome. Omkar, you have great stats. Okay, i am a sophomore right now, and i was wondering what it takes to get into RSI. Currently, I took the PSAT and got a 238 (damn grammar) took three SAT II's- math 1 and 2, chem, and got 800s in all three. I have started my own SAT and AP prep club, gotten awards in speech and debate, mock trial, and key club, and i got into the Ross summer math program. What else do i need to do.

By Omkar (Omkar) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 10:08 am: Edit

Rejected! Could anyone who got in post stats?

By Bman35 (Bman35) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

yo, i am in IB (11th grade) right now and there is no way in hell u could have completed so many higher levels by the 11th grade, i dont know how much more of ur stats are bs. And if it was somehow possible to get those stats then i think the people at RIS need to get their heads inspected if u got rejected.

Point-those IB HL exam scores are a load of bs, probably along with alot of other stuff. and if not prove me wrong, where is this mythical IB program where u can get 4 HL by 11th grade, website, something?

By Omkar (Omkar) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 10:35 am: Edit

I am taking those subjects, and had those grades at time of post.

By Jokemaker (Jokemaker) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:23 am: Edit

I got into RSI 2003 omkar. My stats are much worse than yours. :-)

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 10:13 am: Edit

Hello, Omkar - did you ever get an explanation why you got rejected, tho? I asked them before the actual letters were out (i never got my letter) what had been the fate of my lil folder, and they e-mailed me back telling me that i should have asked them in advance if i could apply or not, cuz im peruvian. since peru does not give any monetary support to RSI (we dont even have money to feed ourselves, so..), they couldnt accept me. I should have asked in advance, really. but they shoould also have told me when they got it and not just cashed those 25 bucks,right?

anyway. i felt really bad and everything cuz i had put a whole lot of work in the app and cuz i think my stats were good - but wtv.... when i emailed the lady there at RSI, she wasall apologetic and stuff and said she was gonna send my folder to mit - so--i dunno.... still, i wanted to go really bad!

plus, my situation was kindda complicated - im peruvian but i live in brazil - but i go to an american school - so...i dunno what they treated me as: peruvian, brazilian, american --ahhhh who knows.

but maybe that's the reason why you didnt get in...you have amazing stats and you're american, but maybe for us, those who live overseas, our country of origin doesnt really count, but the country we live in. in that case, for instance, in any way i would have been able to go in - either if considered brazilian or peruvian....

who knows? that might have been our demise. i think that for foreigners and americans overseas the thing is kindda messed up = rsi turns not into a competitive program anymore, butmore something like an exchange program... those countries that donate a whole bunch of money to them get to send their ppl.

so unfair. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR but what can i do.

good luck in everything else you do, tho!

:-)

gaby

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

-hey all, this is yce from ages ago -

bman, you're an idiot.
as part of the ib dip you do 6 with 3 at HL. Our IB graduates annually carry it off fine - omkar simply takes one more at HL rather than 3 at SL. Why this is a dead giveaway for bs i cannot comprehend.
While at my school, you are cautioned against taking more than 3 at HL, 4 is regularly granted for straight-A students...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page