? about Non Ivy league Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: ? about Non Ivy league Schools
By Nutmegisle (Nutmegisle) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Is it best to go to an ivy league school or go to a school that specializes in a field that you want to go into? what would be better to get your masters? are less prestegous schools better if they are better for that particualr subject?
Please Help Me Out! I am a sophmore and high school and i am about to start my college search and want to know what i should concentrate on. I am planing on going into some sort of theropy (physical, speach, ect.) if that helps any. Thanx for any feed back

By Nutmegisle (Nutmegisle) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

ok please someone anwser me or at least tell me you dont know!

By Pisces (Pisces) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

it's better to go to the school that has the best program for what you want. Remember, Ivy League is a name these eight colleges gave to themselves. It's kinda like in high school, when there is some "popular" kid who no one likes but he/she just thinks he is so everyone else just takes it as a given (i'm rambling, i dont know if this makes sense)
Basically, there are plenty of "non ivy" schools that have better programs than Harvard or whatever. You should look into whatever therapy you want to do and find out what the most respected schools are. You may be surprised. you may even find out that none of the ivies even have that major at all. Good luck.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

There are terrific schools that are non-Ivy, but I have no clue whether they offer your intended major. I do know that University of Chicago (Top 10, US News and World Reports) has a strong medical program. It's also a major research university and has produced a lot of nobel laureates and people with similar titles. I've been to the campus to do research, and the atmosphere is very intellectual. I really liked that. By the way, I'm a freshman (a year behind you,) and I have also started my college search. Some of the colleges I'm aiming for are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, and maybe Amherst or one of the Little Three colleges. Only four of the aforementioned colleges are actually members of the Ivy League. As you know, Ivy League is just a name given to a specific sports region, but the schools there just happened to be topnotch as well. University of Chicago is classified as part of the Big Ten League, Stanford is a member of another league, and so forth. Please post some of the colleges you are considering.

By Nutmegisle (Nutmegisle) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Thanks for your replys,
Ive thought more about it and decided that Ivy wasn't for me. I go to a very liberal, smallish high school and really enjoy it. I've been thinking about attending a college that is like that (i.e. liberal arts). If you know of any good schools that fit this limited discription please let me know so i can check them out. I also am looking for a school that is in the east, perfeably north, but not in New England (I live in New Hampshire and need to get away) and also would like to go to a school that has a lot of ethnic diversity, since there is none here. Thanks for any Info

By Nutmegisle (Nutmegisle) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Oh and im not really sure what i want to major in. Therapy was just somthing that i have been thinking about.

By Blane1086 (Blane1086) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Carleton is a good liber arts school in Minnesota. I've heard that they also have a good psych program, so I'd imagine that they have a decent therapy-type stuff as well. Hope this helps!

By Pisces (Pisces) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

The only problem with what you're looking for is that there arent that many ethnically diverse liberal arts schools. Personality-wise, they can be extremely diverse. it is (imo) the only major downfall of lacs. There also arent that many good schools in the northeast that arent in New England. Have you considered Boston? It's nothing like New Hampshire, so that wouldnt really be a problem. Tufts has a liberal arts school, is very liberal, but medium size. Amherst College? downfall for you, rural setting i guess. I cant really think right now, but it looks like you have a lot of researching to do. Good luck,

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

What drew me to an Ivy over the better ranked program in my major is
A) The money an Ivy has versus in this case, a state public
B) The individual attention
C) The dorms
D) the new culture experience

Hope that helps in some way. Basically it really came down to money. The state U I was considering has a top ten rated CSE (my major) program, but besides that, is running short on cash. However, the Ivy (Penn) has buckets and buckets of cash and expands like crazy. Just more security in getting a solid education, whereas state U is better now, but who knows two years down the line?

By Divingin (Divingin) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 07:05 am: Edit

it all depends what you want ... if you're into the name-brand thing, then ivy is the EASIEST way to go ... notice that i'm not saying the BEST, but the easiest- i mean it's just a group of 8 colleges that everybody seems to know right? if you want the money and you're in at princeton, well you know they abolished all loans so that's a great place for the tuition stuff. BUT if money is NOT a factor and ivy isn't everything (or name for that matter) then all other things being equal (which they never are, but still) go to a place that has the major you want and is strong in. i mean, why would anybody want to major in entymology (how do you spell it??) smack in NY city for example?? you'd go to a farm school!

By Nutmegisle (Nutmegisle) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

ok then, in the "real world" do the "brand name colleges" give you any extra advantage than a less heard of school?

By Nhfrenchie (Nhfrenchie) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:43 am: Edit

Ivy vs. non for what???

Look, once you know what you want in life, choose a school that fits "you". As long as the school has decent academics, it's what you make of the situation that will determine your success and how you measure success! Remember that one person's view of success can be quite different than someone else....Now, if you measure success by how much $$$$ you take home, there are plenty of studies that would indicate that after 10 years, Ivy graduates on average don't make any more than non-ivy (good school- first tier/second tier) graduates....

If you are pursuing research/academic career, then there is a corellation that getting a "name brand" education can help!

Good luck!

By Divingin (Divingin) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

i know it's been said before, but it really is what you do when you're there not REALLY where you are. look at time mag's persons of the year which was released this past december ... did any of the three women grad from so-called name brand schools? not really ... i know it's an extreme example but really it shows that school name isn't quite as everything as it seems. yes it helps to have a "good" school on your resume but heck there are zillions of "good" schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page