Is leadership soooo important?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: High School Life and Pre-college Issues: May, 2003 and Earlier Archive: Is leadership soooo important?
By Francesca (Francesca) on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Hi Guys!
I was just wondering how important leadership roles actually are??? Because I'm not really the leadership type... however, my EC's are really weak and need improving. I already volunteer but what else could I do to improve my EC's apart from leading something.
Please help!
Fran xxx

By Javaprogrammer (Javaprogrammer) on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Well you could start a club!

As for leadership, work on that! Start off small, if your teacher gives you a grade you don't appreciate demand higher! Don't take no for an answer!

Good Luck!

By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Yeah, Im the same as you. Im thinking about starting a club at my school. Or at least starting one outside of the school and later getting the school to support it.

I dont even volunteer yet.

I should really this summer.

By Anothersuitcase (Anothersuitcase) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 08:50 am: Edit

It's good to have leadership positions, but I wouldn't rely solely on the SCA/SGA route. A number of colleges and universities are catching on to the fact that it's a popularity contest - i.e. class treasurer is almost worthless in their eyes. If you're interested, join your school's yearbook or newpaper staff; positions there are regarded with a bit more validity.

By Premed88 (Premed88) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

if you're a secretary of a club and not the "president", how do colleges view that?

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Id say not as good as a president, but you'd still get better looked upon than someone who is only a member...

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I must say I find this an interesting point. What exactly does one believe colleges are looking for when the subject of leadership comes up? Surely it's not the ability to win a "beauty contest" type of job, as Anothersuitcase pointed out above. Is it that those in leadership poisitions are considered to have commitment, good organising skills, an inability to say "no", or what? I mean they surely don't want everyone to be a leader. Wouldn't that be a recipe for disaster? There must be some quality in being in a leadership position that they are looking for, but I can't believe it's the position per se. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

By Carrimelo (Carrimelo) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:35 am: Edit

If you're trying to do leadership to bulk up your college app., I don't think it will help you. You can go ahead and join student government, run for office in clubs... but the effort/spirit you put into those positions may not be true leadership quality.
On the other hand, I'd recommend just trying it out because you might like it. Before I got into leadership, I was very shy and had low self-esteem. But the more the job demanded of me, the more I put out. So now I'm involved in a LOT of leadership positions and I feel much better about myself overall. =] It can help you out in a lot more ways than just college!

By Carrimelo (Carrimelo) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

In response to Jenniferpa, I think colleges look for the leadership attitude. It's not what you've done or what positions you've held. It's the demeanor with which you present yourself in person. When you see how a leader acts and speaks, you can tell this is a person who takes initiative and a person you would want to follow. Leaders require skills you mentioned like organization and committment but they use these skills in a way that builds positive impact. They work well with other people and know when to step down and let others take charge.

By Galaal2004 (Galaal2004) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Is it a good idea to join a bunch of clubs and be 75% active or a few clubs and be 100% active--will colleges notice that in your application

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

all my leadership, is being selected as one of the top people for my school as a participant in our citywide youth leadership columbus for high school juniors, which is a 6-day seminar thing, sophomore class treasurer, and i'm going to found a couple clubs next year and start them up from the ground, and then stuff like captain of math team and academic team

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

same here, while all my classmates brag about the typical "student council, Helping Hands and X" clubs that they and the whole school are essentially a part of, my leadership successes have been attributed to the National Forensic League (captain of the debate team), National Honor Society (vice-president and volunteerism organizer)Literary Magazine (Co-Chief Editor) among others, including all that other stuff. So don't sweat it, if you take on an EC however, be sure to take it on for a good deal of time. I think colleges look for more of the dedication as opposed to the typical "I was the representative of the pottery club" types.

By Ziplocky (Ziplocky) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Here's my take on the EC's...

DON'T JOIN EVERY FRIKKIN CLUB.

Oh man, seriously, College admissions officers aren't idiots. When you have a 4 page resume of clubs and a 1400+ SAT and a straight 4.0 average, they KNOW you're not giving the clubs 100% effort. AND if you still are, it's a double edged sword, because colleges don't want anti-social robots who can't foster a life outside the institution's walls.

Join a few things you really like. IT'S FAR, FAR, FAR more important to dedicate yourself to 4 years of one thing than do 40 things on year.

By Psycmidget (Psycmidget) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

So does being SCA/Class president help? I don't think that it is always a popularity contest. I got elected and I don't consider myself popular.

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

if you're dedicated to it, lead your chapter into a lot of projects and things, sure. But if you're that and the president of a lot of clubs simultaneously, it doesn't look as intriguing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page