MIT Admissions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: MIT Admissions
By sgandhi on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:38 am: Edit

If someone were to have really high test scores and a high GPA, would that be enough to get into MIT? That is, does MIT weigh SAT's and GPA heavily? Thanks.

By Yianni Alexander on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:55 pm: Edit

No, MIT does not only rely heavily on SAT's and GPA. They are important though. You should be an all around excellent student. Your interview, ec's, essays, and recs are VERY important as well. I know of students with 800 on math, and 700 and up on verbal, with high GPA's as well who were rejected from MIT.

By Dadster on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Like other elites, MIT looks at the whole student. Nevertheless, IMO they will probably look at test scores, grades, and other indicators (e.g, outside research, etc.) that indicate a student will be able to handle the heavy duty math/science workload.

By nateo on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

I was wondering if anyone could evaluate my chances at being admitted to MIT. I took three AP classes last year. They were Calculus BC, Chemistry, and US History and my scores are 5,4, and 4 respectively. I took the SAT II and took the Chemistry, US History, and Math IIc test and got 760, 730, and 700 respectively. I have been going to Brigham Young University and learning with an undergraduate there doing some research. I am an Eagle Scout, in NHS, German Club and Honor Society, and science club. I will be a senior in high school this year. I am taking AP German, English, Biology, and possibly some sort of Physics. Any help would be useful and appreciated.

By Dadster on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 07:46 pm: Edit

What do your SAT I and GPA look like, nateo?

By nateo on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Well, I haven't taken the SAT but I did take the ACT and got a 33. I have an unweighted 4.0 and am ranked 1 of 485.

By DEA on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 02:45 pm: Edit

What university is the best for physics? science in general?

Would Caltech take that title or possibly MIT?

By nateo on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 01:23 pm: Edit

I just had to fill some empty spots and I found out that I am ranked 1 of 460 instead of 1 of 485. I am taking four AP classes this year. AP English, Biology, Physics, and German. If anyone could help me. I guess I just missed you Dadster when I first posted.

By Dadster on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 07:12 pm: Edit

You look very competitive to me, nateo. Having said that, admissions to colleges like MIT are unpredictable, since many students with great stats apply. You should definitely get a good look, though. I'd suggest building on your research work, if you can - maybe as an essay topic or additional submittal (only if very good, of course). Or, try doing something completely non-technical for your essay to show another side of you. Good luck!

By nateo on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 01:14 am: Edit

Hey thanks Dadster. Thank you for giving me a little bit of confidence. I've been wondering if I should even apply. I am going to apply. Thank you again.

By Josh on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 05:47 pm: Edit

I a Mit Graduated of 1999. and I sure miss Mit. :(. I do think back there sometimes. I am so happy where I am working in Washington D.c

By nateo on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Hey Josh, I'm wondering if you think I could be accepted. My stats are above in previous posts.

By Josh on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Hey Nateo, Your stats are very imprestives. I sure u can get in. Most inportantly u have to do well when u do a personal interview. Just be your self and answer honestly. I will get in..

By nateo on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 07:38 pm: Edit

thanks, Josh

By 17 on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I really want to get into MIT! i have 800M and 720V...750 in Chem SAT2 and 760 in Math1C, as well as 790 in Chinese...GPA is 98.7...class rank is #1 or 2...varsity tennis, key club (50 or so hrs), spanish club, counselor at church, member of youth group, play piano

What do u think?

By wow on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I want to go to MIT too. I just missed top 10%, 1500, above 750 on SAT II's, alot of ec's, decent summer work. Do I have a chance?

By Dadster on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Sure you have a chance, wow... just be aware that MIT is very competitive and many people with great qualifications will be rejected. Suggestion: Carnegie Mellon is a bit less competitive, but is strong in some of the same fields as MIT.

By Kris Fiedler on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 03:53 pm: Edit

I am looking to apply to MIT as a transfer student next year. I scored a 1490 on my SAT 10 years ago and have yet to take the SAT II's. I am a veteran and I currently work as a Technical Writer/Field Engineer for a radar manufacturing company. As far as research goes (which seems to be important), I hold a patent for a Modular Power Supply. I am rather dominant in all of my classes at the local CC but remain faceless to my Profs due to class size. Any tips or should I save the $65.

Thank you

By dang on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 10:33 am: Edit

Please tell me what my chances are:
800M, 700V
760 average in II's
My school is one of the most competitive in NE, unranked and I'm like top 15%
I have great ec's, volunteer, and work experience
Help, me...i'm guessing i need at least 1550 and top 5% in my class...shi*

By r206 on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 02:27 am: Edit

dang:

I think you're chances are probably pretty good, assuming you can write good essays. I recently graduated from MIT, and while there are people there with 1600s and 4.0s, they're not in the majority. For example, I got a 1490 SAT score and a 3.3GPA in high school.

MIT divides your application into a objective and subjective rating. The objective rating is based on acamdemics like SAT, GPA, etc. and the subjuective rating is based more on your ec's and other more human qualities. There were people in my class with much lower academics who showed a lot of initiative in their personal lives and got admitted based on their non-academic qualities. They still had to show that they could handle the coursework, but MIT is more willing than some schools to take a chance on students. That said, I think a 1500 SAT is pretty strong academically.

By dang on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:00 pm: Edit

thanks a lot r206 for your help. Yeah, actually, i'm very similar to you. I have a B+ average at an extremely competitive public high school in New England. My ec's are really good. I sent a tape of my music and i have lots of research/work experience. My essay is very different i'm positive and my interview was good also. I think MIT is not ready to take a risk on someone with a 3.5 so hopefully (i really want to go there!) i can get in regular. ONce again, thank you for taking the time to help me.

By Deferred and Wondering on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:40 pm: Edit

i got deferred. i have a 1600, 800 math I, 800 math II, above 750 on three other SAT IIs. i started a club, am president of 2, student council, varsity tennis, decent volunteer work, straight A average. i also have numerous math/sci awards, top math/sci student in grade, winner of school contests, state science olympiad awards. why might i have been deferred? lack of national awards? or might listing economics as intended major have hurt me?

By Tim on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 07:07 pm: Edit

I would perhaps say that you are Asian or White and maybe weak essays, interview, or recommendations. That's just my guess.

Tim

By dang on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 07:25 pm: Edit

thanks a lot r206 for your help. Yeah, actually, i'm very similar to you. I have a B+ average at an extremely competitive public high school in New England. My ec's are really good. I sent a tape of my music and i have lots of research/work experience. My essay is very different i'm positive and my interview was good also. I think MIT is not ready to take a risk on someone with a 3.5 so hopefully (i really want to go there!) i can get in regular. ONce again, thank you for taking the time to help me.

By r206 on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:12 pm: Edit

I'm not sure a 3.5 is considered "taking a risk". I also got in EA and your stats sound better than mine were. I think a lot of school probably ignore supplement materials like tapes, since they simply don't have time to review stuff like that given the volume of applications they receive. I think the interview probably counts for less than most people think, but having a good essay that showcases your unique talents and capabilities will definitely help you out.

By r206 on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Deferred:

MIT (and most of the top schools) get a ton of applicants each year with 1600 SAT scores, straight A's, awards, tons of ec's, etc. While these accomplishments are certainly impressive, they only really show one side of an applicant (the academic index I mentioned earlier). Also, MIT wants to see diversity in the student body, and would you really want to go to college with an entire class of 1600 SAT/4.0 GPAers? I wouldn't. One of my most interesting classmates got a 2.0 GPA in high school, and went into the navy for a few years before coming to MIT. He's incredibly smart, but you wouldn't know it from looking at his academic record (although he did take a few classes while in the navy and do well to show he could cut it at MIT). So MIT picks the 4.0 students they think will help the overall composition of the class the most. Of course, the percentage of 4.0 students they take is going to be higher than the percentage of 3.0 students they take, but there are still a lot of people in that 4.0 group.

I think MIT does this more than some of the other colleges, but most of the Ivys to it to a certain extent.

I don't think national awards would really help you at all, you clearly already have a strong academic profile. Economics as an intended major doesn't hurt either, MIT has one of the best economics departments in the world and it helps you stand out from all the computer/engineering-types applying. I think it's probably more of a matter of your essays conveying what you'd contribute to the school (other than your academics). Did you discuss your extracurricular activities in detail and what they meant to you or did you simply list them?

By dang on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:29 pm: Edit

hey r206, what was your rank...i'm in the top 15% of a really competitive class...were you like top ten or something. I think my rank hurt me! thanks for helping so much.

By r206 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:43 am: Edit

My high school didn't rank. Since you're coming from a very competitive high school, I don't think top 15% is considered bad at all. It probably has more to do with the overall composition of the EA applicant pool this year, and MIT trying to put together a diverse class. You sound like you have a very good chance of being admitted regular (although it's hard to say without seeing your essays), although of course there are never any guarantees with the top schools.

Also, if for some reason you don't get in, if you really have your heart set on MIT you can probably transfer. It's generally easier to get in as a transfer, particularly when coming from other good colleges. That said, many people think they're going to transfer somewhere and then realize they are happy where they are after a year in college.

By dang-thanks on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 09:23 pm: Edit

hey thanks r206, you've boosted my self-confidence. I'll just wait to see what happens in April and apply to other great schools. I'll tell you the results in three months!

By ariel on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 02:08 am: Edit

I am an internetional student and I know that to get to MIT is extremely competitive for me... However, I have applied.

