Pre-College

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Duke University: 2004 Archive: Pre-College
By Dukedreamer (Dukedreamer) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

I heard that as long as your stats are in the 25-75 range, and you do the pre-college program in the summer, you're guaranteed a spot. Anyone else know anything on the subject?

By Jwtullis (Jwtullis) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

I was accepted to Duke (and I also applied and was accepted to the Precollege program, although I couldn't attend) and I've heard that before, but I'm not entirely sure it's true. For a college as reputable as Duke, it seems odd to me that there would be a way for guaranteed acceptance.

I can tell you, however, that doing the precollege program acts as a way to familiarize yourself with Duke and vice versa. It shows that you truly are interested in going to Duke, which is a quality the admissions committee will look for. What's more, perhaps taking classes in the area you show strong interest in on your application will show them your passion for that field. So while I'd say, if you are a reasonable candidate for admission otherwise, the program might somewhat increase your chances for admission, it most likely won't guarantee you a spot in their class.

By Britt123 (Britt123) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

THIS IS NOT TRUE. Going to pre-college will most definitely not guarantee you a spot.
I went to pre college last year and got a b+ in my calc class and a a- in my seminar. Those were not considered bad scores. I also got both of my profs to write me letters of recc and i applied early. My scores and my gradepoint were both very competitive. I was deferred and then my interviewer and the regional interviewer got really mad because they thought i was the top applicant in my area and i STILL DIDNT GET IN!
Pre college tho, was one of the best experiences of my life. I still talk to kids i met last year. Living on the campus may seem dull sometimes, but its what you make out of the people you surround yourself with that can make your summerthe best ever. It also made me feel like i was ready for college.
I feel like I already know so much more than my peers going into college in the fall.
Good luck and have fun :)

By Dukedreamer (Dukedreamer) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot for your advice guyz! That helped a bunch.

Britt: I remember seeing your posts a while ago...that must have been really tough...werent you like 1/1000+ or something? Did you get in RD?

If it doesn't guarantee a spot, does it give you a really big boost? I know it shows interest, but wouldn't applying early show that too?

By Theguac (Theguac) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

I don't think it gives you a BIG boost, but it may show the admissions committee that you are truly interested in their university. The officers are smart though and know that some students do the program just to add another recognized and prestigious component onto their applications; these applicants are the easiest to reject (just ask a person I know who applied last year and was rejected across the board because it was obvious he just wanted to attend a world-class university).

So, if you are REALLY interested in Duke and you are thinking of applying early and you make that interest apparent in your application, I think TIP may give you some help, though by no means the winning edge--you will have to prove yourself more than simply attending the program.

(Most of my TIP friends applied early and would have probably made the university even without attending the program. Therefore, this may answer your question quite simply--to be admitted to Duke, you will still have to hold the same qualifications that everyone else has, and it certainly will not make you stand out considerably, but it will gauge your interest and your ability to succeed in college, which would be shown from your TIP grades among other things.)

By Britt123 (Britt123) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:22 am: Edit

it does help your application, but then there were some of us that just didnt get lucky... I was qualified, duke is just a very "hot" school, there are thousands of qualified students that apply every year that get rejected. I even applied early to TIP, in addtion to applying early to Duke.
I also applied to Northwestern (accepted), Notre Dame (accepted), Vanderbilt (accepted), Wake Forest (accepted), Middlebury (waitlist), Dartmouth (waitlist), and brown and duke, from which i was rejected. College admissions are VERY competitive nowadays.. but no matter what, as I previously stated, Pre-college will give you a priceless experience in a real college setting. HAVE FUN :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page