Tell me something good about MIT!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Tell me something good about MIT!!!
By Kluless (Kluless) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

I feel very discouraged.
Since I received my acceptance letter, I've not heard a single good thing about MIT.
A friend's mom told me that I won't have time to eat at MIT.
A teacher told me that I won't have a life at MIT.
My friends think Stanford is better than MIT.
Other people say that MIT is boring and full of nerds who have no life.
Please!! Someone who is at MIT or is more familiar with the institution, tell me something good about MIT.

By Tommyy (Tommyy) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 02:33 am: Edit

Ignore them... MIT is my dream school, congrats for being accepted.
An MIT degree will no doubt open many doors for you; it is defiantly one of the most respected, most prestigious schools in the nation. You will recieve a world class education and people who say otherwise are just jealous. Seriouly, don't worry about them, I have a few friends at MIT and they absolutely LOVE it. btw, would you mind posting your stats? Thanks

By Kluless (Kluless) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

Thanx Tommyy.
Can you tell me more about the workload and the social life? How much do you know about food at MIT?
Here are my stats (they aren't very impressive tho)
SAT I: 1480
SAT II Physics:780
Math IIC: 750
Writing: 750
5 APs in Total
EC's:
instruments: harp
Sports: Field hockey (goalie), Track
Clubs: School newspaper(prez)
band (VP)
Key club
tutoring
design club
Film studio
Awards: one service award, 8 academic awards

By Medprof (Medprof) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Stanford is a wonderful university in every aspect. Going there will give you so much more opportunities to explore different academic interests. No one can deny that the pressure in MIT is immense, hence the high suicide rate. For some statistics, see
http://www.uwire.com/content/topnews013102002.html.

By Dree (Dree) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

MIT is my dream school also, and it's where I'm going next year. I've visited it twice (once just on my own, once for Campus Preview Weekend) and both times I met lots of fun, social people who were working hard but who also knew how to party and have a good time. I, too, have several friends at MIT who love the place. The food situation is pretty good, instead of a traditional college where you have to buy a meal plan and eat crappy dorm food everyday, you just put money on your MIT ID and use it at about 20 or more different restaurants on campus. There are different options to suit every taste and style, and it makes for a lot more variety. There is an awesome food court with about 6 different restaurants in the student center, as well as a grocery store, and there's always Burger King if you're on the run. Also, this means that if you want to go into Boston to eat in one of the many great restaurants there, you aren't wasting money on dorm food you've already paid for. You also asked about the workload. It's intense, obviously, but the people there really help each other out a lot (with problem sets and studying for exams, etc), which makes it a lot more do-able. People are very busy with their classes, but also very busy with sports (more than 80% of MIT students participate in IMs), activities, social life, etc.

By Kluless (Kluless) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Thanx for the info Dree.
Medprof: those are scary suicide stats! MIT kids are under a lot of pressure apparently...

By Shadowlicious (Shadowlicious) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 01:42 am: Edit

eh, MIT publicizes suicide data when other places don't. And we haven't had an undergraduate suicide since 2001 (the recent staff member who killed herself last week was a Harvard undergrad)

Anyway, email me if you have specific questions or are still reading this thread. I love it here and don't want to be anywhere else.

addict (at) mit (dot) edu

By Kluless (Kluless) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:42 am: Edit

Thanx u guys!
I feel much better!I think I should contact more people who are actually at MIT so I know exactly wat kind of school to expect!

By Confused2007 (Confused2007) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

I'm going to MIT next year and I heard many crazy stories about the place. It wasnt until I actually went to the campus that I completely fell in love with the place. Contrary to popular opinion, the students at MIT know how to work hard and play hard. The campus is really nice and boston is just a walk away. There's definitely tons of work, but there is a strong sense of cooperation among the students and studying actually becomes fun.

By Dree (Dree) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Confused, that was the exact sense I got of the place too. I'm also going there next year!

By Confused2007 (Confused2007) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:41 pm: Edit

kool...do u know where you're living? and where are you from?

