MIT Grad Dorms?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: MIT Grad Dorms?
By Calkidd (Calkidd) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 02:33 am: Edit

A little off topic for CC, I know, but I was wondering if anyone on this board had been to any of the grad student dorms at MIT. How do you think they compare to the grad dorms over at Harvard?

Thanks.

By Calkidd (Calkidd) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Come on guys. Surely some people on the MIT board are considering grad school there. Does anyone know anything about these grad dorms??

Thanks.

By Wintermute (Wintermute) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Well...I stayed with a sorority during CPW that was housed in the Sydney-Pacific graduate dorm. It was very new-looking and clean. The suites were very nice compared to other (undergraduate) dorms. That's about all I can say...

By Binks (Binks) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

The "warehouse" dorm has nice big singles and pretty clean facilities. Ashdown is the closest dorm on campus, but I've never been inside.

By Corny (Corny) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:31 am: Edit

That question is pretty broad. The grad school dorms at Harvard are different depending on which school you're attending. Business School dorms are way better than Law School dorms. Rooms at Morris Hall at the B-school are very small but are decorated like little hotel rooms. They are all singles.

Edgerton at MIT is a nice grad dorm although people were complaining due to the construction that was going on next door at the old NECCO factory (made candy). It has a lounge with satellite tv, an exercise room and laundry area. There are very few singles and most are 2 or 3 bedroom suites (assignment is by lottery). There is a central courtyard where bbqs are held during the summer. It's also about a three minute walk to campus. The main highlight of the MIT dorms is having ultra fast internet connections. I remember downloading a 50 Mb file in about 3-4 minutes.

By Calkidd (Calkidd) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Thanks guys. I'm in a PhD program that's joint between Harvard and MIT so can choose grad (PhD) dorms at either place.

Edgerton sounds nice to me. Thanks.

By Jarchivist (Jarchivist) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:12 am: Edit

Grad dorms are hard to get into at MIT, guaranteed only for the first year. I'm not sure if that holds for HST students (which is what I assume you are)

Sid-Pac is new and has spectacular facilities. Ashdown is 2nd oldest grad dorm in the country but close to campus, and is pretty well-maintained.
Westgate is a high-rise and has small individual rooms, 4 of which share a common room, with huge windows. 1/2 the common rooms face the river.
Eastgate allows families, if that's a concern.
Edgerton - I know nothing about. Necco construction is almost done.

All the dorms have BBQ areas, bike racks, gym, internet. To lobby 7 (MIT main entrance) I'd say Ashdown is a 2 minute walk, Edgerton is more like a 10 minute walk, Sid-Pac is 15 minutes, Westgate is 15-20 (despending on weather), Eastgate is about the same.

I think that's all the grad dorms... on the other hand, I'm not a grad student and have only walked by most of them.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page