My stats are:
TOEFL 643
SAT1 790M 620V(I know it's not good but I am not a native English speaker)
SAT2 800MIIc 770 Physics
Rank 1 out of 110-130...i am not sure
Grade Average 10.0 (the maximum)
President of the students council
member of the national youth parliament
national awards in math, informatics and debate
partecipant in IMO and IOI and international debate tournament
I really dont know what my chances are

By ariel on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 01:42 am: Edit

Can anyone help me? And did i make a mistake by choosing topic A which was kind of plain, just part of my life, or should i better have made an abstract one? please tell me....:)

By dang on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 02:55 pm: Edit

what's IOI. If you participated in IMO, then you're amazing at math and definately have a really, really good shot at MIT. Most probably you're in!

By ariel on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 04:54 pm: Edit

IOI is the international olympiad in informatics,
dang thx so much for your opinion...:)

By dang on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 12:29 am: Edit

ariel, informatics is extremely hard. I have soooooo much respect for you now. I didn't even make it to ICho, which is less competitive than IMO. you're definately in!

By ariel on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:19 am: Edit

well, dang, i am from Albania which is a small country, just 3 million people. It is much easier to be on top in Albania, than China, US...etc. btw, what is ICHO?
I really wish you are right...:)

By kenny on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

ariel.

I think I know you from IOI.

I was in Finland and Korea.. for Yugoslavia

By dang on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

ICho is International Chemistry Olympiad.

By ariel on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

hi kenny,

I think I know you too...
have you applied to MIT?? best of luck if you have and also to you dang.

btw, kenny are you going to partecipate in IOI 2003 in Wisconsin?

By kenny on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Yes,
I had applied !
Best Luck to you !

I was in Finland, S. Korea, and I'm going to Wisconsin this year (to take the gold one , bronze and silver allready have :))))) ).

By bumppo on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

bump

By Sokkerdude05 on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Hello everyone...I know it is a little young to be thinking about college...but...i can't wait to get out of High School. I absolutely love technology and everything about it. I go to what is considered the best academic school in maryland where many graduating seniors go on to attend Ivy League schools. However...my drawback...from 7th grade to the middle of 9th grade i had depression and all of the issues that came along with it. This caused my grades to fall tremendously. I finished my freshman year with a 3.07, however...I have been on medication and I have regained my motivation and i have recieved two 4.0s the first two quarters of the year. These grades are of course in the honors classes and a few GTs, not all GTs(where I belong). My IQ is in the 98th percentile and I am finally starting to show it. Next year i will be taking a very hard cirriculum sacrificing one of my electives to excel myself into the GT track once again. I also got a 1330 on my PSATs (this was without a class which i will be taking over the summer)...mainly to improve my verbal score of 580...my math score of 750 will do...
My extracirriculars are great though. I do three sports a year: soccer, indoor track, and lacrosse...And i am in the Maryland Technology Honors Society...
Will admissions officers at MIT recognize that i went through some tough times? How much will my poor performance freshman year hurt me? What can i do to improve my chances of being accepted?

Thank you all for your time...

~Sokkerdude

By bump on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

bump

By R206 on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:59 am: Edit

Sokker, even if you didn't have other issues affecting performance, colleges (not just MIT) love seeing that level of improvement (3.07 to 4.0). In fact, many schools (particularly the top ones) would rather see someone who worked hard to overcome obstacles and triumphed than someone who just got continuous 4.0s (not that that would not be impressive as well). Of course, dropping back down to a 3.0 would hurt that argument, but if you can maintain a high level of achievement, even if not 100% perfect, I wouldn't worry about your GPA at all. When you explain your low GPA, don't act like a victim. Take responsibility for your actions and then explain how you've triumphed over your problems. I would also avoid mentioning your IQ, since admissions committees do not make decisions on the basis of IQ (nor does anyone, except for MENSA).

I know how you feel, I couldn't wait to get out of high school either. Hang it there, though, it'll be over before you know it.

By Sokkerdude05 on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Thank you so much R206 you have helped me greatly. Its amazing what one person can do to alter someones feelings. Thank you once again for restoring my sense of purpose and knowledge that there is still hope for getting into the college of my dreams....

~Sokkerdude

By R206 on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 04:33 am: Edit

Glad to help. I would encourage you, however, to not limit yourself to MIT. There are a number of schools with top-notch technology programs, and you should look into them and keep an open mind, as you might find one of them more suited to your tastes after exploring all of your options. Pick a few top choices rather than one, since nobody is guaranteed admission at any of the top schools. For computer science, UC Berkeley, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon are a few that come to mind. You're going to learn just as much at any of these schools, although they all of the own unique qualities and feel.

By yns on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Can some body help me in applying to MIT. Right now I am in my sophomore year. I took SAT in Jan and I got 800M+690V. 4.29 weighted GPA. I was chief-editor for yearbook in 8th grade. 9th, and 10th grade year book editor and expecting to be chief-editor in my junior year. STAR scores of 99%. Taking AP Biology, pre-calculus, and expecting to complete atleast 9 AP courses by the time I complete my high school.
Should I retake SATI or just concentrate on SAT IIs? Any help is greatly appreciated.

By Potter on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

concentrate on II's. Your SAT scores are amazing for a sophomore and obviously in MIT's range.

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:59 am: Edit

I'm international student and I want to know my chance... I choose the option for the standardized test for foreign student (only TOEFL and SAT II). I got 270 on TOEFL (app. 637 in paper-based) and SAT II : Math2C 800 Phy 790 Writing 670. My school's standard calculation for GPA is in 1-10 scale (my GPA is app. 8.50, and app. 9.07 for science and English only). However, getting above 8.50 is extremely difficult and getting 9.00 or above for GPA is almost impossible here in my country. I rank the first in class of 40 (6 class in total and #2 of 200s). (I believe in my essays.)

I got my fisrt Cum Laude predicate in the 9th year. I was the winner of some Math compettitons in my provice, a competer in National Math Olympiad 2002, winners of some table tennis and volleyball high school competitions (also a main team member for both sports). I joined musical instrument activity (fanfare, holding clarinet). I'm also the head of division (3d animation div.) in our Computer Club, who also responsible to teach (a tutor). This club stands as an independent club for "independent" computer learner (or maniac) and wins a lot of competitions.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance!

By Amilee (Amilee) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Do you think I have a good chance at MIT?

I'm currently a junior in AP Biology and AP American Government. My unweighted GPA is 3.94, and I am ranked 4th in a class of 511. On the SATI I scored a 1460: 740 V and 720 M. I got a 33 on the ACT. I plan on retaking both, because I know a higher math score on the SAT is necessary, and I had influenza when I took the ACT. I'll be taking the SATII's in June. Next year I will be taking AP English, AP Chemistry, AP Spanish, AP Physics, and Calculus II and III at a local college.

My extra-curriculars are good: I am a serious violinist and am concertmaster of one of the country's top youth orchestras, and have won several important state-wide competitions. I was also concertmaster of an all-state orchestra. At school I am in NHS and on science team, and have participated in math and science competitions. I am a good essay writer.

I will probably graduate around 15th in my class, because the calculus classes I'm taking are not given as weighted credits. Will admissions acknowledge my decision to take them anyhow, despite the effects on my ranking? Also, how important is this research everyone is talking about?

Thanks for your time, sorry for the length.

By Lobi (Lobi) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 06:47 am: Edit

Howdy?

I've been basically targetting MIT all my senior years.I want to study computer science. I'm taking my SAT I in May, and My sat II in June(Phy, IIc, and Writing), what do you suggest I do to boost my scores? I take Calculus and the tougher classes in school.

I also play the Piano, Debate, and the rest. Thanks.

By Lhs12213 (Lhs12213) on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Hello Lobi,
I didn't apply to MIT but I did follow the admissions process a lot. This is what I can tell you to raise your scores.

1. Get a book (or 2 or 3). Try amazon. It's simple and effective.
2. Read the book(s). More than once.
3. Practice with tests. There's nothing more effective than practicing with the tests - it's the same as taking them for real.
4. Know the tests. Read about them in the information published by the college board.
5. Take this advice and remember number 2 is the most important. The books are worthless unless you read them.
6. Don't stress about admissions or rejection (if it happens). It's not as bad as you think.

You can do whatever you set your mind to. I can't wait to see your post on here next year that you've been accepted.

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 06:04 am: Edit

dragonian, to tell you the truth, not good.
first of all, you are an international student so that is a HUGE minus. I am an international student with 1520 SAT 1 and 800, 800, 800, 800, 790 on my SAT2's. I've been a valedictorian from 9th grade out of about 400 students. I have won more than 40 international and national awards. but still, I was waitlisted. and it is a wellknown fact it is almost impossible to get off the waitlist at mit. plz don't get discouraged if you get rejected from MIT and apply to safety schools, as well. good luck

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 03:00 am: Edit

wath is my chance of geting into miT? I am from a small hi shool in NOrth Carolina. Here are mys statisits:

GPA: 3.2/4.0

SAT Verbal: 550
SAT MATH: 690
SAT MATHII: 710

i really want to go to mit because i heard its the best to study enginering, and want to be wone like my dad. I have always doen well in math and science. I also am good at chess and am the captain.

Thanks for your opiniun!

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Unless you are a native american, NONE. Not a chance in hell.

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

your being very rude sir. i don't think you should descourage me like that. YOu didn't even to offer any advise or anything.

i don't care if your the smartest guy in your country. My dad said "you never know", and he is right.

