What makes an MIT student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: What makes an MIT student
By Smillegal (Smillegal) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

literally. I mean how many EC hours do you need ( on average ), research projects ( on average ) sat1 ,2 scores, ap's, and academic competitions. More detailed than usual. I am just curious.

By Brum (Brum) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:00 am: Edit

according to US News, the average SAT I = 1490

25% - 75%
1420 - 1560

By Vecter (Vecter) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

i don't SAT scores alone tell the story...

smillegal, i don't think people pack their resumes, i think they pursue a passion to the utmost ability given their resources. find something you love and DO it, and excel at it. that'll set you apart enough.

By Bmckn (Bmckn) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Literally? Well, on a small scale, I assume they're carbon-based like most students. On a larger scale, a skeletal structure, a nervous system, lots of organs and muscles. I'd say 60% water, but in the case of an MIT student, I'm betting it's more along the lines of 60% coffee.

DO YOU GET IT?
BECAUSE THEY STAY UP SO LATE. HA HA. HA HA.

By 2bad4u (2bad4u) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

I agree with Vecter. Throughout High School never did anything to get into MIT. I just did what I liked like research and various other things. I think MIT admissions is different in that it looks for people with a passion for something rather than ivy's who seem to prefer resume packers but i'm not absolutely sure,I didn't apply ivy league but it seems like that's the way it works at ivy's from people who were accepted and applied.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I know someone who got in (but she's a she) with good SATs: 1500, 800, 740, 720, about 5 APs, some ECs, no research, 110 on AMC12, 3 on AIME, nothin too outstanding. Maybe her essays were good.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

No sexism thing, but they try to get more girls than would be natural at MIT, so they give them preference.

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

What makes an MIT student? LOVE OF MATH AND SCIENCE. That's enough, really...

By Binks (Binks) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

true. but people here are really well rounded.

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

You're right about that. But you can't NOT like math and science and go to MIT. That'd just be plain wroooonngggg...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page