Freshman Advising Seminars

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Freshman Advising Seminars
By Wintersoul (Wintersoul) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

On the page where you sign up for Freshman Advising Seminars, it says that the lottery does not take ranking into account. Does this mean that if you enter more than one choice you will be randomly assigned to one of your choices? If so, do you think it would be better to enter only your top choice and risk not getting it and being assigned to a Traditional Advisor, or to enter all of your choices and risk being assigned to a seminar that is not your top choice?

Also, what type of advising are you all thinking about?
My top choice seminar is Games, Puzzlers, and Other Things to Think With.

By Dewgrl55 (Dewgrl55) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 03:19 am: Edit

Why don't you enter your top choice all 5 times? ;)

That's what I did!

By Jarchivist (Jarchivist) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

It doesn't take ranking into account in the sense that you won't get penalized for putting a certain seminar in 5th place, i.e. even though you ranked a seminar 5th, if the other four don't have space and the fifth does, you can take the seminar.

I'm pretty sure that's what they mean, although as paraphrase here, I'm slightly confused. In general, that's what ranking choices at MIT means -- they'll try their best to put you in your first choice, then go down the list.

By Bluestardust (Bluestardust) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

if you live in Next House, do you have to do RBA? or can you do a normal freshman advising seminar instead?

By Jarchivist (Jarchivist) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

You have to RBA in Next House, to the best of my knowledge; it's part of being a frosh at next house.

By Wintersoul (Wintersoul) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

I e-mailed someone from Freshman advising services, and this is what she told me:

"The lottery does not take ranking into account. Therefore, you should be absolutely certain that you have listed seminars you're only interested in staying with, because you cannot drop the seminar. The seminar leader is your freshman advisor. However, if you're worried about this, you can re-submit your choices, listing only those seminars which are most interesting to you. The system will overwrite your prior application."

This still makes no sense. I think I'll try again.

By 08beaver (08beaver) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

what doesn't make sense about it? If you don't like one, you can't give it a low rank since ranking is not taken into account. Just don't touch those that you dont' like.

By Angrod (Angrod) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

I guess that people who apply for F/ASIP can only sign up for traditional based advising since a seminar takes 6 credits and you cannot drop a seminar if you get into F/ASIP which is also 6 credits. (Sorry, probably confusing, too lazy to fix it :)) Am I right, or can I still apply for seminar based advising?

By Jarchivist (Jarchivist) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

F/ASIP is 3 credits in the spring (And 3 more in the fall of your sophomore year). The seminar and the workshops run from fall into spring, then you do your internship summer, and in the fall, you do a short presentation. For this, you get a total of 6 credits, 3 in the spring, 3 in the fall. It does not affect your fall credit limit.

In a few words: You CAN apply for seminar-based advising.

From the website:
"Q. How do the credits work with SP.800 and SP.801?

A: SP.800 is a 3-units graded course that you pre-register for the spring term. If you are successful in finding an internship for the summer, you will be eligible to enroll in SP.801for the fall of your sophomore year for another 3 units. If you complete F/ASIP, there is a total of 6 graded units possible."

By Angrod (Angrod) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

A ha! Thanks a bunch Jarchivist

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page