By Medprof (Medprof) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Genius65, I am sorry you feel slighted but you will see where Dream5 comes from if you go to damnsw.net and type in MIT for school to see the stats of some of the people who did not get in e.g. Crazybug. After that, if you want to send in your application money, that's fine. They say "you never know" with regard to lottery winners. In that case it is totally random. But for MIT admission, it is not random chance. The process is explained in the Education Council handbook which you can search for on their website. You get two scores ranged 1 to 5, one for academic record and one for other things (character, special talent, national/international award, under-represented minorities, etc). If you are Asian, your competition is fierce. The combined score determines your chance of admission. For North Carolina, you may need a lower score than if you are from the NE (total score of at least 9 probably is required there if I have to guess, maybe 10 for Asians). Your academic score is going to be in the lower end of the applicants. You have to ask yourself, what can I bring to MIT that they would need?

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Thank you medprof for giving me an overall assessment of my chances and giving me a better understanding of the hole process.

I will apply, because all i have to loose is the application fee, and everything to gain.

I was surprsed by the caliber of some of the students rejected. I AM asian, but I dont thnk it's fair that just because of that, I have less of a chance than some black guy. This is bull$hit.

Anwyay, thanks again for your great advise, you made me feel better. :)

By Crazybug (Crazybug) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Hey, this is crazybug mentioned by Medprof. Umm, my thoughts on MIT? Well, I applied, not really thinking I would get in, or even be considered. I guess it was my essay that made the difference, as my grades are nowhere near MIT caliber.Also, the research I did might have helped. As I remember, my interview was awesome. My interviewer was a physics major, so I part of the interview was me presenting some of my research and demonstrating how to use a second-order differential equation model to predict plasma patterns. She was impressed by that (she asked questions; I answered them to show that I wasn't just reciting BS and when I didnt know the answer, I said so), and after even showed me some new tricks with the equations. If my grades were better, I wouldn't have been waitlisted. I didn't really mind not being admitted, because I wasn't expecting it anyway. Face it, I'm an Asian male from the northeast going into EECS. My admission rate probably around 0.000000007% :).

I pursued the waitlist, but they were overenrolled this year. Oh well, no 60-hour-a-week problem sets for me. :)

By Medprof (Medprof) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Hey Crazybug, your test scores, EC and research experience impressed me. Are you going to Cornell or Columbia?

By Crazybug (Crazybug) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Thanks. I'm going to Columbia.

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

What is the average IQ of an MIT student? It's well known that iq and sat are highly corelated. that is, you can estimate with a high degree of accuracy an iq score from an sat score.

the average mit student SAt score is about 1450. Acording to the chart on http://members.shaw.ca/delajara/SATIQ.html

this would give the AVERAGE mit student an IQ of 141 (99.7 percentile). This is genius level. However, I dont think the average MIT student is THAT smart. The averge college graduate has an IQ of 115. I would put the average MIT student's iq closer to 125-130. 1000 SAT already puts you above 70th percentile. Of course, those who take the sat are more ilkely to be slightly smarter (they intend to go to college), but 70+ is too high, in my opiniun. Anyone know the real average? What are your IQs, those who went to MIT? :)

also interesting is http://members.shaw.ca/delajara/Occupations.html

By the way my SAT I was 1240, my IQ is 118, but the chart predicted 126.

If you want to take a FREE VALID IQ TEST (one that has been shown to corelate very highly with A real professional IQ test), go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/testthenation/

Also, to see if you might be a genius, go to http://www.mensa.org/workout.html and take the mensa test. I did not qualify, of course.

Thank you all for your attention. please post your sat and iq scores for me to see if the chart is really accurate.

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Actually, there's NO WAY the average mit student's iq can be even NEAR 140. According to the link on occupations and iq's, not even the brightest physicans and college profesors have an iq that hi!!

By Crazybug (Crazybug) on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

It is certainly possible to have an IQ near 140. When I joined Mensa, I tested in at 145. To be eligible to join Mensa, you need a 140, which is the 98th percentile.

I have nowhere near the intelligence of a professor or a physician.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

On that Brit one i got 138! I didn't see the score correctly so i told my friend i got 112, eh, whatever, doesn't matter to me (but he thinks i'm an idiot now, lol). 3 questions wrong and i get a 138! OMG, there must be something wrong with that one. LOL, i shoulda put on my glasses. Is that British one supposed to be harder than the Mensa one? Crazybug, can you do that Brit one and tell me what you get? Maybe through your score i can see how hard that Brit one is compared to more 145 from a MORE legit test.

I'm talking about the "http://www.bbc.co.uk/testthenation/" one.

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 07:53 am: Edit

The test is meant for a British population. There are s few questions that you may not get, based on the language diference between american and British English.

For example one of the anagrams unscrambled, was aeroplane. Unless your familar with this spelling, you cannot get this one right.

I had one problem with a math question. It basically went like this: if it costs 16 p to run a 1000 Watt bulb for one hour, how much would it cost to run a 100 Watt bulb for two hours. The correct answer they gave was 3.2. They assume that there is a linear relationship between the number of Watts and the cost. I'm not sure this is true in real life. In any case, anyone who doubted the linear relationship would have had to choose that answer, as it was the only logical choice.

By Crazybug (Crazybug) on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I got a 135 on the British one. I made a few dumb mistakes with the over-eager clickage. :)

The Mensa one is significantly harder. As I remember, you were read a passage at the beginning of the test. Two hours later (after the other sections of the test), you had to answer detailed questions about it (like what color was the man's pants), etc.

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

There will be an American version of "Test the Nation" on Fox TV on June 9 at 8:00pm ET.

For more details: http://testonfox.com/

Since this will be intended for AMERICAN audiences, we will have no more excuses! I will post my score after I take the test. My prediction is 120.

Crazybug, 135 still puts you in the "VERY SUPERIOR" category, I think top 1%. :)

By Papalemming (Papalemming) on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:33 pm: Edit

I am going to the the IChO on July. Also the Iberoamerican Chemistry Olympiad on October.

Gold medallist in my country's chemistry olympiad, silver medallist in the math olympiad.

I'm from Venezuela.

You can find more information about me in this thread: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/757/12909.html

Do I have a chance at MIT?

By Heartwork (Heartwork) on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Anyone in here with an IQ of 160-165?

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Was it me or was that American version of Test the Nation a joke? It's nowhere near as hard as the British one. People i know who got 110 on the Brit one got 138 on the American one!

They also calculated the mean wrong! LOL... The average in America seems to be 110 or something, which it is not! The host said the average American score on those tests were from 90-110. WRONG. From their internet results, no group landed under 110!

Heartwork,

I got 165 on a few IQ test i did in school. I have no idea how valid they are. But on the forum of that Brit version of TEST THE NATION, it says you should add on 12-15 points on the score you have since it's harder than normal. I got 138 on the Brit one, so i should be around 150 on most other tests. My score usually fluctuates between 140-170.

But why do you care?

By Heartwork (Heartwork) on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

I was just curious, since the person I've met with the highest verifiably tested IQ (as in by a licensed psychiatrist) was about 160 or 165. He's the most intelligent person I've come into contact with and I just wanted to see if anyone else actually had results that high.

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I got exactly what I predicted on that Test the Nation IQ test - 120.

Remember, Tuannugyen, the internet users are not reflectie of the average person. They are probably a bit smarter than average, as they are more likely to be college-educated.

James Woods is well-known for his incredibly high iq of 180. He got an almost perfect SAT score (when it was MUCH harder to get above 1500 than now), and attended MIT.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE AVERAGE NOBEL PRIZE WINNER TO HAVE AN IQ OF ONLY 120?????????? This is that the show claimed! I know Richard Feynman, the Physics Nobel prize winner had only an IQ of 124, and Crick (DNA discoverer) had an IQ of only 115. But come on!! This means that 5% of the entire population can win Nobel prizes! LOL! They clearly got their facts wrong. I don't think there is a comprehensive study on the average IQ of nobel prize winners.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

"HOW IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE AVERAGE NOBEL PRIZE WINNER TO HAVE AN IQ OF ONLY 120?????????? ...This means that 5% of the entire population can win Nobel prizes! LOL!"

I think it means that IQ tests do not measure the kind of intelligence it takes to make a scientific breakthrough worthy of a Nobel. Thomas Edison and Einstein were both considered mentally defective by their teachers.

By Heartwork (Heartwork) on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

The average Nobel Prize winner typically has an IQ in the vicinity of 155 to 165, or a rarity of 1 in 3406, to 1 in 41174. By the way, are you sure James Woods' IQ is 180, this is an enormously high score, with only about 1723 people on the planet statistically scoring this high or higher. Also ito doesn't correspond to his SAT score of 1579 (800v & 779m), which is approximately equivalent to a score of 166 (still an extremely impressive 1 in 53917). Just as an aside, an IQ of 180 (1 in 3483046) would actually correspond with an SAT score of 1714 (hahaha) before the recentering. By the way, my friend whose IQ was 160 - 165, scored a 1540 (800m & 740v) on his SAT before the recentering, corresponding to an IQ of 162, or 1 in 18750. He attended MIT and is nearly finished with his thesis for his doctorate in some kind of nuclear physics.

By Heartwork (Heartwork) on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Here's some trivia for you guys and girls: Who is considered to be the absolute apex of human intelligence, (i.e. equals or exceeds every other known genius or prodigy in all quantifiable areas) and what is his/her roughly estimated IQ score, since he/she was never actually tested, and probably couldn't have been, assuming he/she would have submitted to one?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 01:43 am: Edit

The guy or gal who thought of carrying around fire as a renewable heat/light source would have to crack the top umpteen hundred.

GUNS, GERMS, AND STEEL made a interesting argument for Southeast Asian aborigines as a group.

My sentimental favorite would be DaVinci.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 03:34 am: Edit

Thedad,

Um, germs... AND guns?

Can you explain that statement in more detail?

