General elective credit?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Individual Schools: US News Top 25: Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 2004 Archive: General elective credit?
By Solus (Solus) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I'm looking at AP credit policy at MIT, and am loosing motivation to do well on some of my AP's and IB's.

This may be a stupid question, but, what does "general elective credit" go towards? This is what you get for 5 on any of the humanities.. or a 6/7 on any humanities IB HL exam.

Taking ap physics c, ib hl math, and ib hl english - those seem to be the only ones I would get advanced placement for. Would I be better off concentrating my efforts on these, and not worrying about other exams that would give me general elective credit?

By Gogoinwi (Gogoinwi) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

It's really confusing to me as well. I might be wrong, but here's what I got out of it.

For every major there's a certain number of credits you have to take that are made up of courses within the major. Then there's the HASS requirement. Even more broad is general elective credit, which I think is something like 50 credits of anything, and in general HASS-like AP exams can be used to cover this type of credit.

I would actually focus on other exams over the English one, since you don't get credit for it, just a bigger variety of courses to choose from.

Maybe a current MIT student would do a better job of explaining this...

By Solus (Solus) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

I was hoping a 6 or 7 on IB Higher Level English would be equiv to a 5 on AP English - exempting from the FEE requirement...

Can anyone give insight?... yes, a current MIT student would be most helpful.

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

I think the English (either) gives you credit AND a bigger variety of courses. Not that you would study for it anyway...

By Bob_3002 (Bob_3002) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

A 5 on the AP English exam exempts you from taking the FEE. That's all. If you don't pass the FEE, you have to take a writing class your first term.

General elective credit counts for almost nothing. It really only becomes important if you're trying to double major. Each of the majors will have a credit requirement beyond the GIRs, and you can use that credit to fulfill this requirement.

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

A 5 on any AP Exam in a humanities subject will give you general elective credit. Actually, I think it means more when you have a major with fewer requirements. In addition to the 17-subject GIR requirement, you must complete 180 units beyond the GIRs. If your major has lots of requirements you'll complete the 180 units with no problem. If you're majoring in bio or math, however, you'll still need more units to graduate after you finish the GIRs and the requirements for your major. This is where the elective credit comes in - you'll already have a certain number of units beyond the GIRs. (I came in with 27, so that's about 2 fewer classes I have to take at the end.)

By Adulichka (Adulichka) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

I had a similar question. I'm planning on taking AP tests in BC Calc, English, Euro. Hist. and Physics. My main concern is the history, which I would have to do a lot of work for in order to get a 5, is it really worth doing all that prep work for the general elective credit it will give me?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page