National Math/Chem olympiad outside the US.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: National Math/Chem olympiad outside the US.
By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:32 am: Edit

I'm participating in the national math and chem olympiad. The thing is, I won't be able to take the tests in English, so I'm at a huge disadvantage. Will MIT (or any other school, really) care at all about the fact that the language put me at a disadvantage? I'm good at Spanish, but it's the scientific/technical terms that will be tough.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 09:21 am: Edit

your participating in the US olympiads (in which case you should be able to get the tests in English), or the olympiads for some other country?

Scientific/technical material is usually much easier to read in a foreign language than literature would be. Most of the specialized terms are more or less the same.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

I'm competing in another country, in Spanish. I can do it in English, no problem.

I'm concerned with explaining myself using technical terms, that is all.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Any feedback?

I talked to the olympiad guy and he said I'd probably have to take it in Spanish. =/

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

bump.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

qualifying for olympiads is good. I don't think colleges are going to mince it down into what your score would have been in a different language. If you qualify for the IMO or IChO, you can do that in English.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page