Heartwork,

Are you talking about the person who's name has become synonymous with "genius"? (for this i think it's einstien; i've seen an estimated 160 for this man's IQ) Or the person with the highest IQ score in recorded history? (i don't remember who it is, but if you made a multiple choice answer out of it i'll know who it is, i've seen this name before. This person's estimated IQ used to be 230, but modern day scientists determined that this value is way inaccurate and now estimate it to be 190, which is still the highest in recorded history if you also fix up some of the overestimated scores of the other geniuses)

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 08:30 am: Edit

Heartwork, I know who you're talking about: Willliam James Sidis. Most people have probably never even heard of this super-genius, but he is without doubt the most intelligent person EVER, with an estimated IQ of about 300!! Unfortunately, he squandered his talent by choosing to work as a clerk, and was ridiculed by the media and public.

Did you know:

1)He passed the MIT entrance exams at 8 years of age???

2)Surpassed his father (a math whiz) at 8?

3)Could learn an ENTIRE language in one day, and knew all the languages of the world fluently (200+)???

4)Gave at lecture at Harvard at 11 on 4-dimensional bodies.

Here is a summary of his unbelievable raw mental power(http://www.quantonics.com/The_Prodigy_Review.html):

William James Sidis is arguably the brightest human who ever existed on our planet Earth.

He was born of parents Boris and Sarah Sidis, emigrant Jews who escaped anti-Semitic Russian pogroms and came to America at the end of the 19th century. William James Sidis ('Billy') boggled minds of normal intellectuals and theoreticians. He was born on April Fool's Day in 1898. He became a strange combination of an April Fool and a 20th century genius vastly beyond common sentient discernment.

Boris and Sarah met each other some time after they entered the USA. Boris arrived in 1886 at age 19, and Sarah arrived a year later at age 13. Boris arrived with a few hundred dollars which afforded him opportunity to find a decent place to stay and to spend several months learning English and rudimentary American customs. Sarah arrived broke and had to borrow a minimum $20 needed for entry, which she promptly returned having passed immigration officials.

Sarah needed Boris to tutor her. That is how they met. Unknown to her, he fell in love at first sight, but delayed disclosure to a more opportune time.

Both Boris and Sarah became well educated. He with Ph.D's and M.D., and she with M.D. His first Ph.D. was basically settled upon him by Harvard to entice him to do their bidding. Boris and his family were so bright that they could learn and understand difficult, complex intellectual concepts at a rate greater than ten times as quickly as typical advanced academics. Boris claimed to have a technique which allowed him access to an energy source. He taught Sarah, then William how to access and manage this source of abundant energy.

In her first three chapters of The Prodigy, Amy Wallace belies details and essence of William James Sidis' (Billy's) persona. Your reviewer decided to capture this as partial lists which allow you reader to quickly capture essence of Billy as a Homo sapiens (some might argue he is a precursor of our successors Neo sapiens).

Here is a partial list of William James Sidis' extraordinary capabilities and accomplishments:

Given IQ is a purely anthropocentric means of assessing intelligence, Sidis' IQ is crudely estimated at 250-300.
Infant Billy listened to Greek myths read to him by Sarah as bedtime stories.
Started feeding himself with a spoon at eight months (after two months of trial and error).
Cajoled by Boris, Billy learned to pronounce alphabetic syllables from blocks hanging in his crib.
At six months, Billy said, "Door." A couple months later he told Mom he liked things, doors and people, that move.
At seven months he pointed to Earth's moon and called it, "moon." He wanted a 'moon' of his own.
Mastered higher mathematics and planetary revolutions by age 11.
Learned to spell efficiently by one year old.
Started reading The New York Times at 18 months.
Started typing at three. Used his high chair to reach a typewriter. First composed letter was an order for toys from Macy's.
Read Caesar's Gallic Wars, in Latin (self-taught), as a birthday present to his Father in Billy's fourth year.
Learned Greek alphabet and read Homer in Greek in his fourth year.
Learned Aristotelian logic in his sixth year.
At six, Billy learned Russian, French, German, and Hebrew, and soon after, Turkish and Armenian.
Calculated mentally a day any date in history would fall at age six. Absolutely fascinated by calendars.
Learned Gray's Anatomy at six. Could pass a student medical examination.
Billy started grammar school at six, in 3 days 3rd grade, graduated grammar school in 7 months.
At age 8, Billy surpassed his father (a genius) in mathematics.
Corrected E. V. Huntington's mathematics text galleys at age of eight.
Total recall of everything he read.
Wrote four books between ages of four and eight. Two on anatomy and astronomy, lost.
Passed Harvard Medical School anatomy exam at age seven.
Passed MIT entrance exam at age eight.
Intellect surpassed best secondary school teachers.
At age 10, in one evening, corrected Harvard logic professor Josiah Royce's book manuscript: citing, "wrong paragraphs."
Attempted to enroll in Harvard at nine.
In 1909, became youngest student to ever enroll at Harvard at age 11.
In 1910, at age 11, lectured Harvard Mathematical Club on 'Four-Dimensional Bodies.'
Billy graduated from Harvard, cum laude, on June 24, 1914, at age 16.
Billy entered Harvard Law School in 1916.
Billy could learn a whole language in one day!
Billy knew all the languages (approximately 200) of the world, and could translate among them instantly!

By the way, the smartest person in the world today is Marilyn Vos Savant(IQ of 228 or so). She solved the notorius 3-doors problem (http://www.mjyoung.net/misc/doors.htm) She is a super-genius!! She knows everything (and is better at Math than some of the math professors she humilated)!!

By the way Gary Kasparov, world chess champion, and super-genius has an iq of 180 also.

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 12:33 pm: Edit

Speechless.

Well, I don't believe Marilyn Vos Savant is the smartest person. I think she claimed the title herself, no?

By Heartwork (Heartwork) on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Genius65, you gave the answer that I was looking for. If you find Sidis to be interesting, you should read "The Prodigy" by Amy Wallace. It's a fascinating read, though a little difficult to follow at points (namely when it describes in detail one of Sidis' few publications). Also, don't put too much stock in Ms. Savant's IQ score (which was measured as a child and is now lower, using the Flynn Effect, and estimated at 185). I wouldn't wager too much on her being the smartest on the planet (especially with the likes of Bobby Fischer (187), Philip Emeagwali (196), and Kim Ung-Yong (200) still out there). Other high scorers are supposedly da Vinci (estimated 220), Goethe (210), Leibnitz (205), Swedenborg (205), Mill (200), Pascal (195), and Newton (190).

By Openthought (Openthought) on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

If I'm competitive, please answer my other questions about MIT.

Stats: 760 V (will this help or hurt me at MIT?)
740 M
Sat IIs: Biology 800, (the next three are projected) U.S. History 800, Math IIc 780-800, chemistry 700-740

Classes: everyone has all honors but,
10th AP Bio 5, AP Euro 5
11th (projected) AP US 5, AP Calc AB 5, AP Chem 4-5
12th AP English, AP US Gov, AP Comp. Gov, AP Computer Science, AP Statistics, Calc 3 at local college, possibly AP Spanish

ECs: captain Academic Competition Team, captain Debate (have a few district titles, regional recognition, would've won states if partner wasn't sick),Vice president Youth in Gov't, VP of Model UN, Duke Moot Court (3rd place team in International competition, 3rd best speaker as well), Ecology club, won school-wide election to be Vice President of SCA, Cross country, Indoor track, Swimming, school winner for 2nd year Chemistry Olympiad exam, Math team (3-person team won 1st at statewide invitiational, recognized for performance on Virginia Math League, 3rd highest for school on AMC, 2nd highest for school on AIME [3 points higher then school winner of AMC]), several summer programs, Governor's school for Math, Science, and Technology, worked a job for freshman and part of sophomore year (not a whole lot of ECs during these years), engaged in research that has been presented at various conferences including a Biotechnology Symposium at Virginia Tech.

I'm passionate about theoretical physics and I would love to go to MIT; however, my mathematical thought process is one that is deeper and slower, so my math SATs aren't yet perfect. Next year I plan to retake and hope to ace them. The other problem is that a great deal of my acheivements are related to the humanities. The reason for this is that other then math team and ecology club my high school has minimal science and math ECs. Will this hurt my chances at MIT? I am also passionate about philosophy and I have written hundreds of pages of unpublished, independent, yet serious philosophical work. I would like to continue this work, yet I'm not sure whether or not I should just devote my attention to math and physics. Could my interest and work in philosophy be used to distinguish myself as an applicant?

By Openthought (Openthought) on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

I should probably say that I've got some great reccomendations, I'm (in the opinion of my teachers and peers) an exceptional essayist, and I have a good shot at valedictorian (class of 260). Thanks again.

By Confused2007 (Confused2007) on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

I'm sure you have a great chance of being admitted, but like any school of equal caliber its hard to judge whether you'll be admitted or not. From what I know, MIT places great emphasis on the interview. My interview was about 3 hours long. Just be yourself and give it your best shot, after that just wait and see. By the way, I'm a member of MIT's class of 2007.

By Openthought (Openthought) on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

Confused2007-Thank you for the response, and congrats on getting into MIT. I figured that the interview would be very important. I want to be myself during the interview, but I'm curious as to what general areas the interview covered. By the way, when and how do I contact the person that will conduct the interview?
Thanks again

By Confused2007 (Confused2007) on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

If you're on MIT's mailing list then they'll send you an application and contact information on your interviewer. I had a very informal interview, but since you'll probably have a different interviewer I can't determine what will be asked, but my advice is to keep the conversation going and don't let your interviewer do all the talking. Ask a lot of qestions and bring up topics of your interest!

By Iloveschool95 (Iloveschool95) on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Since you guys are talking about IQ's, I'lll do a little bragging and post mine: 168! lol, I don't usually talk about it though.

