Prepare for AMC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Prepare for AMC?
By Sagar_Indurkhya (Sagar_Indurkhya) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Hi. I can usually score very high scores in math class, and do really good on the SAT and stuff like that. I have a 93 on AMC 10, with no prep. My friend John got a 109, and he is in all those math clubs. How can I increase my score on this type of test.

How do you qualify for IMO AIME?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

to prepare:
www.artofproblemsolving.com
definitely buy the books. Consider the online courses.

to qualify for AIME - get a high score on the AMC 10 or 12. It's automatic from there. No special application or anything.

to qualify for IMO - get a high score on AIME. Qualify for and get a high scores on the next exam (USAMO). Get invited and do well at the olympiad training camp.

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

The books are decent, but I'd recommend that you use them more as references than actual text books (meaning, skim through them or look something up, but don't necessarily read through each volume from cover to cover). I find the forums, classes, and 'math jams' on www.artofproblemsolving.com to be very helpful. But the best advice I can give you is: do NOT read math problems and their solutions - DO them. Do as many as you can. And if you can't figure out the solution to one problem, think on it for a day and see if it comes to you. Forgive me, but, practice does make perfect. :)

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

the books are not textbooks at all. There's a little text at the beginning of each chapter, but not much. I don't even think they would be useful as a reference. The reason to get them is that they contain lots of problems from various contests. (solutions are in a separate volume). If you systematically worked thru the books and did all the problems, you would be in great shape for AMC.

By Mathninja (Mathninja) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Which books would you guys recommend buying? There are a bunch listed on that site. Is there any web site or book that has the actual AMC tests from recent years in it? I've seen some with 80's tests, but do you guys know where to find the most recent ones?

By Somecanadianguy (Somecanadianguy) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

http://www.kalva.demon.co.uk/aime.html
http://www.math.ksu.edu/main/events/hscomp/samples/amc12/sample.htm

thats where you can get old aime contests and amc12 samples, otherwise you need to buy them, i can post that link later if you would like

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 07:41 am: Edit

"Art of Problem Solving" vol 1 covers most of the stuff on AMC 10/12 exams. Vol 2 covers problems like the hardest AMC 10/12 problems, plus AIME and intro to Olympiad type problems. The problems in the books are drawn from multiple contests, not just AMC. You'll need the solution book. Only avail at www.artofproblemsolving.com

If you want just AMC problems, you can buy books of problems and solutions from AMC.

By Mathninja (Mathninja) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Thank you so much for the solution pages, somecanadianguy, i have been looking for those for a long time. I will also considering buying the books. I bought The Problem Book V and i really like it.

By Somecanadianguy (Somecanadianguy) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

No problem, I spend a while looking for them too, I finally found them by asking on the AofPS site. The site is amazing!

By Mathninja (Mathninja) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

I know, i love that site even though i have yet to unlock its many benefits. Can you explain what the math jams are all about?

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:49 am: Edit

The math jams are usually lively discussions of a certain set of problems. The moderator steers things in an appropriate way. You can look up the transcripts of past jams, for example, of the recent AMC.

Another resource on AoPS is their selection of online math classes. Several of these are geared towards AMC-sequence tests. They are usually once a week for 2-3 hours; some last for several weeks, some for only one or two. You'll need a credit card to sign up.

By Mathninja (Mathninja) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

How much do they cost, how much dedication do they take, and are you required to actually do anything for them? I assume you dont get a grade.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page