West Coast vs. East Coast

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Stanford University: West Coast vs. East Coast
By Icernnr (Icernnr) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

So I now have the problem of deciding between MIT and Stanford, since I am committed to MIT but recently got off the Stanford waitlist. I want to go the science track, but not necessarily engineering by any means.

I've idealized Boston my entire life (coming from Minnesota), but have wanted to live in California at least some time in my life.

I like Stanford better as a school, but not the surrounding area. Boston beats any place in my mind! Plus, Boston is the best college city in the world.

Is it realistic to think that I can live in Boston after I graduate from Stanford? Maybe get into grad-school in Boston, or a find a job there? Or is it something I don't really have control over? I've also heard the Stanford isn't held in as high regard on the East Coast. Is that true?

Thanks for the input.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

I think Stanford is very well regarded no matter where you go. The West vs. East Coast prestige difference only means that on the West Coast, Stanford is slightly more prestigious than Yale and Princeton, whereas on the East Coast Yale and Princeton are slightly more prestigious than Stanford. Harvard is still Harvard no matter where you go, and the lower ivies are less reknowned than Stanford on the East and West Coast. Anyway, Stanford goes from #2 best school in the world in the eyes of West Coasters to #4 best school in the world in the eyes of East Coasters. The prestige differences are minimal, and even the most die-hard East Coaster has to concede that Stanford is right up there with Harvard.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Harvard, the Stanford of the East.

By Faizzan (Faizzan) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Both schools are terrific...there both in a category where you really cant say that one is more presitigous than the other. whether is be west coast or east coast. both universities i feel are highly regarded whether your looking for placements in the east coast or the west. and remember education is what you make out of it. i am more than confident that either school will make little to no difference in where you may want to end up whether it be boston or anywhere else.
Congrads on a job well done

Hope all is well

Faizzan

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

if u feel that academics is more imp to you, then MIT, else Stanford, coz the research oppurtunities at MIT are just great. Even if u want to change majors later MIT Sloan School is nothing to be ashamed of.

IMO MIT gives a better undergrad education than Stanford for Sciences and Engineering. so go to MIT (+u like boston) also at MIT u can cross register for classes at that university across the street!

By Lean (Lean) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:29 am: Edit

Undergrad is the time to explore different areas both in EC and academics. Stanford is definitely better for that. MIT would be great for grad school research in science and engineering.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page