By Genius65 (Genius65) on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

wow, that's really high. school must be easy for you. going to mit?

By Lela (Lela) on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

Openthought ~

Although I won't deny the importance of an interview, I will say that I was admitted this year without one. In general, your ECs/honors look good, but I think you should definitely highlight your research experience (send them an abstract or paper) especially if it was individual research. Otherwise, I think the philosophy aspect will only add to your app. In fact, think about incorporating a philosophical topic into an essay question (I did that). Basically, don't worry about gimmicks and don't worry about pulling up scores by a percentage point. Do apply early and remember that being yourself is really the best possible credential.

By Iloveschool95 (Iloveschool95) on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 10:18 am: Edit

yeah it is definitely not very hard. Not sure where I want to go next year: possibly stanford though.

By Confused2007 (Confused2007) on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

I think Lela's absolutely right. I actually made an entire thesis to send to all the colleges i applied to since I did research for over 3 years and my essay was based on ayn rand's philosophy of objectivism.

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Don't bore the adcoms to death please!!! Just kidding, but I wouldn't want to read papers after papers.

By Shortii22 (Shortii22) on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 10:33 am: Edit

Can anyone tell me how my chances are/how to help my scores in regards to MIT. I love science and engineering so much, and I do really well in school (which sadly my scores DONT reflect) SAT I have 660 in math, and 740 in english, SAT II I have 710 in physics, 680 in Math IC and 660 in writing. I honestly DONT know how I can score so low especially in math, Im in ap calculus and im getting all grades above 95. I just completed ap chem and ap physics with grades in the A/A+ range, I took 4 ap's this year, and Im taking 5 next year including physics c and biology. Im ranked 9 in a class of 1084. I dance, im in the honor society, and french honor society, also in Webslingers (make webpages and do computer stuff), french club, math team, leadership, volunteer at child care and at the hospital, yearbook, and im in student government. Does anyone have any ideas how my chances are, or what I can do to help my scores/do things MIT would like outside of school?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 11:15 am: Edit

"I honestly DONT know how I can score so low especially in math, Im in ap calculus"

That's your reason, right there. The 1c exam only covers through algebra & geometry. If you are in calc now, you're probably pretty rusty at stuff you had 2 or 3 years ago. The best time to take the 1c exam is right after you finish algebra II. and actually, most of the algebra on it comes from alg. I)

The best thing at this point would be for you to take the math 2c exam. Many people who are advanced in math find that its easier to get a good score on the 2c than on the 1c.

By Shortii22 (Shortii22) on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 11:20 am: Edit

Thanks, Ill have to look that exam over and try IIC next year.

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 12:50 am: Edit

I was accepted at MIT, and my interview was about 1 1/2 hours long. It was somewhat informal; we sat at my interviewer's kitchen table and just had a conversation. She told me about her MIT experiences, asked me questions regarding my resume (which I brought to the interview), and asked me if I had any questions/concerns about MIT. I was honest and I didn't pretend that I loved the school and was dying to go there; I asked her about one of MIT's weaknesses (the humanities). Hope this helps!

By Openthought (Openthought) on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 11:39 am: Edit

Well, I got my SAT II'S back:
From Fall
Biology (molecular) - 800

From June
U.S. History - 800
Math IIC - 790 (The guy called time 3 minutes early, this was verifyied by a couple of other people keeping time using a stopwatch)
Chemistry - 750 (my weakest subject)

I know some Ivies use the Academic Index formula, but how does MIT incorporate SAT II's into admission decisions? Thanks again!

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Of course MIT looks at SAT II scores. Otherwise they won't ask for them. =))

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

I know they ask for 3 SAT II scores:

1. Math IC or IIC
2. A science subject (Chem/Bio/Physics)
3. Writing or History

By Openthought (Openthought) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:55 am: Edit

What I would really like to know is how it is weighed. I already know that it is weighed, but my questions was: "In what way are SAT IIs used?"

Does anyone know rank of importance of standardized test scores in the whole admission process? If so, then how do the subsets of SAT Is and SAT IIs rank?

I heard MIT uses a 1-5 point system with each section on the SAT Is and then the SAT IIs, along with assigning point values to other areas, such as extracirriculars, class rank/GPA, etc. I have also heard that there are 6 areas in which 1-5 points are awarded. Does anyone know if this statement has validity to it?

Thanks

By Akiba (Akiba) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 04:40 am: Edit

I would like to know what my chances are at getting into MIT.

SAT: 1600
SAT II's:
Biology: 740
US History: 780
Math IIC: 800

GPA: 3.86 nonaugmented, 4.18 augmented. I dont like english teachers, and it hurts.

AP's: 5's on Calc AB, European History, Biology, Micro/Macro Economics, and US History. I got a 4 on Engligh Lang, and I took the class but not the test for Chemistry. I'm taking 10 tests my senior year (taking the classes for 7 of them), and I'm expecting 5's on most.

Essay: Stellar. I'm an excellent essay writer (and I have the awards to prove it :)), and I'm confident that I can deliver a worthy essay.

Interview: :) I love interviews.

Reccomendations: My counselor quit her job this year, so I might be a little lacking in that area. I was one of her favorite students and she has offered to do the counselor reccomendation part... I'm wondering if it's legal :). If it is, then I'm set for reccomendations, my math teacher is an MIT alum.

I did well on the AMC's. Cant remember my score, I think it was maybe 112. I was never told my score on the AIME, but I'm sure it was horrible. I doubt I got more than 4 questions right.

EC:
Chess: I won the grade-level state chess championships 4 years in a row, but I'm unsure how to phrase things because I quit playing chess my sophmore year. I have, however, beaten all of the Stanford chess team at one point or another :).

Academic Decathlon: I'm a 3-year veteran, team captain and the youngest member of my school's team. Our team placed 3rd in the CA state championships a couple years ago (and with a little luck, maybe Edison can go to nationals this year :)) 90% of my EC effort goes into AD.

Sports: 1 year JV, 1 year varsity Wrestling, Water Polo, and Swim. I'm probably not going to do sports this year, as I need more time for studying.

Theatre: Played a couple lead roles, but mostly supporting/minor roles. Considering doing some acting at MIT.

Model United Nations: Won a couple regional awards, going on my fourth year of MUN debate.

Internship: I'm an intern for a state senator, and I love politics (writing letters to the newspaper, minor stuff like that).

Lots of Summer programs.

I'm a very focused person. I want to be a nuclear engineer and go into research for Generation IV reactors. MIT is participating in research on one of the 6 reactor designs, the Supercritical-water cooled reactor, research I'd love to help out on. I've been told that being focused is a good thing, maybe my love of Gen IV reactor research is something I should emphasize?

Please Respond!

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Openthought: I was accepted at MIT, and these are my test scores...

SAT I Math: 800
SAT I Verbal: 770
SAT II Writing: 800
SAT II Math IIC: 800
SAT II Chemistry: 650 (blech...I hate science)
Calculus AB (junior year): 5

Take that for what it's worth...
I was second in a class of 396; I took the hardest classes offered. My ECs were okay; I'm particularly proud of my essays. :-)

It was stated in the acceptance letter that applicants are moved through a five stage evaluation process and that the ones who make it through all five stages are admitted.

I hope that helps...

By Openthought (Openthought) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 08:26 am: Edit

Thanks Piku714!

I plan on retaking SAT Is again and hope to jump from 1500 to about 1560, but right now I'm focusing on my essays. I've decided not to look at any of your standard college essay books and instead I am going to reason for myself the best way to capture myself on paper. My SAT IIs are alright: US History-800, Biology M-800, Math IIC-790, Chem-750.

Akiba:

How many AP classes does your school offer? I will have taken all of my schools AP offerings and a class or two at local universities but that will only put me at about 11 AP/college classes for my entire high school career (I have only taken 5 AP exams to date - all 5's). You must have a large school with a lot of club and course offerings (It sucks that I live in a small somewhat isolated city). What do you do in Academic Decathalon?

I'd say your chances are fantastic. What other schools are you looking at and if any, what school are you applying early to? I just hope that after kids like you are in, there's a spot left for me.

By Binks (Binks) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Wow openthought. I think you have great scores, and by complaining about 11 ap/college classes, that's just picking hair's.

As long as you present yourself sincerely, I think you'ld have a great shot at MIT.

By Openthought (Openthought) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Thanks Blinks! It is always good to hear positive support on these boards. I think I'm in the mindset to focus on my classes and my duties and then fill out my applications accordingly. I don't think I'm going to obsess over the process.

Where have you gone/plan on applying to college?

By Binks (Binks) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 01:42 am: Edit

Oh, I'm at MIT orientation right now. :) Good luck on your app!

By Openthought (Openthought) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:20 am: Edit

Congrats! You comments are very encouraging. Hopefully I'll be in your shoes next year.
Good luck at MIT!!

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Lol, I'm definately African American...I'm black, and so are my parents. I'm semi-bilingual in Yoruba (which my parents are fluent in), and fluent in English.

Good luck to you as well, and congrats on your SAT II scores...those are top notch :^)

By Akiba (Akiba) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Sorry I havent been able to respond in a while, my computer died (euthanized is a more appropriate word).

- Openthought

My school offers a lot of AP classes, all the sciences and maths, and most of the others. We were 89th on the US and World top 1000 high schools one year, I dont know what we are this year.

Regardless, not all the tests require you to take a class. If you can, find a teacher who knows a little bit about the subject and take the test as an independent study topic. There are lots of good books out there as well.