By Dree (Dree) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

I think I'm going to put MacGregor down as my first choice because I really want a single. How about you? Oh, and I'm from the midwest.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

i have the exact same feeling too!
i have always wanted to go to MIT but have been quite intimidated after being accepted.
but after campus preview weekend, i love the school alot and i know i will be going there!
and i'm interested in simmons hall

By Confused2007 (Confused2007) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

I'm debating between simmons and baker. The only thing about simmons is that its sooo far from classes and baker is so close, but then simmons looks a lot nicer. I dunno its a tough call but not really a big deal.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

baker is just a little too social for me. i like a bit of socializing on the floor...but it seems to me baker is just a little too much. and i would prefer to live in singles or doubles, and the new simmons is looking really attractive...
and the walk.....i guess i can take it. hahaha. cant wait to walk to class in the snow... (im from southern california....)

By Shadowlicious (Shadowlicious) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:58 am: Edit

"It's not really a big deal"

One of the reasons MIT is bearable is because I go home to people that I share values with, that I get along with, that are perfect for me to live with. Home really is home, not just a place to sleep; MIT is stressful enough that living with people you get along with and have culture is a huge respite. Seriously, choosing the living group that's right for you *is* a big deal. And you can get a single or double at places other than Macgregor.

Simmons and Baker are very different...Simmons is still very new, so its culture isn't developed so much, but the times I've been there few people are ever in the lounges and *everyone* has their door shut. It feels very closed off, but I'm sure eventually that will improve. The Simmons GRTs (like RAs) sponsor a lot of study breaks with free food and parties and such. Baker is more social, lots of drinking. You probably already know if EC, Senior Haus, Random, or Bexley are possibilities or not.

addict (at) mit (dot) edu

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 01:32 am: Edit

im thinking about moving over to the east side later on in my years there. i love hanging out with the people there, but i doubt i can work under those atmosphere when i first get there.

By Kluless (Kluless) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 05:14 am: Edit

You get to choose your dorm at MIT?
When are they sending housing information?
Someone please tell me about housing for freshmen at MIT! Thanx!!!!
I don't know much about MIT housing.
I am, as my username suggests, kluless.

By Lurker (Lurker) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:26 pm: Edit

As an alum, I enjoyed reading this thread.

First of all, Confused2007 seems to have summed up MIT very well -- apparently now as was back then. The students had a great sense of comradery (it was "us" against "the 'Tute"), and students always supported their fellow students through problem sets, exams, etc. MIT students mostly tended to be both interesting and passionately interested in other things in addition to math and science. Boston is a wonderful college town, and I wouldn't have traded my MIT experience for anything.

I am also interested in the discussion about dorms! We obviously didn't have Simmons Hall a generation ago, but the rest of the dorms mentioned here had lores and reputations, some of which appear to have not changed. For those who are interested, here are the 1970s reputations of the MIT dorms currently being discussed --

Baker -- A very social, rowdy dorm, known for its famous "hacks" such as throwing a piano off the roof once a year and attacking the tour buses that traveled down Amherst Alley with Star Wars style phasers. Went co-ed my freshman year.

MacGregor -- A quiet, much more studious, all-male dorm all arranged in Entries. The problem with this dorm is that the occupants are pretty much isolated with the people in their Entries.

EC and Senior House -- on East Campus which was more isolated back then because the COOP was in the Student Center, and Kendall Square was just an industrial wasteland with a "T" stop. These were the more run-down and laid-back dorms back then.

Bexley -- In the 70's, Bexley was home to the stoners, druggies, and potheads. I never actually knew anyone who lived in Bexley. Freshmen were known to put "ANYWHERE BUT BEXLEY" on their dorm request cards, and Bexley ran an "anti-rush" designed to scare everyone off.

I lived in the only all-female dorm (McCormick) known back then as the MIT Hilton because it was perceived to be so luxurious. In my day, there were not even 200 girls in a class of 1,000

Best of luck to you all at the Tute, there are lots of good things about MIT.

By Kluless (Kluless) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

How difficult is it to get into McCormick?

By Lurker (Lurker) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Hi Kluless,
I obviously have no idea about how hard it is to get into McCormick nowadays, but it is the only on-campus just female housing. I would guess that if you felt strongly about not living in a co-ed dorm and wanted an all-girl dorm, MIT should make an effort to get you into McCormick.

