Way too small school

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Way too small school
By Dave323 (Dave323) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 01:10 am: Edit

There is no competition at my high school. No one has heard of an AP exam, my math teacher had never heard of the AMC, our foreign language department consists of one Spanish 1 class and one Spanish 2 class, precalculus and physics are only offered when there are enough people to take them (every two or three years at best), our math team consists of me and a foreign exchange student, and I tied the SAT school record (1410) my freshman year. I know this can't be good for college admissions, so does anyone have any suggestions for remedying this problem? I'm taking math classes at a nearby state college, and I'm planning on going to Japan for a year (I'm currently a sophomore), but does someone with experience in his situation have any other ideas for making me appear a competitior for some of the higher-ranked colleges? Thanks!

By Number9 (Number9) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Hey, I hear you. My school isnt as bad as yours, but its around the same. Theres only French and Spanish, only Seniors get to take Physics and Calc. Only 4 AP classes...

Take the hardest stuff you can, and learn more elsewhere is what I suggest. You seem to be doing pretty good so far.

Its hard to fly with the eagles while surrounded by turkies.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

You sure are maxing out of your school and that's exactly what elite schools like to see. And I think you will stand out more because of that, rather than just doing enough to get by at a great school. You are doing a great job...keep it up.

One more thing...to be brief, find out your passion, pursue it, and stress that in your application. Elite schools say students who have pursued their passions are usually the hardest to find but those are exactly what they're looking for.

Good luck and never give up! You sound like a very talented student!

By Localmooer (Localmooer) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Good luck! I see that you're taking math courses at a college. Elite universities love that, as you're taking the initiative to push the envelope. I recommend taking as many courses as you can there.

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 01:23 am: Edit

what's the size of the graduating class? Mine was 8.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page