Academic Decathlon (www.usad.org), is a ten event competition. Art, Economics, Essay, Interview, Language/Literature, Math, Music, Science, Social Science, and Speech. Each year has a "theme" to the curriculum, this year's theme is "America; The Growth of a Nation". Art focuses on early American/Native American art, econ focuses on major economic events up to about 1812, Lang/Lit is "Death Comes for the Archbishop" by Willa Cather and a smattering of early American poets, Math is focused on differential calculus, Music focused on American classical music up to about 1930, Science is Botany, and Social Science is the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Interview is 7 minutes, questions based on a short resume that the decathlete provides prior to the competition.

Speech consists of a 4 minute prepared speech and a 2 minute impromptu speech.

The essay event offers two prompts, one from social science and the other from lang/lit.

A team has up to 9 people, but only 6 of them will count in the team score.

It's a pretty fun competition. My school wins regionals without a fight each year, but then we have to face LA Unified School District, which usually gets to send about 8 teams to state each year. LA is the birthplace of AD, and the only other county to win state has been Ventura County (Moorpark High School rocks!)

AD is great because it prepares you for AP subjects. AD veterans have gone on to get 5's on micro/macro economics, english language, art history, music theory, and even some sciences and maths (depending on what the focus is on), with only minimal review. I highly reccomend it to students looking for a good EC activity.

By Openthought (Openthought) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Ah, Virginia doesn't seem to be listed on the USAD webpage as a participating state, sigh...Anyways, thanks for the info. Maybe I can get my school/state involved in the competition.

By Munik (Munik) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 04:19 am: Edit

I am student from Nepal.
I am giving SAT II math IIC and Physics in october. My score at Barrons practice test is 800 in Math2c(48/50 average)and 800 in physics (75/75)and MIT needs only SAT2 and TOEFL for admission to interantional students whose native language is not english and my native language is Nepali.

I had a distinction in my high school and ranked 1st in high school. I had also created national and international record in cricket from my country. I play cricket from Nepal national side. Heres my cricket record;

Youngest Player ever to represent Senior National Team.
First and youngest Nepalese player to score a century in an international tournament for Nepal National team
Selected for ICC U-17 Asia camp, Karachi, 2001.

I was involved in cricket for 4 hours per day for practice only.
I am not sure what my chances because i dont know how mit looks at stundent with atheletical achievement
and my high school dont have College Board 6 digit no.
Also i dont know mit would be familiar with out grading system and course contents at high school.
IS A level compulsary for international students applying at MIT.

Thank you,

Your sincerely,
VERY to the power infinity INTERESTED STUDENT AT MIT.

By B2yx (B2yx) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Hello,i am a Student from Bulgaria and i would like to apply to MIT.Do you think that a 260 TOEFL is enough for MIT or should i take the test again.I study at the german language school ,which is one of top 5 schools in my country.

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

I believe that MIT only requires a minimum score of 237 CBT, which is incredibly low even for an engineering college. I guess they are paying more attention to the SAT II scores, which should be either Math IC/IIC and a science subject.

By B2yx (B2yx) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Thanks Chenfei!:)

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Hello. I am a student from Canada. I am one of the 20 students selected for the national physics and computer selection camp. The camp is in May (way after the International applications have been reviewd) but I feel that I have a great chance of making the both the national physics and computer team and that I will be able to compete in IPHO (International Physics Olympia) and IOI (International Olympia in Informatics) in august 2004. Do you think it's possible for the admission committee to review my application after May 2004 or is my effort to make the IPHO and IOI team is going to vain ?

By Toporkov (Toporkov) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 02:51 am: Edit

I'm wondering about my chances too, I don't think I have received any academic honors in high school. I have about a 3.5GPA, haven't taken the SATs yet. I have a lot of work experience, working for a wristband company as an "IT Professional" in 10th grade, and various webmaster/developer per-job type deals since then. I'm afraid of leaving the academic honors section blank (although I participated in a computer science competition, I don't know if that would count). I've taken AP computer science, world history, american history, english language, and this year I am taking AP physics, chemistry, calculus, and english literature. I was born and lived half of my life in Ukraine (tri-lingual), living not too far from Chernobyl when the accident occured, I have been hoping that being foreign would give me some sort of advantage when applying to college. Now that it comes down to it, I'm having mixed feelings, and wondering if I should even bother applying to MIT. MIT and Stanford are my top choices for colleges... Should I bother?

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Soroshv, I think you have a good chance... but why the heck did they decide the teams now? (USA Computing Olympiad decides who goes to the training camp in April )

By Entropy (Entropy) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

There are not just 200 languages in the world. Which ones are you counting? I guess we are excluding Africa then. There are an estimated 900 languages in the Niger-Congo language family of Africa alone!

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

but if only 100 ppl speak it, it doesnt really count...

By Entropy (Entropy) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

No, if Europeans don't speak it, I guess it doesn't count. This society is truly eurocentric, which is understandable because most of the people in this country are of European descent or ancestry. There are thousands of languages that Africans speak to this day. To say a man speaks 200 languages ("all the languages in the world") in any time in history is false. And just because only a few people speak it, doesn't take away the fact that it's still a language!

By Isaac (Isaac) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

Btw does anyone know anything about the ATS for Transcript?
I sent all the material except the summary and recommendation (the counselor didnt do it cuz she's french..long story...).
Everything is processed except the transcript, could it be because of the summary?
Thx guys
International student applying for 08

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Soroushv,
I am Canadian too. The national computer camp has NOT been decided. I do not know how you know ur getting in. Maybe you made it last year but assume you will again this year?
Anyhow, the CCC is next week, goood luck!

Btw, did u do POPTOR? I'm doing it but no chance of making the IPhO though.

Which city r u in? I'm in Ontario. Good lucks!!

peace

By Tout (Tout) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Hey Rui, I'm doing POPTOR. How have your scores been so far? Hehe... scouting out my competition. But yeah, I'm also wondering how Soroush knows already about the physics olympiad selection... that usually comes in the middle of May.

But you know what... if someone doesn't get accepted into the top colleges, and yet ends up making an olympiad team, they can always apply again the next year right? =)

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

hey, how did u know my name?? anyhow, stop posting it!! lol, use my screen name plz...

I dont have high hopes for physics olympiad, i didnt do the POPTOR for 2 months now due to heavy workload of the applications, basketball and other contests...

I DO have high hopes for the programming one, i'm pretty much out for math too, not good enough as it seems :(

this sux, if I end up not making any team, i'd be pissed, lol

so tout, email me, i'm assuming u know my email too? *stalker* :P

peace

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Are you Peacemakeriv or Emperoriv? If you two are the same, why don't you be the same screenname?

Yeah.

:-)

BTW, I think you should get into schools just fine. I really think you're a neat guy who's accomplished a lot. I have a lot of respect for people who do ISEF and the like, and plus you're Manchurian and play b-ball. Science and basketball. Two things I admire, though I lack in the latter department.

By Tout (Tout) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Hey, I don't know your email, unless it is the one in your profile. I know your name because I remember your old user account, Peacemakeriv... so no, I'm not a stalker =)... no need to stalk, I have my own priorities.

Well, I wish you all the best for the CCC. It is a shame that you have neglected to submit the POPTOR problem sets, you probably would have had a decent chance at making at least the training camp. Ah well, at least I can be optimistic and assume that many other people don't have enough time for the problem sets either - in that case, I have light competition!!

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 03:04 am: Edit

Tout:
haha, I and a friend of mine did them all last year, but I didnt do too good (only 2 good sets, the rest blew). I know noone from my school did them. I havent done the math correspondense for 4 months now, the guy emailed me 3 times and I never bothered to do it anymore, it takes so much time and brain...

Memememe:
thx for the kind comments! I am really hoping i'll get into at least one of the 4 Universities in the US, but if not, I'll stay here in Canada. I just got accepted by U of Western Ontario. I know it's an easy school to get in, but I am still happy for my first acceptance! =)

O, BTW, I just had my playoff game today, and we lost *cries* It was the stupidest game... I cannt begin to describe it... so my bball season is done, and I can actually get time to finish up my ISEF project.

Last thing, peacemakeriv=emperoriv, somehow my other account was disabled... dont know what I did tho...

peace

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Emperoriv :

I was selected for the physics camp last year and I think I am going to be selected this year as well (in my last three POPTOR problem sets I got 45,47,50!). I was also invited to the second stage of the CCC but didn't make the cut for IOI . Anyways, Good luck on the CCC tommorow. Hope to see you at the second stage and/or at the physics camp.

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Is it true that only 8 students from Canada are admitted each year to MIT

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

pretty much yeah, and 2 of them were from my school last yr! YAY! =)

Soroushy:
I will probably make the second stage on CCC, I got 74 on junior last year cuz i chickened out and didnt do the senior. If i had, i would've made it =(

I havent done turing all year cuz I took G12 comp sci last yr, but I am reviewing right now.... except I'm typing, wait...ok....ttyls....

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

What is the name of your high school ? Which city ?

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

from windsor? a public school? Jack went to the second stage last year from my school.

Another person made it but went to ARML with us instead cuz he was American citizent and cannt make the IOI anyway.

I think u know my school if ur in the math circle, or the comp sci circle...

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

I got to Woburn C.I.

I think I know your school.
were you invited to the university of waterloo math seminar ? If so then we probably know each other

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

nope, and I am very mad about it! long story...

hey, do u do the DWright? I saw ur school on the rankings alot.

How did u do on the CCC today? I got 1,2,3 and 5. I spent an hour changing everything from file input into keyboard input. I HATE how they changed the rules.

It turned out 4 was quite easy, so I didnt have to change the input, I would've gotten alot better.

O wells, tell me how u did. peace

By Tout (Tout) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Soroush, I could be wrong, but to my knowledge none of the National Olympiad Finals participants for physics came from Woburn.

