Calc AB/BC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Calc AB/BC
By Dskybsun (Dskybsun) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Hi I was scanning through the subjects and didn't find this an answer to my question. Ok here goes: Does it make a huge difference to colleges (by colleges I mean like ivy league, top ten, etc.) if i took CAlc AB or Calc BC during my sophmore year? Currently I'm taking ALg II/ Trig Honors during my frosh year. My teacher said that if I did good on his ALg 2 placement exam he'd reccomend me for BC. Thanks

By Spunkymunky (Spunkymunky) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

All I have to say is go for Calc BC. If you're a precocious math whiz then don't hold yourself back. Since Calc BC covers more material (coupled with your soph status), you'll make an extraordinary impression on the Top Ten colleges. Anything that differentiates you from the pack is a plus. If you score well enough on the placement exam, go for Calc BC. It will be a lot of hard work, but you'll have a leg up on the competition.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I agree with Spunkymonkey. If your teacher thinks you can do it, go for the BC.

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 03:48 pm: Edit

I took Honors Algebra/Trig Freshman year, our school gives Honors Calculus for the next year, then AP for the year after that.

By Dontknow (Dontknow) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

So, no pre-cal?

By Chloe (Chloe) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

I would suggest that you take Calc AB next year. It really doesn't matter if you take BC your sophomore year or your junior year since either year is considered advanced. The majority of high school students never even reach BC before graduating. W
hat would be really terrible, is taking BC next year and doing poorly in it. What's the rush? What do you plan on taking senior year? Taking ab next year would only make your life easier junior year since you'll have already covered a lot of the bc material in ab.
To anwer your questions, it does not make a "huge" difference at all.

I also took Alg 2/trig freshman year. Then, math analysis honors sophomore year, calc bc junior year (i got a 5 on the ap) and this year I took multivariable calc and differential equations. It worked out well.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page