Foreign Language

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Foreign Language
By Stillwaters (Stillwaters) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

I took French in middle school for two years, and I took French 3 and 4 my frosh and soph years. After finishing 4, I took the French SAT II (720). A lot of colleges that I've been looking at recommend 3 yrs of a language in high school. Will the fact that I only took two hurt me? Or will the SAT II make up for it? (My first choices are Penn and Brown.)

Norah

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

If you finished French 4, you have everything colleges have in mind with the "3 years". They want a level of proficiency, not number of months served.

By Minority (Minority) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

how will they react to Italian 4 honors senior year not having taken any other course? Will they be imprssed or assume it's a joke class (which in some respects it is...)

By Number9 (Number9) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:38 pm: Edit

I think they'll only assume its a joke if you get a bad grade. If you managaed to pull an A or B, with no other Italian classes before, it might looks good...

Its hard to say, really.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

There are lots of ways to gain language proficiency other than taking a class. If you lived in Italy or had Italian speaking family-memebrs, you could easily start with a higher level course than a total beginner would. Maybe a literature course instead of conversational. The main thing is to document your level of proficiency. If not with a grade in a course, than with a standardized test score.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page