Your POPTOR scores are quite amazing though - you have a very good chance of making it to the IPhO with those scores.

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

Trout :

Than you. I did work really hard on them . Oh and you are right , I don't think any of the olympiad Finals Praticipants came Woburn. I used to go to GLEBE COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE last year but we moved to Markham Rd in August so I had to change my school. I go to Woburn now.

Emperoriv :

I think by DWright you mean DWITE , right ? If so then yes , I have competed in every DWITE competition since grade 10. We actually helped the students and staff at AB. Lucas Secondary School ( where DWITE server is located) to setup their servers.
I think I did well in the CCC. I begged my teacher to judge my programs right after the competition , it turns out I got perfect (15/15) on questions 1,2,3 . 9/15 (my algorithm was extremly inefficient. For 2 of the data sets , it took more 1 min so my teacher gave me 0) for question 4 and 12/15 (Damn Stack Overflow!!) for question 5 for a total of 66/75. I think I am going to qualify for the second stage.
I am interested to find out what you got. I hope to see you at the second stage (and MIT maybe :) )

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

Trout , do you by any chance know me ?

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

Tout :
Don't you go to Don Mills Collegiate Institute ?
Did you do the York Science and Engineering Olympics ?

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

Oh yeah I forgot to tell you. My name is Ali Sharafat .

By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Hey - did anyone use that optional page to "show them why you should be admitted to MIT" in the application? I didn't do anything with it, and now that I think of it, maybe I should have. Do you think it was imperative for admission?

By Memememe (Memememe) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

I did it. Haven't been accepted, but still... I had fun with it.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

soroushy:
Yes, i meant Dwite. I've been doing it since last yr, we are VMSS, I was one of the ones that started this thing at the school, now we enter 4 teams each time, but only 2 are competitive. AB Lucas and ur school seem to do good alot.

I do not know what I got on the CCC yet. Our good comp sci teacher retired, and our current ones are lazy and dont know anything. They dont even have the marking schemes yet! Anyhow, I think my 1-3 worked perfectly, and #5 has a little glitch. During recursion, if I erased my tracks, then stack overflow problem occurs when the grid is too big. If i dont do it, it wont get the biggest somethings. I went with the later case, and it only fails when the big numbers are on the very top line...

Anyhow, so assuming I have 55, would that qualify me? I did really bad, I spent the last hour converting everything from file input to keyboard input. I hate how they changed the rules and no1 at my school knew until half way through the contests. It's ridiculous. If i didnt have to change it, I've gotten #4 for sure, it's more of a math question than comp sci, and I am better at math =)

BTW, do decisions for MIT come out March 15th? I cannt WAIT!

For Tout:
IFF u go to Don Mills, then I might have met you.

peace out

By Tout (Tout) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Hey Soroush and Emperor.

Soroush:

I thought your name was Soroush Vosoughi... =). No wonder I couldn't figure out how you could have been at last year's National Finals. But yes, I go to DMCI, and was at York last year. I was on the team that came second on Fermi Questions.

My POPTOR scores are not as amazing as yours, but I hope they are good enough to get me to the camp, and maybe the finals. I got 36, 42 and 32. I screwed up one question on the thermodynamics set - got 1/10!!! I am very optimistic about the optics set that should be getting mailed back soon.

To both Soroush and Emperor:

I did the CCC too, but I only did the junior one because programming is not a strength of mine. Last time I did anything programming related was at the end of Grade 10. I'm quite confident my score will be 60 on the Junior Division - not stellar, but MUCH better than I had anticipated.

By the way, last year's Stage 2 cutoff was 57, or so I hear from a friend. This year's contest was harder in his opinion though, so Emperor, I wouldn't count you out.

Emperor:

I do go to Don Mills. I don't recall meeting you though... I could be wrong. Stupid Waterloo doesn't invite Pascal Contest Gold Medallists to their camp. Grrr... I did get an invitation to the USA/Canada Mathcamp though, but I was stupid and didn't go because it cost too much. Oh well.

By Tout (Tout) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Oh, and Emperor, don't MIT decisions come out on in April, and not March?? The mail should get to Canada around mid April...

By Isaac (Isaac) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

http://www.pclaunch.com/~kayton/MIT/InsideAdmissions.htm...is that how it works?

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

tout:
I've only been to ur school ones about 4 yrs ago, lol. I used to go to Zion Heights Junior HS which is in the area. I used to live pretty close to AY Jackson 4 yrs ago.

Last year, I decided to go with the junior at the last minute. I didnt consider programming one of my strong points and I never practiced, it turned out i was wrong. I think this year's contest was MUCH easir compared to last year's. I could not do the last 2 questions on the Senior contest last year, and I can do all of them this year. But then again, I like recursion and this year's contest has alot of it.

Good job on those POPTOR scores! I'm pressuming ur writing the SIN contest? We just had our first practice secion, organized by the students. I am officiall in love with physics now, after I just bombed both the CCC and AMC 12B. I was lucky i did OK on the AMC 12A tho. However, now I have to do two AIMEs... 6 hours of hard math *faints*

So MIT's in April?? Darn, longer wait, lol.

peace

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

o yeah, I was gold medalist on Pascal, too.
It's too bad they dont take ppl from Pascal to the Waterloo camp! =(
I was invited to that camp in Brock, which was hosted by the coach of the Canadian IMO team. I didnt go cuz I thought i was gonna be a waste of time, but people who went told me it was good. =(
I also got invited to the American national camp, but I had to pay for it. Since I have like 200 bucks in my account, I couldnt go, It was down in Florida or something.

Hey, do u know who got perfect on the Pascal when we took it? He was the sole perfect scorer, and I HATE HIM! He costed me, lol. Just kidding, I admire him :P

peace

By Tout (Tout) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Hehe... I think it was Richard Peng, though I could be wrong. I met him before at Math Battle, perhaps I'll ask him again next time.

I'm glad you are falling in love with physics. I fell in love with it in Grade 11, and have been in love ever since!!! I will be writing the SIN and the Da Vinci and the PhysicsBowl. Most important contest, however, is the CAP. I wish I knew more integration that I could use for physics, but unfortunately I don't. I will just have to be clever with pre-calculus math.

Don't worry about the CCC... though you think it was easier this year, it may just be because of the fact that you are one year older, one year smarter, and better in general at programming with more practice.

With regards to the AMC, don't even TALK about bombing it... that's for me to moan about. You got what, in the 130's? I don't think I got even 100 =). The saddest part was I miscalculated what I needed to qualify for the AIME. I thought that each wrong question was 2.5 points OFF, rather than each unanswered question being a bonus. So I thought I had to get about 17 questions. And what makes me furious is that one of the early questions in the AMC12A was specifically asking you how many questions one would need to qualify for AIME!!! Grr... so not only did I misunderstand the contest, but because of it I got an easy question wrong. Ah, that's my sad fate.

Fortunately I didn't care much for the AMC 12 anyway - doing well on it wasn't a priority for me, so I was mildly amused at my screwup. I'll stick to my strength from now on, which is physics.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

I hate getting easy questions wrong too. I skipped 3, and got #17 wrong cuz i cannt read AT ALL. Evident with my low reading scores :P. Anynow, sometimes I hallusinate, like today, when it said clockwise, and I read counter-clockwise...and when it says a+b.. i read A, when it says 256, i read -256... see what I mean? that's how i bombed the AMC 12B, or else I would've been in the 140s *cries* :P

Hmm, I never heard of the Physics bowl and the CAP... wanna explain them to me? I only did the SIN and Da Vinci last year. And what is Math Battle, sounds like something I'd like to do, lol.

peace

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

I think I got a 150... again.

Don't hate me.

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

i think i got close

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

To Emprove and Tout :

I think Olaque (I could be spelling his name wrong) got perfect in pascal.. he goes to Don Mills.

Why did you guys write the Pascal contest last year ? isn't that for grade 10 ? I wrote the Fermat last year.

By Willothewisp (Willothewisp) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

Me^4: you mean on the B? [ramble reason="lack of desire to write stupid French essay"> I'd be scared if you got 150 on A, except by guessing on 25, since it took so damn long to calculate. But I still hate myself for not reading a_1=b_1=0. I could have gotten 136, and then I would definitely only need 9 on the AIME.

But I have a feeling that B is either always easier or people are better prepared for it. Since the cutoffs are different, maybe it won't matter that I didn't take it and get a few points higher.

And me^4, I don't hate you, you just raise the cutoff. No, I'm not obsessed, I'm just denying the obvious.

</ramble]

(square brackets needed so that it won't think my fake html tags are real)

By Memememe (Memememe) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

You know, almost all problems have a clever solution. No problem takes you more than say, 3 minutes to do once you know how to do it. And considering that the first 15 problems you should be able to do very quickly, you should have plenty of time for everything.

By Tout (Tout) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

No, Soroush, we were talking about WAY back, when both Emperor and I were young enough to write the Pascal =). It is the Grade 9 contest.

Emperor:

The PhysicsBowl is the multiple choice contest run by the American Association of Physics Teachers. There are two divisions, for Grade 11 and Grade 12 students.

The CAP is the selection exam for the Canadian IPhO team... kinda. It is similar to the CMO, I guess. The top 3 contestants on the CAP get an automatic invitation to the National Olympiad Finals. It stands for the Canadian Association of Physicists.

Math Battle is a fun competition at the University of Toronto, where teams from schools all over the place solve problems among themselves, and then challenge each other to present solutions to the set of questions. The answers are scrutinized and debated over, and points are awarded for complete / partial solutions. Fun fun!

