AP Computer Science Course

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: AP Computer Science Course
By Smoldyr (Smoldyr) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

I'm a junior and I'm considering taking AP Computer Science as an independent study next year. Is it possible to teach myself this class? There is no one at my school who can teach it. I am very good with computers and have some basic C++ experience (very basic stuff). Any comments as to the difficulty of this course would be greatly appreciated.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

Remember, next year will be java. I took Computer Science A (C++) so I don't know much about the new Comp Sci courses next yr.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

what comp sci will it be in two years from now?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

It has always been C++ in the past, but starting with the 2003-2004 school year they are changing the language to Java where it should stay for the indefinate future. So no one who has taken the course or exam already knows exactly what to expect next year.

BTW - anyone who already knows the basics of programming in C/C++ or Pascal may be interested in the free training program at www.usaco.org

By Deadcellbuddha (Deadcellbuddha) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

why did they change it to java? is that better than c++?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

I don't know diddly squat about programming, but according to my son, Java is much less powerful than C++. That's why Java isn't used in the national and int'l competitions.I think the switch is to make the course/exam easier. Someone else might know more.

By Silentopen (Silentopen) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Yes, it is true that Java is sometimes slower and less powerful (in the low level OS sense). However, the change was made because Java is MORE powerful in almost every other way. The language is almost completely object-oriented, supports multiplatform executables (via compilation into bytecode), and has massive university and corporate support. Java is quickly becoming an industry standard. I have taken the AP CS A test and class and found it a breeze. You would EASILY be able to self-study and get a 5. I will take the AP CS AB test/class in 04-05. I do not anticipate it being very much more difficult based on what I have seen/heard from people taking APCSAB. APCSA is possibly one of the easiest AP tests (compared to Calc BC and AP US).

silentOpen
----------
With the silent... and the open... and the... yeah.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page