If you've never seen McCormick, it has two "towers" -- West and East. West Tower is arranged in floors and has HUGE singles and four enormous corner-doubles that are big enough to easily be triples. There is also one center double on each floor. Two of each floor's corner doubles and center double have gorgeous views of the Charles River. The East tower is all singles, arranged in suites of 6 or 7 single rooms, two suites per floor. All floors and suites have huge kitchens.

The lobby floor of McCormick has huge rooms for "entertaining gentlemen," dating back to the days (circa 1960s) when men weren't allowed in girls' dorm rooms. These rooms are great for organizing study groups to do problem sets. The lobby floor also has a full gym, a music room, a sewing room, huge living rooms, and a defunct dining hall that was used in my day for dorm-wide study breaks.

All things considered, McCormick is physically a great dorm. I went back to visit last summer and it looked a bit more worn and threadbare than I remembered, but I still have wonderful memories of the place.

Don't be discouraged about what people say about MIT. Yeah, you'll work hard, but you'll meet interesting people, you will have time to eat, and you will have a life if you make time for one! An MIT education gives you a lot, and you will reap the benefits of it year and years after you graduate. If you also got into Stanford, it's also a great school, but make your choice on positive things, not based on negative hearsay about MIT.

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Hi, I'm Anjana. I'm a senior in high school and I was accepted at MIT, too. I first thought MIT would be my last choice after everything that I'd heard about it. But after I went to CPW my perception completely changed. Every student I met is well-adjusted and knows how to balance a social life with studying. I decided to go there - I chose it over an Ivy that I had really wanted to go to before.

As for housing, I stayed in Next House at CPW and liked it. Everybody keeps their door open - people are popping in and out all the time. It's a far walk from campus but maybe I'll be able to keep off the freshman 15 that way. I don't know. I didn't have time to visit any other hall except for McCormick, which I thought was not social enough for me. Baker might be too social, though...

Did any of you see other dorms? What did you think? I'd be interested to know your opinions. Thanks.

By Dree (Dree) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I also liked Next House when I went to CPW, and I didn't really think it was that far from campus. (I stayed in Sydney Pacific a really cool grad dorm that houses a few undergrads but it's quite a walk). I also liked MacGregor and Simmons.

By Kluless (Kluless) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:24 am: Edit

What are the bathrooms like?
How does the meal plan thing work?

By Shortii22 (Shortii22) on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 11:10 am: Edit

can someone please give me tips about how to get into mit, about what kinds of EC things to do this summer

By 317mat288 (317mat288) on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 01:34 am: Edit

hey Kluless~
i'm gonna be a sophomore this year in HS in CA and ever since i was a child, i wanted to go to MIT b/c back when i watched tv and movies where the hero who saves the world is some MIT graduate and etc. Is it alright if i email u a couple times to see how life is at MIT? just so i can sorta get a "feel" for it. I don't wanna sound like a strnger though or some stalker and nothing to worry about me cuz i'm all the way in CA, like i said above. Well, thanx and good luck in MIT!

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Ummm...is that the only reason you want to go to MIT?

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

317mat288: lol... i think that's cute for a child to think that! :) I can't say much about MIT life, but their clusters are soooooooooo nice =) Food on campus on the other hand sucked. =\

By Asshawl (Asshawl) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:27 pm: Edit

ph34r the physics requirement

By Gangsta (Gangsta) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:30 am: Edit

I got into MIT, RPI, UCB, UIUC, and Stanford. Attending RPI in the fall. For engineering, any good undergrad school will do it. I chose RPI cause it's closer, i like it, and it suits my major.

By Chronic19 (Chronic19) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 11:47 am: Edit

You idiot, RPI is not even in the same league as MIT for undergraduate work. Big mistake.

By Medprof (Medprof) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 12:41 pm: Edit

RPI also gives out a lot of merit aid which Gangsta probably got. The school is very technology oriented, and the internship opportunities sound great too.

By Onegoogle (Onegoogle) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:06 am: Edit

Hello my name is Paul, and I really want to get into MIT I have lots of interest. The only problem is I don't have good grades and I'm not a good test taker, I havenít taken the ACT, SAT II, or anything yet. This is my senior year I am gong to get all A's and B's this year, but that will not have much impact on my overall GPA. I have lots of EC activities; I am pretty much self thought on everything I know now. Can you please please give me some sound advise on what I should do to get into MIT. Thanks--

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page