Baker vs Simmons vs Burton-Conner

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: Baker vs Simmons vs Burton-Conner
By Wdm (Wdm) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 02:48 am: Edit

Thoughts on Baker, Simmons, and Burton-Conner

By Binks (Binks) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 03:33 am: Edit

social, modern, quite.

By Quain (Quain) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 09:12 am: Edit

I heard Simmons is quite "wild", is this true?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

this is a good thread b/c im choosing between at least 2 of those, namely baker and simmons. reasons: baker is nice and close and has a good social atmosphere, though i may want a single. simmons is nice and new and has large rooms, but the walk is a bit further than from baker. it ultimately comes down to "do i want a new, larger, single room" or a "bustling, socially alive, close to campus room". someone said baker is usually noisy, but i cant imagine the whole place is noisy, i mean, ppl need to study in peace and quiet. anyone else wanna shed light on these two dorms, and i guess other ones too?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

wait a sec, does simmons have singles or what now? on the mit housing website it says freshmen have singles and doubles, but i think i recall reading only doubles available in the orientation package we got in that thick booklet. cna anyone clarify?

By Alex614 (Alex614) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit

As it stands, all the upperclassmen have taken all the singles in Simmons. Therefore, incoming freshman can only get doubles at Simmons.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

!$@^!$@!&^%!@*(!^%#!%#^$!^%#$!#!%@^%$*&^@($*^!@!^%#(&!%)*$@#%$&!$%@#@#@^%$#^@$#!*^$#$@#@#@&^$@!&^$#!#&# *breathe* @^#%&^#%@$#^%!$#%@#^%@$#*^$@#^%@$&#@@#^%$&@$%&#%@$#^%@$#^%@$##.

that is a shame.

By Pillsburychoboy (Pillsburychoboy) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:33 am: Edit

Here's my thoughts -

I stayed in Simmons for CPW and hung out for a while in Baker.

Simmons Pros:
- Bathroom and shower in each room (rather than a shared one down the hall)
- Bigger rooms
- Cleaner rooms, lounge areas, and dining hall

Simmons Cons:
- VERY odd architecture, inside and out; some rooms look like they have climbing walls in them and all rooms seem to have like 18+ windows.
- horrendous room ergonomics
- 2-3 minutes further away from campus than Baker
- isn't as social as Baker (which could be a pro, depending on who you are), but it's not full of hermits either

Baker Pros:
- more social (again, could be a con for some people); people are always around
- closer to campus
- coherent architecture

Baker Cons
- smaller rooms
- communal bathrooms and showers
- noisy compared to Simmons; people constantly bustling around in the halls and lounge areas

For me, it's kind of a toss up. I'll put one or the other as my first choice.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:43 am: Edit

pillsburychoboy, great insight! based on your descriptions im almost leaning towards simmons over baker coming in a close second. by communal showers u mean ones used by everyone right, not the communal showers that ppl think of stereotpically as just a wall of shower heads with no dividers or privacy etc. haha, i probably just answered my own question. the only con for me about simmons is the extra distance to get to campus and the lack of a view onto the charles river and downtown boston. other than that, it would be an ideal place for me. that and i wish they still had singles, but hey, single or double, each has its own pros and cons. one thing that irritates me is that if i come home say at 2 or 3am, i gotta make sure to creep and tiptoe into my room careful not to wake up my roomie, whereas with a single i can storm in at will, throw my things on the ground and unwind. that's one of a few reasons id want a single. oh wells.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 02:31 am: Edit

chances are, your roommate will also still be awake at that time.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

i hope so too then, cuz at princeton for example, i was hanging out with some buddies till 3am, and i came back, and i felt bad cuz ppl were sleeping, and no one was up, and im like wtf is this, haha

By Abyss (Abyss) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

haha.

but really, i didn't notice that simmons was significantly further from the main campus than anyone in baker down to next. when i visited, it barely looked like a few feet of difference. i already walk a fairly long distance to school now so i'm wondering if it's just me or what...

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

no you're right. i also thought, hey, it's just a couple steps to the z center, and boom, you're already at the start of the infinite corridor. then i actually walked it, back and forth. let's just say it required a stop to the convenience store for a beverage out of exhaustion. lol, j/k. but it was a good stretch. it is a nice dorm. i want a view tho, b/c the thing is baker or simmons, i may get a viw onto the charles or onto mit, or i could get a crappy view onto the rotting bricks next door, or the beautiful concrete wall of the building next to me.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

lol .. back to english. i've pretty much eliminated baker for a while now, but there are other things to consider - like baker fills up quite fast and they have no reservation about putting 4 people into one room. when i saw them, i must say i was amazed at the living conditions (imagine 4 people.. and not a considerably large amount of space = complete mess).

but did you really think that simmons was long walk? well i guess i'll get into great shape then! (i also heard that climbing up the complicated stairway/ elevator system can be a pain)

the concrete wall point is very true, but because of the way baker is built, a great majority of the rooms have views and even the ones facing walls don't seem to be unpopular.. unless of course, you're the type to be staring out of your window often. :)

By Bluestardust (Bluestardust) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

lol, mitwannabe- i did the exact same thing at princeton too- why the heck was everyone asleep!?

one thing i really didn't like about simmons was that of the bathrooms i saw, all the sinks looked like they belonged on an airplane, train or bus. they were made out of the stainless steel bowls, were pathetically small, and lodged in a tiny corner by the door. maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine... but it really annoyed me. *shrug*

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

bluestardust: which dorms are you considering?
oh yeah, and i figured you might know this, do you happen to have an idea where the mit observatory is? i remember seeing some class that meets in the evening and u keep a log of observations and it seemed really cool, but even if i didnt end up taking the course id like to check out the observatory every once in a while.

By Star69 (Star69) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

Any comments on burton connor or have all the miters already gone home for summer break?

By Bluestardust (Bluestardust) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

i'm considering next and new house (the numbered houses, not the cultural houses - my german speaking skills are none too good), maybe east campus too, and possibly baker.

i stayed at next for cpw and liked it alot. i also really liked the structure of new house. i also stayed at EC and liked it too, but i gotta say... there are some funky smells in that dorm... (mainly generated from the kitchen- not necessarily bad odors, but definitely different). you get used to it tho. after my second day there, i barely noticed the weird smell (don't mind me and my random observations of airplane-esque sinks and strange odors). :)
annnnnnyway.... the people at EC are awesome. they're really smart and do wacky, fun, and spontaneous stuff. i know i'll never be bored there and i can always find someone to help me w/ psets.

i dont know if mit has an observatory on campus (it seems it would be pretty pointless, since its in the middle of the city). however i do know one of the grad students that teaches the intro to observational astronomy course (she's really cool). i think this is the course you're describing: http://stellar.mit.edu/S/course/12/sp04/12.409/index.html

it says they use 8-inch telescopes, so i dont think u use an observatory for that course. however, there is one course where u go to Lowell observatory in AZ for a week to do research.

these are all the observatories that mit is associated with: http://occult.mit.edu/observatories/index.html
my guess is that if you can find a professor who's doing work at one of these observatories, you could get a urop with him/her and possibly go there (i'm only speculating tho).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page