Summer Volunteering Suggestions?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Summer Volunteering Suggestions?
By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

I would like to hear from you guys on some types of volunteering you have done that you liked and would be a good experience to possibly write about on a college essay? I have volunteered at a Hospital and a library and didn't particularly find either one ineteresting or worthwhile. Thanks for your input.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Well i'll tell you its hard for me to volunteer in the summer, especially this one coming up. I work for my family's lawn business (6 years now) and i am captain of the cross country team so those 2 activities take up A LOT of time. However, I also teach vocation bible school for a week (not having it this year though), i also volunteer a week for the LPGA golf tournament, and I also am doing a lot of volunteering for NHS. About the essay topic, I would strongly go against writing about a soup kitchen experience or anything of the like. Do you know how many people write essays on how their volunteering at a nursing home changed their life? I went to a Duke, Harvard, Penn, and Georgetown open house and they said it makes them wanna puke to read volunteering essays. Unless you do something extremely rare (i cant even think of anything off the top of my head) then pick a unique topic to write about (if you're funny write a funny story for example). Hope this helps!

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:54 am: Edit

Here are some different and interesting volunteer positions that my kids and their friends have held: summer-long volunteer repairing & formatting computers for local youth club (great job for computer nerds!); after-school mentoring and/or basketball with kids at same clubs; afternoon work at the animal shelter (yes, cleaning out cages!); cleaning out stalls and grooming at a riding stable for the handicapped; running computer labels and stuffing envelopes for a variety of local charities; unloading and stacking produce and canned goods for the local food bank - 1-1/2 hrs.weekly; unloading, stacking and helping distribute(carrying to cars, etc.) Toys for Tots giveaway for 4 days every Christmas season; moving and stacking merchandise, setting up bleachers and chairs for annual charity auctions; I can think of a few more, but you should get the idea. If you find something you enjoy, you'll be more committed to it. It doesn't have to be a group effort - call a group yourself or start your own group of 2 or 3. My son and 2 of his friends unloaded for the Food Bank every Tues. for 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed the physical activity, conversation and the feeling of contribution. It was a great break from the hours of study and practices. Look around - almost any not-for-profit organization will have volunteer jobs to be done if you are sincere in wanting to help. Please try not to focus on "essay topics" or how you can describe the experience on a resume. The world needs everyone to contribute something extra beyond their own needs if we're ever going to make things better.

Working with kids is also great IF you are certain you won't catch yourself feeling sorry for them or looking down on their social situation. They are just kids who could use an older friend/role model to help them along. Does any of this help?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page