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

FUN FUN!
lol, we have math classes like that here, except it's a little more friendly :P
I cannt do the MathBowl I guess, since I live in Windsor, and the people at my school are *cough*antisocial*cough*, so they wont be going to Toronto I guess.

CONGRADS Me^4. I think the A was much easier than the B, however, the B might look hard, but if I had 30 mins for the last 5, I could've gotten it. Unfortuantely, I started backwards, and spent 15 mins on 23, so blah...

U only need a 7 on the AIME now, I need 9... time to prepare!

Tout and Soroushy: How did u two do on Fermat last year. My school got 2nd, and I was 14th i think? dun remember.

Tout:
I am applying to U of T right now, and it asks me to choose a college before Feb 28th, which is a day from now!!! Freaking out here cuz i havent visited yet. How do u tell them which college u want to go to? Do i call or is it online somewhere cuz I couldnt find it.

Which college did u choose? I am debating between Innis, New and Trinity. I heard Trinity is hard to get in for freshmen, and Innis doesnt have a meal plan but it has single rooms.

thx for any help!

peace

By Tout (Tout) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Uh... College???? I haven't even filled out the student profile form yet - that's due on March 3rd. What program did you apply to? Engineering?

Hmm... I don't understand this application procedure at all. I already missed a McGill scholarship application deadline. Damn.

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

Emperoriv :

I chose my colleges already. My first choice was New. You can choose your colleges online. I don't remember the website now but they should have sent you an email which included the url for the website.

Emeroriv and Tout :

Any of you guys applying to UoW Software Engineering ? If so , have you sent your AIF's yet ?

By Tout (Tout) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Hmm... I hear from friends that engineering students do not need to worry about colleges...

Soroush - I applied to Waterloo Physics - I got my acceptance already! =) Not that it's anything to be proud of. Their cutoff is 70's.

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

To Tout.

Good job on getting accepted .
I didn't know waterloo has early admission. Do you have to anything to be considered for early admission?

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

To Tout.

Good job on getting accepted .
I didn't know waterloo has early admission. Do you have to anything to be considered for early admission?

By Tout (Tout) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Not really. You just have to apply to an easy program - and Software Engineering isn't easy!

If you ask around, you'll probably find other Waterloo applicants who have been accepted early - to the health sciences in particular. So it's nothing special.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

hey guys:
I found the page after I posted here, and my first choice was Innis, followed by New. This is because most people here are going to innis and I already know people there. Besides, it has appartments style rooms =) It doesnt have a meal plan, but since China town is near-by, what's there to worry? :P

I applied to Life Sciences and Engineering Science at UofT. The CAS faculty requires me to fill it out before the 28t, regardless of admission. For engineeering, they will send u a form with ur acceptance.

I already finished ALL my application stuff for Canadian Universities. I did the SPF for U of T, 3 different AIFs for U of Waterloo cuz I applied to 3 of the hardest programs there: math and business double degree and the national math scholarship (95% avg); the biotech+accounting double degree (low to mid 90s) and the mechantronics engineering (low 90s).

I havent heard back from Waterloo yet, but a few of my friends got accepted to life sciences where they were way above the admission avg. I think the harder programs takes long, but I'd advise u to do ur AIF ASAP!

I got accepted by Western a while back with 10k. It was my first acceptance letter, and I was very excited to know that I am wanted SOMEWHERE! =) But the admission avg was like 75%, so nothing to be pround of...

I got my result for CCC, i got 47 =*( . For #2, the last 2 input files were too big for turing to handle, so my program couldnt run. Wasnt my problem at all, stupid turing... ARRGS

So here are my marks
#1: 15
#2 : 9
#3: 12 the last test case terminated unexpectedly
#4: 0 skipped it
#5: 11 had a little problem with it...

so there goes my chance of meeting soroushy :P

peace

By Tout (Tout) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

Man, that's unfortunate. Why did you use Turing though? Was it the same program you used for last year's Junior contest?

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

I always do turing cuz C++ sux at strings... and it's easir to compile in Turing.

My classes are taught in turing, so I guess I'm used to it

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

I used Turing last year and it really sucked. for problem #4 last year some of the input files had more than 255 characters which is the max number of characters that turing supports so I lost some point on problem 4 last yearand I learned my lesson. This year I did 4 of the problems with Delphi and 1 with c++

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

that's what happened to me this year. If they allow turing as an official language, then they should've accounted for that in the marking input...

Did u guys write in File input or keyboard input?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

hey, so when do all these spf and aif forms gotta be in by, im going for waterloo honours physical and computational, and utoronto engineering science, i'm prolly gonna finish them both this weekend, but when are they actually due? i only got my stuff from both schools like a week ago, and one says do it within 2 weeks or receiving it, and the other within a month, so is there even a due date?

By Tout (Tout) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

UT Engsci forms are due at the beginning of March. Waterloo is pretty open ended. If you are aiming for MIT, you can probably get into Waterloo without even filling out the forms - that's what happened to me.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

yeah, i mean, i got a killer average, im expecting to walk into uoft or waterloo with scholarships, and my sats are awesome too. im going to put down my sat scores anyways, even tho i dont need them. it says if they apply to you, and im not an american seeking entrance, but i'll put them down anyways

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Emperorive :

All of the programs read the input from a file and outputed the results into the screen.

Did you use recursion for problem #3 ?

By Tout (Tout) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Mitwannabe:

What is your average right now? My four Grade 12 credits first semester have a 94.75% average - not stellar, but I hope it will go up by the end of the year. What scholarships are you expecting to get from Waterloo and UT?

I put down my SAT scores too. If they are good, then they will definitely help your admission chances into some of the more competitive programs such as Engineering Science. Out of curiosity, how "awesome" are your SAT's?

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Emperorive and Tout :

Are you guys doing the ECOO competition ? If so then I will see you in April

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

okay, well, im actually not expecting scholarships at all, just because there are so many qualified people and people who won competitions and such that I might get a couple small ones, but nothing to really make me jump for joy. My grade 11 average where I took most of my grade 12 courses in was 98.13, and then combined with my grade 12 courses this term drops a little to 98.09, damn arts courses, lol, but I mean, basically if you got anything over 92 or 93 you're in good shape for admission, right? I presume if you're on this board you've got some other stellar stuff, so u of t should be a definite in for you too. hopefully i'll get into some american schools tho (as suggested by use name ;), but these schools are really solid - u got that engineering at utoronto booklet too eh, it looks pretty cool. I want to study physics at waterloo or aerospace option with eng sci at toronto. oh yeah, sats i got 1560 (800M), 800s in writing, math2c, and physics. if they help for engineering science that'd be cool, you wouldn't think taking american standardized tests would help, but every little bit does. anyways, i gotta fill out these forms and submit them today, so i'm gonna get back to that.

cheers

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

hey guys:
Soroushy: What is the ECOO? I might have heard of it but forgot? I am probably going to be doing science fairs from April to May, cuz regional is in April, and then Canadian fairs, and then Intel ISEF in May.
So give me some insight into the ECOO?
And yes, I used recursion for 3 and 5. 5 is purely recursion. For 3, I used a flexible array combined with one recursion proc.
The new rules say all input should be from keyboard while output to screen. Taht is why I spend my last hour converting my programs into keyboard input. I hate how they changed the rules, but since ALOT of ppl used file, they wont even care.

To MITwannabe:
98% is a really high avg, I have around 96% for top 6, and about 95% for G12 courses, I have 10 of them. I hate English, it's my lowest mark all through HS.
For scholarships, I think only the entrance ones care alot about ur avg, but not the big big ones. I think extra-curricular matter alot, and winning competitions do too. I applied to the national math one at U of Waterloo, and Millinum. I am going to apply for the Reach For the Top one next month.
Which ones are u going for?

Both Toronto and Waterloo have spots for SAT scores, so obviously they care.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 03:48 am: Edit

interesting, i dont even recall my waterloo app wanting sat scores, i applied to physics, so whatever, man, decisions in about 2 weeks, counting down the days ........

By Cnn (Cnn) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

RANDOM FACT:
http://web.mit.edu/aboutmit/index.html
says 57 noble prize winners --> MIT related

http://www.news.harvard.edu/glance/
says 40 noble prize winners --> Harvard related

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

did u guys hear back from Eng Sci at Toronto yet? I'm anxious, it's the only program I like in Canada.

By Tout (Tout) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

EngSci is probably one of the most selective programs in Canada. I doubt we'll hear from them any earlier than their published date.

By Soroushv (Soroushv) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Emperoriv :

ECOO is the Educational Computing Organization of Ontario. They have a Provincial programming competition. The top two teams in each board go to the regional competition, the top 16 go to the final provincial competition.

I did apply to Eng Sci at Toronto, but I haven't heard back yet. (I just submitted my SPF four days ago). Have you heard back ?

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

nope, havent heard anything except some invitations to go and visit...

When are the ECOO competitions? I might be able to get a team together and go!

By Rook16 (Rook16) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

I know that its a common request but can anyone tell me my chances of being accepted into MIT.

GPA: 4.1

SAT: 1480 (740V/740M)
Im retaking for math

AP's: European History(4), Statistics(5), Physics B(5), Chemistry(5), Physics (5),
Calculus AB(5), and Computer Science(5)

EC's: Chess- President of Chess Team
9th Place in '03 9th Grade Nationals
Rating of ~1700
Soccer- JV for 1 year, and Varsity for 2
Swimming- Varsity all 3 years
Band- All 4 years and Marching Band 2
Jazz Ensemble for 3 years
I play percussion, guitar and piano
Have my own Rock Band
Key Club- 4 years
Science Club

No major awards unfortunately

By Rook16 (Rook16) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 08:29 am: Edit

Also, can someone tell me what people mean by research experience?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page