Advice Needed, Please Help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Advice Needed, Please Help!
By Charlotte on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I am a sophomore in high school with some major questions...I went to a very small,(and im talking SMALL), private catholic middle school..the kind where you basically get either credit or no credit. So, of course my study skills going into highschool were not so great. This problem and my mistakes of stupidity (such as getting caught up in the party scene, peer pressure, and my teenage wannabe rebellion stage) caused me to completely bomb my freshman year. I was always told freshman year didnt count, dont worry about it and etc...but I realize now that I am going to have to do a LOT of work to make up for it and improve if I want to even get into a 4 year college. My first choice for a college right now is UCSB (santa barbara)...What do i need to do in order to get into this school? Im going to have around 100 community service hours before I graduate (my private high school requires it..), I went on a student intensive language program in Spain for a month last summer,I plan to join clubs, Im on the yearbook staff (im also most likely going to be the editor senior year), I do computer programming,I plan to get into more leadershiplike activities soon, such as coaching a kids soccer team, Im not taking any AP courses...(due to the freshman year antics), Should I really try to get into ap courses? Are they really that impairative? What else do I need for UCSB? Thank you.. I hope someone can help!

By BBB on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

AP courses could be "impairative" to your GPA, Charlotte! Seriously, just do the best you can. If you don't get into the college of your choice after graduation, try to compile a great freshman year, or freshman and sophomore years, at a college you can get into, and then transfer. Doesn't the UC system have a fairly liberal transfer policy? One thing thats true is that colleges do recognize and value an upward trend in performance. Even if UCSB doesn't come through, some good school probably will. Good luck!

By Catrina Dwyer on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:15 am: Edit

I am a high school sophmore and I'm looking into being a foreign exchange student next year. How will this affect my chances of getting into a good college. I'm not sure how this will affect the SAT's. I have a 4.0 and I'm top in my class.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page